VBF to bin convert?

Ford information and tools can be found here
PSM 64

VBF to bin convert?

Post by PSM 64 »

Does anyone know how to convert VBF to bin?
VX L67 Getrag

Re: VBF to bin convert?

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

it all depends on what type it is, there's some models I can do manually, if you want to attach a test file I'll see what I can do!
avto

Post by avto »

__________-
Last edited by avto on Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Just replied about it in other thread, but what it converts it to doesn't make a useable binary file as any program knows for our Au turbo diesel files!
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Just replied about it in other thread, but what it converts it to doesn't make a useable binary file as any program knows for our Au turbo diesel files!
What you are asking for doesn't really make sense. A VBF is a collection of binary segments, often these segments are for addresses as high as 0x80000000 which if you wrote to a binary file would produce a file about 10 gigabytes in size with mostly 0s.

Depending on what the final program expects, it may simply want a flattened array, eg all the segments stacked after each other, this would be useless for decompiling however as all the offsets would be wrong.

So to produce a bin file from a VBF you need to answer two questions, what is the VBF file layout (eg what segments are in it) and what does the program that expects a bin file expect, a file with real offsets? or a flattened file? Or something else entirely?
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Sorry, I've only played with a few in particular to suit the Ranger/BT50 & the other is for the Territory & the program I use to flash(PCMflash) can write using VBF & then convert to bin if needed.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Sorry, I've only played with a few in particular to suit the Ranger/BT50 & the other is for the Territory & the program I use to flash(PCMflash) can write using VBF & then convert to bin if needed.
Which module are you using from PCMFlash for the Territory ?
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

The territories are module 43 & the ranger/bt50 are module 7!
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:The territories are module 43 & the ranger/bt50 are module 7!
Thanks, is it definitely Module 43? The listing I saw had it as the Bosch Land Rover ECU Land Rover EDC17СP42/MED17. My bench ECU is a Siemens SID2xx
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

YEP... although it's under JLR it's the same setup as our territory as I helped get the info for him to support it!
Attachments
Ford & Mazda Siemens with PCMflash.png
Ford & Mazda Siemens with PCMflash.png (33.22 KiB) Viewed 7995 times