BA Falcon Stanalone harness

Ford information and tools can be found here
Jayme

BA Falcon Stanalone harness

Post by Jayme »

Hi all, im hoping someone on here knows someone who has played with BA PCM's. im trying to get a BA engine running standalone for a speedway car. what im after is info from someone who has done a standalone engine conversion on one of these who can tell me the steps on what to do to get it running.

what we did so far is to use hptuners to turn off the anti theft (PATS) and then disconnect the key reader. the engine started ok after that so we thought we would be ok and proceeded to remove all the other module wiring from the car except for the engine harness. once completed, the engine would no longer start. the only DTC was U1900 which just means the PCM is looking for other modules on the can bus and cant find them. at this point we could still read DTCs and PID's but we couldnt flash the PCM anymore so we did a bit of research and wired up the BEM again to CAN and ignition, which allowed us to flash the PCM calibration again, but still wouldnt start.

we have triple checked all powers on the harness to no avail. the only thing we can think of is perhaps the PCM really does need those other modules on the CAN bus to even start. (instrument cluster, ABS, Climate Control, HVAC interface module, BEM) I was reading somewhere that in order to remove these modules from the data bus you need to use "Ford module programming" software with a J2534 pass through cable and then you can turn off PATS, ICC, HIM, ABS. im still not certain what the purpose of turning these off in the PCM is and if that is what I need to do to allow the engine to run with the harness fully standalone.
If anyone has done anything like this on a BA falcon and could shed some light I would greatly appreciate it.
VX L67 Getrag

Re: BA Falcon Stanalone harness

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

So with the bem back in & communicating will it crank & not fire or not even crank?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

starter solenoid is directly hooked up to a button now, not through the pcm. it cranks but wont fire. no injector pulse or spark.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

So if you leave it so crank signal is normal will it give you crank?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

good question .... im continuing my troubleshooting path and I may get there, I was just hoping someone who has done it before just knows :P
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Well I've found out a bit, best bet start with getting crank wired normally & that will tell you pats disable works for a start!
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah we assumed pats disable worked when it still started with the key reader removed, so thats why we assume its a wiring or problem communicating with CAN modules.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

i know of a guy who put a v8 ba falcon engine in his modified cobra mustang kit car thing he had it cranking but couldnt get it to fire same issue turned out that there is a roll over shut off module in it thats fitted from factory dont know if it was in the sixes but if you have removed all the modules maybe this one as well?
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

I belive the ecu still needs the can bus loop to complete its circuit all the modules are connected in series so if you connect can out to can in it may boot the ecu other wise have a chat with this guy http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-BA-BF-X ... 3cb11cc1eb it is expensive but he might give away a hint to where you are having problems. ;)
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

so it turns out... we had it all connected correctly the first time... its as simple as we thought it was, just need to power it up as per the wiring diagrams and turn both hptuners anti theft flags opposite to what they were from factory, all of which we did on day 1. the problem was, some dick head quietly unplugged the crank angle sensor while we were wiring it up to stuff us up!! anyway, its going now so happy days.