Help reset 0411

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: Help reset 0411

Post by Tazzi »

The grounding is referring to a recover boot for the ECU.
Grounding the address line makes it boot into recover mode although Im not sure if that even works on a corrupted OS ecu.. Id assume the recover mode is separate to the main OS, something Dimented can give more info on.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes recovery mode is in the actual on flash bootloader (not what most people incorrectly call the bootloader). That is located at the start of the flash chip and has hardware protection so it sounds like it survives. But as above would need to get dimented involved.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

One thing to look out for is the supply voltage while re-flashing the OS with this type of PCM. If the Voltage drops under approx 12 volts you can brick the PCM. Check your bench harness voltage with ignition on. I like to see 13.8 volts. Never bricked one yet.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

kojab wrote:One thing to look out for is the supply voltage while re-flashing the OS with this type of PCM. If the Voltage drops under approx 12 volts you can brick the PCM. Check your bench harness voltage with ignition on. I like to see 13.8 volts. Never bricked one yet.
Exactly like the VZ V6 ECU's. Seem to brick if too low voltage when it does its reboot/re-initialization.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yes, its a physical limitation of the flash chip. It requires 12v to write and the chips write function is not reliable below that. Not much slack voltage before the problems start.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
evilstuie
cars: 1985 Pontiac TransAM

Post by evilstuie »

I found this on the Intel data sheet for the chip, but still decyphering all this foreign tech terminology into english:
When CE# and RP# pins are at VCC, the component enters a CMOS standby mode. Driving RP# to GND enables a deep power-down mode
which significantly reduces power consumption, provides write protection, resets the device, and clears the status register. A reset time (tPHQV) is
required from RP# switching high until outputs are valid. Likewise, the device has a wake time (tPHEL) from RP#-high until writes to the CUI are
recognized. See Section 4.2.
The deep power-down mode can also be used as a device reset, allowing the flash to be reset along
with the rest of the system. For example, when the flash memory powers-up, it automatically defaults
to the read array mode, but during a warm system reset, where power continues uninterrupted to the
system components, the flash memory could remain in a non-read mode, such as erase.
Consequently, the system Reset signal should be tied to RP# to reset the memory to normal read
mode upon activation of the Reset signal. This also provides protection against unwanted command
writes due to invalid system bus conditions during system reset or power-up/down sequences.
And the definition for the #RP pin:
RESET/DEEP POWER-DOWN: Uses three voltage levels (VIL, VIH, and VHH) to control two different functions: reset/deep power-down mode and boot block unlocking. It is backwards-compatible with the BX/BL/BV products.
I still don't think these will give me an answer on their own, even if I manually apply voltage or grounding (still not sure which for which) to these during power up, I think your software would still need to manually force flash the bin on yes?

I'm looking at buying a TL866A flasher and desoldering the chip to see if i can read it and what happened exactly, but I don't think I'll have the skill and coordination to solder the chip back on.
At least if I can do this i can flash the chip with the correct OS, then solder back onto the PCM
Asylumwarp

Post by Asylumwarp »

I currently went thru the same thing you just did, used the flash tool, bricked my pcms. I was able to fix my pcm without desoldering the flash chip. If you want, I could fix yours for you too. You would have to send me the pcm. I could program it for you and return it. Let me know. I have the tool to fix your situation. It took along time to figure out how to do it, and I just don't want to give it away just yet.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

evilstuie wrote:I found this on the Intel data sheet for the chip, but still decyphering all this foreign tech terminology into english:
When CE# and RP# pins are at VCC, the component enters a CMOS standby mode. Driving RP# to GND enables a deep power-down mode
which significantly reduces power consumption, provides write protection, resets the device, and clears the status register. A reset time (tPHQV) is
required from RP# switching high until outputs are valid. Likewise, the device has a wake time (tPHEL) from RP#-high until writes to the CUI are
recognized. See Section 4.2.
The deep power-down mode can also be used as a device reset, allowing the flash to be reset along
with the rest of the system. For example, when the flash memory powers-up, it automatically defaults
to the read array mode, but during a warm system reset, where power continues uninterrupted to the
system components, the flash memory could remain in a non-read mode, such as erase.
Consequently, the system Reset signal should be tied to RP# to reset the memory to normal read
mode upon activation of the Reset signal. This also provides protection against unwanted command
writes due to invalid system bus conditions during system reset or power-up/down sequences.
And the definition for the #RP pin:
RESET/DEEP POWER-DOWN: Uses three voltage levels (VIL, VIH, and VHH) to control two different functions: reset/deep power-down mode and boot block unlocking. It is backwards-compatible with the BX/BL/BV products.
I still don't think these will give me an answer on their own, even if I manually apply voltage or grounding (still not sure which for which) to these during power up, I think your software would still need to manually force flash the bin on yes?

I'm looking at buying a TL866A flasher and desoldering the chip to see if i can read it and what happened exactly, but I don't think I'll have the skill and coordination to solder the chip back on.
At least if I can do this i can flash the chip with the correct OS, then solder back onto the PCM
Had any luck so far?
evilstuie
cars: 1985 Pontiac TransAM

Post by evilstuie »

Still waiting for the programmer to arrive, I'll let you know.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

evilstuie wrote:Still waiting for the programmer to arrive, I'll let you know.
Get any further with this? Have been hearing a few people have dramas with this. :thumbdown: