VPW Analyzer Tool

jlvaldez
cars: '01 - Corvette Z06
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Re: VPW Analyzer Tool

Post by jlvaldez »

Gampy wrote:That is exactly what is supposed to happen ... It is followed by ATZ, atz needs to be tested to ensure it returns OK, then the rest of the commands while also checking each for their proper response.
Welp, I just finished commiting and doing a pull request to the main branch with these bug fixes.

Sadly, I did the pull request incorrectly and it merged all the commits into the main branch instead of just the latest one... I'll have to try again next time. Oh well, it's my test project to try to learn how this crap works lol

It does now send a \r and then verified response from device.

Aaron, can you test the latest version with your OBDLink and let me know what you get? It should also now recognize that you have an OBDLink (i think it'll show up as an STN part, maybe...)

My desktop doesn't have a bluetooth module, so I can't easily test this. All the sleeps have been removed and instead verification of response is done before sending more commands (the proper way).

I also fixed the shutdown bug. As expected, it was indeed a threaded task issue where the forked thread was hanging the main process. I am no UI developer, and don't have much of a concept of how UI threads are supposed to work.

I tagged the latest version as 0.2. Almost useful now...
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Working with your own repository ...

As long as no other changes happen to Master in the meantime, the simple steps are ...

Checkout Master
Create new branch
. . Make your modifications/feature
Stage Changes
Commit Changes
Checkout master
Merge new branch
Push origin
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
jlvaldez
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

Gampy wrote:Working with your own repository ...

As long as no other changes happen to Master in the meantime, the simple steps are ...

Checkout Master
Create new branch
. . Make your modifications/feature
Stage Changes
Commit Changes
Checkout master
Merge new branch
Push origin
Yeah that's exactly what I did. I think I might've done the wrong kind of merge. Need something that flattens all the commits in the dev branch for a single commit to the main branch.

I made a dev branch, did all my updates in that. Had commits A, B and C. When I switched to main to do the merge of dev, it simply moved commits A B and C from Dev to main.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Exactly what it's supposed to do ...

I assume Main is Master and Dev is your Feature branch.

I suspect, you wanted to do a Commit for A, then a Commit Amend for B and C ... That would result in a single commit, thus a single commit to merge into master.

In Visual Studio, Commit Amend is called Amend Previous Commit, it's under the Actions drop down in Changes!

[edit]
I should mention that personally, as a repository owner/maintainer, I prefer not to merge locally, I prefer to push my feature branch, create a Pull Request, then Rebase and merge from the Github GUI, then locally check out the master branch and do a pull to update the local repository ...

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

jlvaldez wrote:
Gampy wrote:That is exactly what is supposed to happen ... It is followed by ATZ, atz needs to be tested to ensure it returns OK, then the rest of the commands while also checking each for their proper response.
Welp, I just finished commiting and doing a pull request to the main branch with these bug fixes.

Sadly, I did the pull request incorrectly and it merged all the commits into the main branch instead of just the latest one... I'll have to try again next time. Oh well, it's my test project to try to learn how this crap works lol

It does now send a \r and then verified response from device.

Aaron, can you test the latest version with your OBDLink and let me know what you get? It should also now recognize that you have an OBDLink (i think it'll show up as an STN part, maybe...)

My desktop doesn't have a bluetooth module, so I can't easily test this. All the sleeps have been removed and instead verification of response is done before sending more commands (the proper way).

I also fixed the shutdown bug. As expected, it was indeed a threaded task issue where the forked thread was hanging the main process. I am no UI developer, and don't have much of a concept of how UI threads are supposed to work.

I tagged the latest version as 0.2. Almost useful now...

Code: Select all

PS C:\Users\aaron\vpw_analyzer> python .\vpw_analyzer.py
Opening serial port: COM10
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\aaron\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\threading.py", line 973, in _bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "C:\Users\aaron\vpw_analyzer\vpw_analyzer.py", line 395, in run
    self.obd.open()
  File "C:\Users\aaron\vpw_analyzer\vpw_analyzer.py", line 80, in open
    if (b'OK' not in reset_response and reset_response[-1] != b'>'): raise Exception("Device did not acknowledge reset request")
Exception: Device did not acknowledge reset request
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Looks like a Port Open failure ... Check the COM port is valid.

jlvaldez
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

Pulling out my laptop now so I can do some testing on the OBDLink device. It could very well be something simple. For whatever reason it seems like it did not receive the expected response from the device. I should have the exceptions also dump the raw output.

Edit:
Found out what it is. OBDLink doesn't return "OK" when you send atz. Seems like the OBDX and OBDLink respond differently to reset commands... ha....

Guess we're just checking for a > afterwards!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

It's not supposed to, it's supposed to return the ELM version ...
STN_ATZ_Response.png
STN_ATZ_Response.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 10448 times
The key strokes were,
enter
ate1 enter
atz enter

If you just test for the prompt, all you know is it returned, not if it was successful or not ... You should test against expected values!
I would create a function SendExpectResponse(atCommand, expectedResponse) that does this and returns true on success.

Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

jlvaldez wrote:Pulling out my laptop now so I can do some testing on the OBDLink device. It could very well be something simple. For whatever reason it seems like it did not receive the expected response from the device. I should have the exceptions also dump the raw output.

Edit:
Found out what it is. OBDLink doesn't return "OK" when you send atz. Seems like the OBDX and OBDLink respond differently to reset commands... ha....

Guess we're just checking for a > afterwards!
OBDX responds different for ATZ. It was an oversite on my behalf.

ELM protocol dictates sending ATZ results in full reset of the device and then sending the device name (ELM327 v1.4 or v2.1 ect). I kinda disagree with that method but being elm compliant, its suppose to. Hasnt seemed to stop it working with any other software's though.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Tazzi wrote:OBDX responds different for ATZ. It was an oversite on my behalf.
:o :shock: Shame on you!

All them atta boys wiped out by that one awe shit! :P :roll:

Technically, according to Hoyle (the specs), ATZ returns the Product ID so software can configure appropriately, the important part being, so software can configure appropriately.