stock bins of Excursion 2000-2003 or later (6.8L V10 or dies

Ford information and tools can be found here
eightfold_sg
cars: ford excursion v10/diesel

stock bins of Excursion 2000-2003 or later (6.8L V10 or dies

Post by eightfold_sg »

I'm looking into doing an electronics project that allows me to build something (OBD scanner) while also Reverse Engineer bin files so to access the lookup tables and then parameters so I can do a live analysis of data when plugged in (or at least having a bin file).

I'm looking into RE-ing bins of Ford excursion (6.8L and diesel, 2000-2003 mainly, but would love any other years).. I assume they would use the intel 8065 microprocessor and MTC-422 ECU hardware for 6.8L.

I'm also assuming that the F-series super duty F250 and F350 of those years share the same ECUs.

If you happen to have these bin files on hand I would love to RE them or even help maintain the driveability of your car!

Thanks!
VX L67 Getrag

Re: stock bins of Excursion 2000-2003 or later (6.8L V10 or

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

With the F250 & F350 I looked into them a while ago as they use the same EEC-V controller in our Ford Falcon's here & if you do a search of powerstroke on this forum you'll find some info, I do have more info but not heaps & couldn't put it al together as nicely as I liked but they're a different sized v8 turbo diesel than what you mentioned.
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Re: stock bins of Excursion 2000-2003 or later (6.8L V10 or

Post by rolls »

Best way to get the bin files is to use factory flashing tools and sniff the comms/web traffic when it downloads them. You'll quickly find that you can download the VBF files from the motorcraft site when doing this.

The VBFs are compressed using a proprietary compression alg for the 2018+ stuff in a lot of cars. Have fun figuring that out.

The earlier stuff is not compressed, but you'll still need to RE the VBF format, then you have about 2 million lines of C code written by 100s of engineers over 30+ years compiled into asm code. Once again have fun reverse engineering that! It is a HUGE job.

Oh and they often have 100s of operating systems per vehicle per year. So if you spend 3 years reverse engineering 1 file, you'll be about 0.1% of the way there!

Happy hunting!