PCMTec Development Blog

Ford information and tools can be found here
MeZmeriZe
cars: 05 XR6T BA with Liquid LPG injection
76 XC Sundowner
91 Surf turbo diesel

Re: Ford MPC565 Tuning

Post by MeZmeriZe »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:What does the mongoose set when you request 15v it should work with both situations so long as within 15 to 18v range?

But yeah leaving it out by default may be safest.
I dunno, but it was my Mongoose cable so I'll try it in the morning.
Works well enough in binaryeditor and I was able to read with it now too.. I fired up the drewtech J2534 tool and used it to set the pin13 voltage to 18000mv and then read back the voltage as 24.x too.. same as my multimetre.. not a big deal really but interesting to note.. but Rolls code can't read back the voltage like the drewtech tool which is odd.

I've thus far had no luck at all trying to get the VCX to trigger a FEPS voltage, just wrote to their tech guys to ask them for details.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

MeZmeriZe wrote: I've thus far had no luck at all trying to get the VCX to trigger a FEPS voltage, just wrote to their tech guys to ask them for details.
Is that a clone VCX Nano?
Probably not implemented, or dont have it connected up to pin13 of the DLC? Be interesting to monitor other pins and see if its hooked up to something else maybe?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

VCI Mini SetProgrammingVoltage and the IOCTRL read voltage just echo whatever you send to it to fool software into thinking it passes the J2534-3 tests however it has no A/D or DC-DC converter and the pin just sits at 0v all the time.

Only the VCM2 clones afaik will implement the voltage read/write as Ford/IDS are the only cars that require voltage on a pin.
MeZmeriZe
cars: 05 XR6T BA with Liquid LPG injection
76 XC Sundowner
91 Surf turbo diesel

Post by MeZmeriZe »

Ok, I tried the mongoose with the Drewtech J2534 toolbox again.. Interesting thing, if you try to set it to any low voltage like say 5v.. a message pops up down the status bar of the tool saying "must be set to 18000mv" Although you can set it to anything over 16199 and it will engage FEPS, (must be a hard coded number.. 16199 fails with the message, 16200 starts FEPS) but the volage always jumps to 24.x v.. so the early mongoose is basically either on or off, there is no middle ground.

As for the VCX, it's one of these: http://www.allscanner.com/?page_id=9206&lang=en and I bought it because I read this:
ISO9141(K-Line)
ISO14230-2(K-Line)
ISO15765(CAN)
SAE-J1850 PWM(Ford SCP)
SAE-J1850 VPW(GM Class2)
Single Wire CAN(GMLAN)
*Support 4 CAN, 3 High Speed CAN and Single Wire CAN.
*Programming voltage: 5V~20V FEPs output.
Be kinda annoyed if it's a lie. Not the end of the world though, I initially bought it because its got wireless and microUSB and its much more conveniently shaped than a VCM2 (which I also have) I repair Falcon and Territory ignitions and steering columns so I do an unholy number of PATS resets so being able to just plug it in and wireless connect is handy.. Of course then along comes Forscan and makes PATS resets possible using a 4 dollar bluetooth adapter so now I use that and a laptop. I suppose when I get time I'll knock up an Android app to do PATS resets then I won't even need the laptop anymore.

I also purchased a low current 18 volt (selectable) step up.. This little fella:

Figured I can pop it on the side of the VCX if it really doesn't connect to pin13 and either trigger it manually or find a way to hook it up so it triggers properly. If the VCX has the code for FEPS and is just missing the step up that might actually be possible. I also got a little phone 4000mah battery charger thing. (actually HP gave it out at a tech conference) and I figured I'd wire that up to the unit as well. If it has it's own power supply independent of pin 16 on the OBD plug I might even consider flashing a PCM over Wireless N. I wouldn't risk it if a voltage drop could kill the connection and thereby the write, but if it stays powered anyway it should be safe, especially if the two wireless devices are right near each other.

If I don't hear back from the allscanner folks, I'll pull the covers off the VCX and put a multi-metre onto pin 13 and see if I can trace it's path though the circuit board. see where it goes if anywhere.
rolls

Post by rolls »

Great research!

At this stage I'm tending towards the VCX not doing as advertised.

Mongoose and OpenPort are the cables to use by the sounds of it. I don't think there is anything cheaper than an OpenPort for the functionality it provides either and I'm all about making this as cheap as possible.
rolls

Post by rolls »

I got bored at work so I'm trying to understand DMR logging.

Does DMR logging typically utilise 0x23 ReadMemoryByAddress? I get the feeling this is to read ROM only and not RAM.

At a guess without doing any logging and sniffing these two UDS commands may be the ones used for DMR logging.
READ_DATA_BY_LOCAL_IDENTIFIER = 0x21,
READ_DATA_BY_INDENTIFIER = 0x22,

Anyone logged DMRs from any vehicles at all? Any help would be appreciated before I can do a decent sniff and see what is going on.
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

I made up a tunerpro adx that gets sae and dma pids for gm e38 pcm to suit my new can cable a few nights ago . The direct memory access pids are obtained with mode 23 , 32 bit address and 16 bit length request on e38. The adx I made was getting pids at a rate of 160 hz using mix of dma and sae pids. Holy shit that's fast
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Nice AVATAR rolls, is that vanilla ice rolling in his 5.0?
rolls

Post by rolls »

vn5000 wrote:I made up a tunerpro adx that gets sae and dma pids for gm e38 pcm to suit my new can cable a few nights ago . The direct memory access pids are obtained with mode 23 , 32 bit address and 16 bit length request on e38. The adx I made was getting pids at a rate of 160 hz using mix of dma and sae pids. Holy shit that's fast
I'll have to do some sniffing and see if it is the same on the fords.
VX L67 Getrag wrote:Nice AVATAR rolls, is that vanilla ice rolling in his 5.0?
lol yeah
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

rolls wrote:I got bored at work so I'm trying to understand DMR logging.

Does DMR logging typically utilise 0x23 ReadMemoryByAddress? I get the feeling this is to read ROM only and not RAM.

At a guess without doing any logging and sniffing these two UDS commands may be the ones used for DMR logging.
READ_DATA_BY_LOCAL_IDENTIFIER = 0x21,
READ_DATA_BY_INDENTIFIER = 0x22,

Anyone logged DMRs from any vehicles at all? Any help would be appreciated before I can do a decent sniff and see what is going on.
Ahh.. mode 22, Iv played that previously actually (If Im thinking of the right mode!). So you can request individual manufacturer PID's from the vehicle (must be supported PID's).

Also mode 2C, where you can setup multiple PIDs to display in a single frame from the ECU. SO load up vehicle speed, RPM, left an right O2 sensor.. and they all get sent in one CAN frame. Obviously take more setting up to do that but maximizes the PID/s that you can record.

I assume Fords support both types? I know these a couple Holdens that dont support that mode 22.
Last edited by Tazzi on Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726