Ford smartlock

Ford information and tools can be found here
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Re: Ford smartlock

Post by oldn64 »

pman92 wrote:Ive set the pcm up on the bench ready to try a smartlock signal with an arduino when I get a chance.

Interesting thing I found, if theres a PIP signal present when you switch the ignition on (EG roll starting the car and switching ignition on as your rolling) you will have ignition and injector pulse.
If you switch the ignition on with the distributor still, and then start turning the distributor, no injector pulse or spark.

It seems the PCM doesn't even look for a smartlock signal once the engine is turning
Surely it looks for speedo drive pulse as well, otherwise you could do the old coin between the solenoid and the positive at the starter and the starter would turn and potentially start the car if ignition happening... Just does not seem very smart. Surely the key comms have to be there as well...

Cheers
oldn64
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

That's possible, I haven't got a speedo signal connected.
Or maybe there's an RPM threshold thats above cranking speed where the pcm assumes engine already running and no longer checks for smartlock.
I'm not sure yet what RPM speed I am turning the distributor at but can find out.

All I know at this stage is:
turn the distributor and switch ignition on = fuel and spark. Even if the distributor comes to a stop and starts again I still have pulse as long as I dont switch ignition off.
Turn the ignition on and then start turning the distributor = nothing.

I did try holding the smartlock signal to 12v and earth inacse it was a bias voltage on the pin, but no different
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

pman92 wrote:That's possible, I haven't got a speedo signal connected.
Or maybe there's an RPM threshold thats above cranking speed where the pcm assumes engine already running and no longer checks for smartlock.
I'm not sure yet what RPM speed I am turning the distributor at but can find out.

All I know at this stage is:
turn the distributor and switch ignition on = fuel and spark. Even if the distributor comes to a stop and starts again I still have pulse as long as I dont switch ignition off.
Turn the ignition on and then start turning the distributor = nothing.

I did try holding the smartlock signal to 12v and earth inacse it was a bias voltage on the pin, but no different
Hmmm, that is very interesting, does that mean that if you were to get a dizzy, plug in turn it with ignition on, unplug and place on the original in car the car will then start? then almost seems like the old XB oil dipstick start car technique. Just so simple and stupid at the same time.. hehe

Cheers
oldn64

PS: be very interesting as to what the rpm you are turning the dizzy at is.
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Just confirmed that theory!
If the distributor is only turned slow when turning ignition on, it will fire a couple of times then nothing.
If the distributor is cranked fast enough when turning ignition on, it doesn't even check for a smartlock signal.

There must be some sort of RPM threshold to disable smartlock.

I'll find out what RPM tomorrow, and try an arduino making the same signal as the ebay module.
MrModule.com.au
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Good luck pman92 :thumbup:

keep us up to date.

cheers
oldn64
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Ok so arduino is connected and the first few trys have been a fail.
Checked the codes and sure enough 'Vehicle immobilized due to smartlock' was set along with everything else.

I'll recheck everything is connected properly and make sure I'm sending the same signal as the ebay module with a scope on my lunch break.

The other thing I'm thinking may be a possibility is the delay before the arduino boots up due to the bootloader. The ebay module started signaling within 20mS of ignition on. The arduino doesn't start until 80-100mS. I might program an atmega328 on a breadboard without bootloader to see if its any quicker.
MrModule.com.au
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Success!

The problem was just a fault with my wiring on the bench. A quick double check quickly identified the problem (Smartlock signal wasn't connected)

With a 12v pullup resistor on the smartlock data line, and the arduino now driving a 2n2222 to pull the data low for dominant bits, everything works. Can switch the ignition on, then start turning the distributor and spark and injector pulse is there. No more smartlock DTC.

Ive now confirmed this same 4 byte code works on an XH panelvan, and an EL sedan.
The instructions with the ebay module state it will work on all EB, ED, EL, EF, XG, XH - 6cyl or V8. And from what ive read possibly early (series 1) AU.
MrModule.com.au
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

just to muddy the waters a little I have done 2 swaps on different AU's & managed to do a straight swap with same pcm catch code & they ran without having to change key's, bcm's or anything else!
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:just to muddy the waters a little I have done 2 swaps on different AU's & managed to do a straight swap with same pcm catch code & they ran without having to change key's, bcm's or anything else!
That would make sense if they were early AU's.
From what I've read online they started using smartsheild (the system used on BA/BF etc) somewhere along the AU production

Also you can identify a smartsheild AU by the smartsheild sticker on the rear door/ rear quarter window
MrModule.com.au
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

This might be of interest Pman
38A1F61C-0BD9-4F85-825C-9017CCE4E614.jpeg
99403DBD-6C9A-49D3-972B-BF0F15C8A81D.jpeg
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...