Program to open?

darkman5001
cars: 2004 Suburban, 2001 Tahoe, 2002 Envoy, 2006 Envoy, 2003 Lincoln LS

Program to open?

Post by darkman5001 »

I see alot of open source programs on here and Github. How do you run these programs? They don't have .exe files.
Gampy

Re: Program to open?

Post by Gampy »

You typically have to compile/build the source code to get the binaries with items from GitHub ... Some do provide binaries, most do not.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

For me, it usually says what language it's using on the main github page.. For some reason I like c#... Not saying it's batter or anything, just what I've had the most experience with..

So I have visual studio installed. I had it load everything for c#.. pretty big, need lots of hard drive space..

Since I have visual studio installed I download everything by clicking code and then download source.. Once that's done I unzip it and then double slick on the .sln file(solution file) and it usually loads it right up.. If I'm super lucky when i click build it builds it first try, usually I have errors because of missing things, sometimes I don't have a library installed, etc.. But that's how I get it started..

You can do the same thing for c or c++, etc as far as I know.. I have done a few c++ programs the same say from github..
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

If you look on the right side of the page there will be a "Releases" section.
Sometimes that will just say "No releases published," in which case you'll need to compile the software yourself.

But often there will be a link to a page that has a description of the release and (at the bottom) an "assets" section that where you can download the .exe file, or a .zip file that contains the .exe and some DLLs.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!