Sniff Kline Communication

itsrealfast
cars: Honda Civic

Sniff Kline Communication

Post by itsrealfast »

Hi,

I am looking to sniff Kline data from a scan tool and reproduce what its doing. The scan tool is for a 2002 to 2005 Honda Motorcycle. The system uses a K-line for diagnostics.

I would like to make my own tool that will read the fault codes and be able to clear them.

I still have to figure out the baud rate. Any suggestion on how to tackle that?

Any suggestion on a good cheap tool used to sniff Kline packets and properly display them.

I have a USB to serial converter connected to a MC33290 thats been working great but pretty crude setup. I am looking for an official product with nice user interface.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks again
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Sniff Kline Communication

Post by antus »

i'd say develop your tool further. i wrote a vpw protocol decoder for logic analyser in python, wasnt too hard, but the product hasnt been updated and never got windows drivers so I wouldnt recommend it now. If you have the data in byte form, or logic levels, it shouldnt be too hard to take it to the next level. Otherwise something like a J2534 tool and get the source code for pcmhammer and modify it so that it just sets k-line and reads and logs packets. There might be an off the shelf product out there but most the OEM products are expensive and the DIY products are similar to what you have.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
itsrealfast
cars: Honda Civic

Post by itsrealfast »

antus wrote:i'd say develop your tool further. i wrote a vpw protocol decoder for logic analyser in python, wasnt too hard, but the product hasnt been updated and never got windows drivers so I wouldnt recommend it now. If you have the data in byte form, or logic levels, it shouldnt be too hard to take it to the next level. Otherwise something like a J2534 tool and get the source code for pcmhammer and modify it so that it just sets k-line and reads and logs packets. There might be an off the shelf product out there but most the OEM products are expensive and the DIY products are similar to what you have.
Hi thanks for your response. I have a Tractix cable and was thinking of buying a AVT-852 from AVT. I just need someone that I can send the logs to they figure out the communication and type up how it works. I'm willing to pay a freelancer if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Best way to learn is through trial and error. Also read up on some examples about Kline and understand how the actual protocol works and example packets.

Once you understand how it actual works and examples frames, you can apply it to the logs you get :)
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726