Ford Territory Stalling

Ford information and tools can be found here
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

Ford Territory Stalling

Post by L67PSI »

Hi All,

I'm trying to track down a fault in the Mrs Ford Territory. It's an '05 4.0L petrol with injected LPG.
We've only had the vehicle 6-7 months. What is happening is. In the morning after a short warm up period, we'd go around the corner or try to cross an intersection and it randomly stalls or almost stalls. This happens both on petrol and LPG.

Also when it's fully warmed up and doing 100km on the freeway and cruise control active it will randomly start bucking or stall.

When it's about to stall I give it some throttle and nothing happens. Often I'd put it into neutral if I have time and give it some throttle, then it recovers. Back into drive and it picks up like nothing was wrong.

I've fitted the following serviceable parts, as unknown when they were last replaced.

New Coils x6
New NGK plugs gapped to 0.8mm
New o2 Sensor
Second hand throttle body, as TPS sensors often failed in BA series.
Had the LPG serviced last year, with new filter and lock off solenoid.
Oil and filter both new.

I'm still getting code P1131. DTC P1131 indicates the system is correcting RICH for an overly LEAN condition. The Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) voltage is less than 0.45 volts. This is usually due to a vacuum leak after the MAF. It can also be caused by a bad PCV valve or PCV system hose. It can also be caused by low fuel pressure or a plugged injector.

A vacuum leak would give bad idle and run rough & I couldn't see any loose or split hoses. Fuel pressure maybe, but happens on both fuels. It has me scratching my head.

Any suggestions? Or anyone come across this problem before?

Thanks
Gareth

Re: Ford Territory Stalling

Post by Gareth »

Has it still got the plastic pcv valve fitted and if so has the end exploded off it?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

Biggvl wrote:Has it still got the plastic pcv valve fitted and if so has the end exploded off it?
Yes, it's a plactic PCV, took it off and looks to be in good shape.
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

check that the gas unit is not freezing due to low water flow through it, faulty heater tap /blocked heater core
peter351

Post by peter351 »

Do you have a scantool ? Do you have a High Speed Air/Fuel ratio meter handy ?
what is the map sensor reading on Idle ? and cruise ? ( map sensor hasn't been damaged by LPgas backfire? ) hook up a vacuum gauge. Good condition engine at idle will pull a stable 22inHg of manifold vacumm.
Intake manifold gasket(s) ?
Injector o-ring seals around the base mated to the intake manifold ?
Exhaust leak up stream of the oxygen sensor(s)? Get someone to block of the back of the tailpipe(s) and listen for exhaust leaks!
100% no Cylinder misfires ? ( it's doing it on both fuels you say! )

Do Ford Territory 2005 have a water heater valve (tap) ? BA's and BF's don't!
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

peter351 wrote:Do you have a scantool ? Do you have a High Speed Air/Fuel ratio meter handy ?
what is the map sensor reading on Idle ? and cruise ? ( map sensor hasn't been damaged by LPgas backfire? ) hook up a vacuum gauge. Good condition engine at idle will pull a stable 22inHg of manifold vacumm.
Intake manifold gasket(s) ?
Injector o-ring seals around the base mated to the intake manifold ?
Exhaust leak up stream of the oxygen sensor(s)? Get someone to block of the back of the tailpipe(s) and listen for exhaust leaks!
100% no Cylinder misfires ? ( it's doing it on both fuels you say! )

Do Ford Territory 2005 have a water heater valve (tap) ? BA's and BF's don't!
Found the problem, split intake manifold gasket. Thanks Peter351