Bricked LS1 1024kb Ecus

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
80gus

Bricked LS1 1024kb Ecus

Post by 80gus »

Ive got 3 sitting here, that are bricked i don't have the patients to de solder and reprogram, does anybody here do it regularly?
are they even worth doing? does any body do them a service, or does anybody want these for them self?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Bricked LS1 1024kb Ecus

Post by antus »

How did you brick them? Bootloader still ok / flash immediately at boottime possible?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Delcode does them at a very reasonable price mate

I've done a couple of 0411's not the best job that's for sure.
I used a heat gun to lift it and soldering iron to re install it.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

To update this thread, it has been found that you can short a pin to ground when powering them on to cause the bootloader to enter recovery mode. From that point PCM Hammer is able to do a flash recovery (read or write). You can use this to recover the key or return it to standard.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Details on the ground-a-pin process are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGeMK6LvQck
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

that makes it easy!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

We should clarify that PCM Hammer can only write to 512kb / P01 PCMs right now, and only to the calibration and parameter blocks of the flash chip. But we're working on 1024kb / P59 support, and we'll enable full flashing after we're confident that flashing is reliable.

The ground-a-pin trick makes recovering from a failed calibration or parameter flash pretty easy, so there isn't much risk, so we started with that. A failed OS flash is likely to require more effort and a $65 (plus shipping) BDM device.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

NSFW wrote:BDM device.
Any particular one?
Recommendation?

-Enjoy
: )_~
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Whiteaker

Post by Whiteaker »

NSFW wrote:We should put these rangefinders for hunting to test and clarify that PCM Hammer can only write to 512kb / P01 PCMs right now, and only to the calibration and parameter blocks of the flash chip. But we're working on 1024kb / P59 support, and we'll enable full flashing after we're confident that flashing is reliable.

The ground-a-pin trick makes recovering from a failed calibration or parameter flash pretty easy, so there isn't much risk, so we started with that. A failed OS flash is likely to require more effort and a $65 (plus shipping) BDM device.
How exactly do you perform the ground-a-pin trick and make sure you do absolutely no harm to the device?
Last edited by Whiteaker on Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Whiteaker wrote:How exactly do you perform the ground-a-pin trick and make sure you do absolutely no harm to the device?
The end of the video linked above in NSFW's post shows what contact to ground.
ContactGround.JPG