PCM Hammer Suite development

They go by many names, P01, P10, P12, P59, E38, VPW, '0411 etc.
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by antus »

pc to tool could be serial or usb, at any speed. and vpw time depends on the data itself (which you dont know on a receive until after you have it) and bus activity, so I dont think you can accurately time it at all. You just need an approximation of worst case that works for everyone based on real world feedback. And rightly or wrongly, I think that is what we have. But we could describe the why better instead of documenting a process that is not correct in code.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
Gampy
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by Gampy »

Not questioning why it's done, or what it does, that's easy to read in code, just why that number was chosen ... It's not 8N1 Serial as the comment states, so it is misleading, not to mention how bad it looks.

It is what it is, if it's an elephant call it an elephant, not a mouse!

So the number came out of testing ... That is all I wanted to know, or need to know.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10016
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by antus »

Well its not my code but I know it seems to work OK and I can explain the real factors in timing. :)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

I'm guessing it was me who put the 9 there because I thought 8N1 was 9 bits per byte. :)

Changing the 9 to 10 would probably not do any harm. Timeouts would get slightly longer of course.

I don't think users encounter many timeouts in practice, but I'm not certain of that. I guess that's something to investigate.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

It turns out that if you add more <Conversion> elements to a parameter in the logger's parameter XML files, you run into some bugs.

Code changes are here:
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/ ... gger-fixes

An unofficial release with those fixes is attached.

(And the Release.ps1 script doesn't handle labels like "016.1" but that's something I just now discovered and will work on later... EDIT: it's fine if I just use a hyphen instead of a dot. I will keep that in mind for next time.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

This release fixes a bug in the "math" parameters in the logger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

This fixes a problem with signed values in the logger.

Kudos to turbotech for finding this and figuring out what was wrong: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7202

This was build from the "nsfw/signed-values" branch, which has not yet been merged to the develop branch. But I'll merge it if testing goes well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

This fixes some issues that came up as a side effect of the previous change.

EDIT: The logger still has issues with large unsigned values. I'll work on that next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

This fixes a bug related to creating new log profiles - sometimes it would overwrite the existing one!

It also adds a bunch of log parameters, based on the list in this post:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... #post77393
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
User avatar
NSFW
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

I added a bunch of "flag" parmeters (on/off, enable/disable, etc) in the last zip file, and they didn't work.
Now they should work. At least, they seem to work on my test setup, but my car is on jack stands so I could use a hand with real testing. :)

Removed - see next post.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!