GM V6 OBD2 PCM

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
ejs262
cars: 2006 2500 HD. 6.0 4L80

1986 Suburban LB7 duramax swap in progress

1988 Suburban L21 454 swap in progress

2003 Grand Am, 3400, F23 swap, stock P04 PCM

1985 Pontiac Fiero SE LX9 F23 Swap, MS3 Pro

Re: GM V6 OBD2 PCM

Post by ejs262 »

In-Tech wrote:Maybe this will help, I don't know the addresses without a shit ton of work but maybe this will help you identify stuff. This is from TunerCat software.

I don't have this 2003 car anymore but it might help with your 2003 3400
2003_3100_GrandPrix.txt
'02Grand Prix GTP L67 os12223462.txt
Gran Damn 12583339.txt

I actually have TC OBDII as well, I should be able to address everything with the VDF editor, and my end goal plan was to work towards integrating anything I find into the VDF for my car. so that I could try and play with a few things GM hid in there for other cars. one of the big ticket things I would like to try and figure out is the cruise inhibit control from the PCM. it's preventing the cruise module from working with the 5 speed swap, or at least I think that's whats keeping it from working.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Just curious, but is the Tunercat (or TinyTuner) app able the edit the P08 PCM from the 4-cylinder cars such as the 2.4l TwinCam?
I ask since these were available with the 5-speed. You MIGHT be able to determine if the code from that can be found (and used) in the P04.

Just a thought.

Mike
zack4200
cars: 1982 Chevy Chevette 3400 LA1 swapped
1986 Chevy Chevette
1998 Chevy s10

Post by zack4200 »

ejs262 wrote:one of the big ticket things I would like to try and figure out is the cruise inhibit control from the PCM. it's preventing the cruise module from working with the 5 speed swap, or at least I think that's whats keeping it from working.
The PCM just grounds the cruise inhibit terminal (H) when cruise is allowed and opens the circuit when cruise should be disabled, so if all you want to do is get cruise back you can ground the Inhibit terminal so it's not being controlled by the PCM.

Code: Select all

The cruise control module receives a vehicle speed signal input from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). In operation, the voltage varies between 0 V and 5 V.

The cruise control module, cruise engaged terminal, sends a signal to the PCM when cruise is engaged. The cruise control module, cruise inhibit signal terminal, is a circuit used by the PCM to inhibit cruise control when conditions inconsistent with cruise operation are present.

After the cruise control engage criteria has been met and the cruise ON and Set/Coast have been commanded, the cruise control module sends a signal to the PCM that the cruise control is engaged.

The PCM will inhibit cruise control:

When vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph). 
When in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear. 
With low engine RPM 
With high engine RPM, e.g. fuel cut-off 
When vehicle speed is to high 
When an over or under charged battery voltage condition exists 
Antilock brake system/traction control system is active for more than 2 seconds 
If the PCM determines that any of the cruise control inhibit conditions are present, the PCM will disengage the cruise control. The PCM accomplishes this by opening the cruise control inhibit signal circuit.
Attachments
2003 Grand Am CCM.gif
ejs262

Post by ejs262 »

MudDuck514 wrote:Hi all,

Just curious, but is the Tunercat (or TinyTuner) app able the edit the P08 PCM from the 4-cylinder cars such as the 2.4l TwinCam?
I ask since these were available with the 5-speed. You MIGHT be able to determine if the code from that can be found (and used) in the P04.

Just a thought.

Mike

I believe tunercat has the ability to tune the P08 as well, but I haven't investigated anything with it. FWIW, the P04 was used with a 5 speed manual transmission in the 3.8 F body, which is what I based most of the hardware and tune changes for my 5 speed N body swap on.
zack4200 wrote:
ejs262 wrote:one of the big ticket things I would like to try and figure out is the cruise inhibit control from the PCM. it's preventing the cruise module from working with the 5 speed swap, or at least I think that's whats keeping it from working.
The PCM just grounds the cruise inhibit terminal (H) when cruise is allowed and opens the circuit when cruise should be disabled, so if all you want to do is get cruise back you can ground the Inhibit terminal so it's not being controlled by the PCM.

Code: Select all

The cruise control module receives a vehicle speed signal input from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). In operation, the voltage varies between 0 V and 5 V.

The cruise control module, cruise engaged terminal, sends a signal to the PCM when cruise is engaged. The cruise control module, cruise inhibit signal terminal, is a circuit used by the PCM to inhibit cruise control when conditions inconsistent with cruise operation are present.

After the cruise control engage criteria has been met and the cruise ON and Set/Coast have been commanded, the cruise control module sends a signal to the PCM that the cruise control is engaged.

The PCM will inhibit cruise control:

When vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph). 
When in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear. 
With low engine RPM 
With high engine RPM, e.g. fuel cut-off 
When vehicle speed is to high 
When an over or under charged battery voltage condition exists 
Antilock brake system/traction control system is active for more than 2 seconds 
If the PCM determines that any of the cruise control inhibit conditions are present, the PCM will disengage the cruise control. The PCM accomplishes this by opening the cruise control inhibit signal circuit.
I could do that as well. I would like to avoid further hardware changes, mainly because I can use this as a learning experience. I think it's possible that my problem is based on a hardware configuration as well though, so changes may be necessary either way.

-----------------------

not much to report at this point, but I'm slowly using Tiny Tuner to mark known table addresses in the Ghidra, which might make figuring out other parameters a little easier, and maybe uncover additional functionality.
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

ejs262 wrote:

-----------------------

not much to report at this point, but I'm slowly using Tiny Tuner to mark known table addresses in the Ghidra, which might make figuring out other parameters a little easier, and maybe uncover additional functionality.
You can test Universal patcher, it can use tinytuner database, and also generate some pid list with ram addresses, and other useful stuff.

Do you have some stock reads, I am collecting all kind of v6 OS. I found a way to generate an OS interchange list, but need as much examples as possible.
ejs262

Post by ejs262 »

kur4o wrote:
ejs262 wrote:

-----------------------

You can test Universal patcher, it can use tinytuner database, and also generate some pid list with ram addresses, and other useful stuff.

Do you have some stock reads, I am collecting all kind of v6 OS. I found a way to generate an OS interchange list, but need as much examples as possible.

I'm super newb level with this, what's universal patcher?

Edit: found with a google search, checking it out, thanks!

I have a little over 400 files that should all be stock, almost all of them in the link below should be P04, and almost all are .bin files, with the occasional .cal, and maybe .hpt. I hope that's helpful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_D53f ... sp=sharing
Vampyre
cars: grand am, trans am

Post by Vampyre »

you still working on the P04 files ?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

@ejs262 Great collection, thankyou! That will be very helpful.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ejs262

Post by ejs262 »

Vampyre wrote:you still working on the P04 files ?
unfortunately, at the moment, I'm not, I have a ton of projects on my plate, and learning to read and write code isn't very productive towards multiples of them. I really wish I had about 7 of me to tackle all of these projects.
antus wrote:@ejs262 Great collection, thankyou! That will be very helpful.
I'm glad I could help!