Cam signal alterations - define trigger wheel

Ford information and tools can be found here
Curious

Cam signal alterations - define trigger wheel

Post by Curious »

I asked over on HPtuner forums and got told you fellas might have the answers.

Is there any way to modify what cam signal a BA Falcon PCM is looking for?
reducing from an inlet and exhaust signal to a single signal and from a 3 + 1 trigger signal to a 1 trigger signal?

I'm attempting to run a single overhead cam engine with a BA PCM.
I have a MPVI2 with VCM Edit but i suspect it's not equipped to do what i want.

Any help is appreciated and i'm willing to R 'n' D with directions :director:
Thanks guys :D

I was thinking of adding a second cam sensor to the timing cover and having a new timing gear made with the correct number of teeth to simulate the DOHC timing.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Cam signal alterations - define trigger wheel

Post by antus »

I wont say it cant be done but as a rule of thumb the oem pcms dont have a lot of trigger options as they only had to support the platform they came out with. Fabricating a trigger that sends the pcm what it wants might be the simplest option but if there is a setting in the ford software someone here will know.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Curious

Post by Curious »

Cheers Antus.

I figured as much :(

Fusion360 it is then.
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

The PCM uses a separate module to measure the pulses. It also uses the camshaft position feedback as well as a backup. You will not be able to do this easily.

You can calibrate the gap/blanking ratio of the teeth however if you buy PCMTEC. Not sure if this will help you.

ID Name Value Units Description
auF12636 GAP RATIO 1.5 GAP RATIO

ID Name Value Units Description
auF10562 BLANKING RATIO 0.15 BLANKING RATIO

What is the reason for trying to run a different engine with the BA PCM? You will have a horrible time trying to recalculate the speed density airflow model for a different engine. I honestly would just buy an aftermarket PCM like a Haltech if I were you.
Curious

Post by Curious »

Hey Rolls.

I'm attempting to run a SOHC 4L (Ford) engine with the BA PCM.
I have an E series falcon that i've fitted the complete BA interior (Dash, Cluster, Electrics, Body and Engine bay harness).

I'm trying to run the SOHC as i have a built engine (race cam, valve springs, rods, ported) that i would like to get some use out of seeing how its been sitting in the shed for almost 3 years now.
I don't want to go DOHC in the E series because that requires removing the k-frame and installing the cross member combined with the reason above but i DO want sequential injection and ignition.

I'm not sure what you mean about the PCM using a separate module for CAS, the Black Oak (BA) PCM reads and controls Cam and Crank signals does it not?

My approach was to essentially spoof the intake/exhaust cam signals using the trigger wheel of the SOHC engine and two cam angle sensors in the timing cover.
I would disable VCT in the PCM and tune ignition accordingly to the race cam, i figured if the PCM is receiving a signal for both intake and exhaust (even though this would be from a single cam) it would be happy.

I have a HPTuner MVPI 2 for tuning and PCM modification and have just finishing putting a Ford Barra engine into a Land Cruiser with the help of VCM Editor.
I am aware of PCMTEC and that in some cases they offer more granular control over Ford specific parameters.

I am confident in my ability to get this working IF it can actually work and please don't get me wrong, i'm not looking for others to do the work for me - i am more than happy to put the hard work into my own projects.
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

Curious wrote: I am aware of PCMTEC and that in some cases they offer more granular control over Ford specific parameters.
It isn't just some cases, it is all Falcons. It is also ~1000 parameters vs 6000 parameters. HPTuners is highly limited and does not map all the speed density tables, you will really struggle to run a different engine without access to these tables.

When I say separate module I mean there is a separate chip within the PCM casing. Because of this you can't remap much to do with it.
Curious

Post by Curious »

rolls wrote: It is also ~1000 parameters vs 6000 parameters.
Ahhh very good.