Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Ford MPC565 Tuning

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

headsex wrote:
VX L67 Getrag wrote:Sorry headsex, looks like I spoke out of school.. yeah that was the steps for that exact vbf... but the other couple I've seen for that model are slightly different size so I'm not 100% on the steps for those... but I look to make sure all the data lines up with same locations after done.

As I said I'm more concerned about getting the bin file in a usable format & then being able to flash it without having to open up case, but in any fact we are going off original topic... SO SORRY FOR ALL IT MAY HAVE CONFUSED
Sorry mate, didn't mean to come across as rude. Just wanted people reading this to understand it's only relevant to that exact vbf file you have.

Well I've had a bit more of a look at the Ford Ranger files & looks like the full file is made up of different VBF files, so if anyone needs any files modified send them my way & I can do it, even with BDM reads that can then be done by OBDII.
oldtinfords

Re: PCMTec Development Blog

Post by oldtinfords »

Hi Rolls, I've been following this with great anticipation and would be interested when it's done. How's it
progressing? I've been chatting with 2 people that appear to have bricked their FG PCM's using HPT. What's the chances of your software being able to recover these PCM's?
I've asked if they have any log files but neither can access the PCM's to get one.
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

oldtinfords wrote:Hi Rolls, I've been following this with great anticipation and would be interested when it's done. How's it
progressing? I've been chatting with 2 people that appear to have bricked their FG PCM's using HPT. What's the chances of your software being able to recover these PCM's?
I've asked if they have any log files but neither can access the PCM's to get one.
All progressing well in the background. Lots of things happening behind the scenes to get a full product ready, still a way off but I'm working on it full time now.

Do you know the history on the PCMs? Can they be flashed but they don't run? Licensing issue in that they just can't flash them? Or they fail to turn on completely and are literally dead?

Have they previously been tuned with a XCAL4 ?

I have a recovery mode when I flash that will recover erased or failed writes though HPT have this as well. All I can think is they were flashed with XCAL4 and the corrupted OSID has got them stuck in an unlicensable state with a tune that doesn't run (this happened to me).

If its the above then yes I can possibly recover them but need more information.
oldtinfords

Post by oldtinfords »

Thanks rolls,

The first one, ive been told
I've got a problem with a possible bricked ecu.
Vehicle is a 2009 Ford xr8 (Aus) and I was on my final file revision when it stopped writing half was through.. and now vehicle won't run and seems no on board systems are communicating. now when I try to flash in a known file it gives me failed, controller unlocker: timed out.
Customer is understandably wanting their car back and I'm out of ideas and local hp tuners outlet are saying they haven't seen an Ford ecu brick itself before. I've tried my hardware on other vehicles and all good.

I'll try to find out exactly what happened to the second car & let you know but I believe from what they've both indicated is there was a write failure using HPT & now they can't access the PCM.
rolls

Post by rolls »

It should be able to just flash again if it fails halfway through. I'm sure that HPT do have the recovery mode implemented so if theirs doesn't work then I doubt mine will either.

The PCMs are basically unbrickable from my testing, eg if you try flashing an FG onto a BF etc it will just auto erase itself on bootup and accept a fresh flash. I tried writing garbage, pulling the power mid flash and could not brick one even trying.

Has anyone here had a flash fail halfway through with HPT and managed to recover it after? I can't remember if I ever tried a test with HPT doing that. I'm setting my bench harness up again next week so can test it for you, but I don't have a quick solution for you right now.

Where are you located? There are a few guys on here from VIC and Perth that might be able to help you, I'm in SA.

Worst case you could replace the PCM however you will need to get the PATS system reset, once again a few people on here who can do that for you though they will need access to the whole car.
oldtinfords

Post by oldtinfords »

I'm in Central West NSW, The FG described earlier is a tuner in Tasmania & the other is a car enthusiast in Townsville both using HPT.
I've got HPT and a bench loom I made up and have only had experience flashing BA & BF. The only issues I've had so far myself have been early BA where they show the VIN as being "y" and not wanting to read. HPT don't want to know about these BA PCM's.
If you have any luck testing let me know. If the owners of the PCM's have no luck recovering them I'll see if they want to donate them to you for testing purposes
rolls

Post by rolls »

The no vin ba PCMs are absolutely flash able. HP tuners afaik don't flash them as they use the vin for licensing. It is understandable that they wouldn't adjust their licensing for a single model of car which would probably make peanuts in the scheme of things.

We will be able to flash these when we release as we use a different mechanism for licensing that will hopefully be more flexible. I have one on my desk that I've flashed with my proof of concept software no problem.

Anyway if these guys are stuck tell them to post up here and we can possibly find someone who can help them.
oldtinfords

Post by oldtinfords »

I've given them the link. Hopefully someone can help & their PCM's are recoverable
80gus

Post by 80gus »

oldtinfords wrote:I've given them the link. Hopefully someone can help & their PCM's are recoverable
The latest version of hp should pick the vin up up if not the earlier version would allow you to manually type it in, if your stuck I can add a vin for you. The latest version of hp t locks to the particular unit by matching the OS and the vin.