PCMTec Development Blog

Ford information and tools can be found here
luke111
cars: ford xh barra 4.0

Re: Ford MPC565 Tuning

Post by luke111 »

I've just fitted cruise control to my BA ecu (in XH Ute) but its only kinda working.
It works once (all buttons on/off,set+,set-,resume work) but then after I use the brake it won't work again until I turn the ignition off then restart.
I've been working with Forscan and ELM327. I'm not getting a response from the BOO pid but I am getting a ON/OFF from the main brake switch under SCCS so I know the ecu is getting the signal. The BPA pid is on/off like its supposed too from second brake switch.
I think the cruise is not enabled. or maybe its cause I don't have a 3rd brake light? (but I doubt it)
Whats the easiest way for me to enable the speed control in the VID block?
Is it simple enough just to change one single byte from 00 to 01 with a hex editor and then flash with the open port?

I would also like to change the diff ratio setting and tyre diameter in VID block too because the ecu speedo reading is incorrect since Ive swapped to 3.45.
The cruise seems jerky and the TPS goes up/down quite a bit which isnt right.

I've downloaded IDS last night and copied/pasted dll files and it shows the openport in the J2534 config app.
Just need to try it on the car. I'm happy to give the $21 72hr subscription just to get the cruise sorted, but I'm worried that I could lose my pats disabled setting. Taking it to Ford to get this done isn't an option for me.

I guess I'll try it on my spare ecu first. I could change one setting at a time and then maybe I could compare the two bin files in Hex Workshop before and after to see what the address location is.

Also seriously thinking about getting a BF ecu and upgrading. Seems like the support will be better and they are like $40 from the wreckers here so I'm crazy not to.
Does anyone happen to know the ECU pinout differences (especially the 3rd C connector). What needs to be changed to fit in a BA?
I've got the BA factory manuals but not BF.
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

luke111 wrote:I've just fitted cruise control to my BA ecu (in XH Ute) but its only kinda working.
It works once (all buttons on/off,set+,set-,resume work) but then after I use the brake it won't work again until I turn the ignition off then restart.
I've been working with Forscan and ELM327. I'm not getting a response from the BOO pid but I am getting a ON/OFF from the main brake switch under SCCS so I know the ecu is getting the signal. The BPA pid is on/off like its supposed too from second brake switch.
I think the cruise is not enabled. or maybe its cause I don't have a 3rd brake light? (but I doubt it)
Is it simple enough just to change one single byte from 00 to 01 with a hex editor and then flash with the open port?

I would also like to change the diff ratio setting and tyre diameter in VID block too because the ecu speedo reading is incorrect since Ive swapped to 3.45.

I've downloaded IDS last night and copied/pasted dll files and it shows the openport in the J2534 config app.
Just need to try it on the car. I'm happy to give the $21 72hr subscription just to get the cruise sorted, but I'm worried that I could lose my pats disabled setting. Taking it to Ford to get this done isn't an option for me.

I guess I'll try it on my spare ecu first. I could change one setting at a time and then maybe I could compare the two bin files in Hex Workshop before and after to see what the address location is.

Also seriously thinking about getting a BF ecu and upgrading. Seems like the support will be better and they are like $40 from the wreckers here so I'm crazy not to.
Does anyone happen to know the ECU pinout differences (especially the 3rd C connector). What needs to be changed to fit in a BA?
Sorry I can't help you much on this. I haven't ever changed much in the VID block before, just ratios and nothing else. I'm not sure where speed control is or how it works. Would be very interesting for you to find out for us though. If you load up some PHF files in a binary editor you can compare the VID block (look around the 0x10046 area) between multiple cars to see.

You can download the PHF files from here if you know the strategy code. Discussion on how the PHF format works a few pages back, or you can use my tool to convert them to binary.
https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconne ... roduct=IDS
luke111

Post by luke111 »

I've managed to find the axle ratio at 100DC. 3.23 which is 0C EC (HEX) or 3308. divide by /1024 gives the ratio (for those that didn't know :))
I'll try changing to 0D CD (which equals 3.45)
I will try reflash with just that changed and see what happens.

Looking at VCM Editor on my hpt file, I think I need to change GENERAL, VEHICLE, Brake Input to Enabled.
HPT calls this [ECM 50386]
Any idea what the 50386 means, or how do they figure out that number?
This might help me pinpoint the byte I want to change.
Last edited by luke111 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rolls

Post by rolls »

luke111 wrote:I've managed to find the axle ratio at 100DC. 3.23 which is 0C EC (HEX) or 3308. divide by /4 gives the ratio (for those that didn't know :))
I'll try changing to 0D CD (which equals 3.45)
I will try reflash with just that changed and see what happens.

Looking at VCM Editor on my hpt file, I think I need to change GENERAL, VEHICLE, Brake Input to Enabled.
HPT calls this [ECM 50386]
Any idea what the 50386 means, or how do they figure out that number?
This might help me pinpoint the byte I want to change.
Their number is purely an internal HPT number, it has no reference to anything else. Best way to find out is to do some comparing between different tunes and see what changes in the binary.

Just beware that it will throw a DTC if you change this without updating the checksum.
rmrmd1956
cars: '07 Custom supercharged Aston Martin

Post by rmrmd1956 »

rolls wrote:
luke111 wrote:I've just fitted cruise control to my BA ecu (in XH Ute) but its only kinda working.

Sorry I can't help you much on this. I haven't ever changed much in the VID block before, just ratios and nothing else. I'm not sure where speed control is or how it works. Would be very interesting for you to find out for us though. If you load up some PHF files in a binary editor you can compare the VID block (look around the 0x10046 area) between multiple cars to see.

You can download the PHF files from here if you know the strategy code. Discussion on how the PHF format works a few pages back, or you can use my tool to convert them to binary.
https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconne ... roduct=IDS

This is what I believe is in the VID block:
vid.jpg
vid.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 5282 times
luke111

Post by luke111 »

rmrmd1956 wrote:This is what I believe is in the VID block:
vid.jpg
Thanks for the reply.
How did you determine the octane adj?
My ecu bin has that set but every other bin file i've looked at doesn't?
Ive tried changing the bits you said for 0x000100DE ;100DF. Most I've looked at have FF 00 for that.
I tried FF 01 and FF FE like your example and neither enabled cruise.
I'm wondering what 0x000100D9 is for? I noticed it is different amongst bin files. I've seen 6F on BA's, C8 on my BF ecu?

I did notice the checksum error DTC after I was fiddling with the VID block with hex workshop.
Next I need to figure out how to manually calculate the new checksum.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Obviously this is going to depend on whether your looking at actually binary files or the ford PHF files, but assuming everybody knows this.
rolls

Post by rolls »

Someone is kindly removing a ZF TCM and sending it to us. Decided getting ZF reflashing/editing done was a higher priority than scanner/datalogging so we will be getting this done first.
luke111

Post by luke111 »

Can you use the alpha PCMTEC software with a HPTuners MVPI interface?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Someone is kindly removing a ZF TCM and sending it to us. Decided getting ZF reflashing/editing done was a higher priority than scanner/datalogging so we will be getting this done first.
Including VIN changing? :D
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...