PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by NSFW »

My harness is basically the same as the diagram DavidBraley posted.

I thought the Sloppy wiring was the same, but just noticed that it has the OBD2 connector grounds (pins 4 & 5) connected to PCM pin 1, whereas the above diagram has the ground connected to PCM pin 60.

I wouldn't be surprised if both were effectively identical though. There are probably a few pins on the PCM connector that are all connected internally, because they're just grounds for different sensors.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Also, there are some changes coming to make AVT more reliable - both Antus and Tazzi pushed fixes up into GitHub about a week ago, and I've been meaning to merge everything and put out a new release, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
overlandh1978
cars: Blown HQ 1 ton LS
E85 LS VR Commodore
Everyone elses Junk

Post by overlandh1978 »

Afternoon all. Well it is here.
Finally got my allpro cable. Got the com port sorted and successfully connected to the 0411 pcm. I can see the vin numbers etc. However when I go for a full read i get a unlock timeout error. If the pcm has been tuner locked in either HP tuner or EFI live will this cause the problem. All I want to do is turn off VATS in the pcm as it has been tuned to suit the engine mods already but not in the original car anymore
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

NSFW,

Pin 60 and pin 1 inside the PCM are electrically connected together internally (blue connector socket). I like using pin 60 because it makes for a neater harness having all the wires close together.

What concerned me the most about Sloppy's bench programming harness is the inconsistencies in his own write-up about how to build it. He says in the description to wire 12 volts to pin 9 of the OBD2 port, but his table below shows it wired to pin 16. He then says in his description to wire the serial line to OBD2 port pin 7, but his table below shows it wired to pin 6. At that point I just decided I couldn't trust anything this guy was saying...

You can see what I'm talking about here:

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywik ... ch-harness

All the other bench programming harnesses I've seen out there are closer to what I show in the previous image.

On the OBD2 port:

Pin 2 serial data to pin 58 on the blue PCM connector
Pins 4-5 ground to pin 60 on the blue PCM connector
Pin 16 battery voltage to pin 20 on the blue PCM connector
Switched ignition 12v to pin 19 on the blue PCM connector

Below is the pin assignments image for the OBD2 port I used in building my harness. I hope this helps others too:
OBD2.jpg
OBD2.jpg (173.65 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
JonnyB
cars: 83 Ford Ranger, a friend's 91 Mustang that I'll be ls swapping with him (more like for him) and my daily driver 03 Silverado 2500hd rust bucket, lastly an lm7, lq4, and ly6 on stands

Post by JonnyB »

DavidBraley wrote:
JonnyB,

I too am very new to this, and when I did my research for building my bench programming harness, I compared the schematics/pinouts of several bench harnesses and found that the bench harness that Sloppy uses didn't match the others. In the picture below is the bench harness I built. It's very close to the Sloppy harness so you will not need to change much. It works with both the Blue/Red P01's and the Blue/Green P59's. You might make yours like this one below and try to read again? Also, make sure your power supply is something reliable, above 12 volts, and able to put out at least 1.5 amps.:
offboard_harness1.png
If others have had good luck with Sloppy's bench harness, please speak up. I have no experience with it.
Thx David, I remember comparing other's too, probably how I overlooked the discrepencies on his chart, wow! I have pin 1 as pcm ground, so I'll switch that to 60 (yes cleans it up too). Sloppy's never mentioned needing a switch (ignition) on 19. I'll try rounding up a switch today just because, but is it crucial to how the program works? Im using a 1.5A source, as I recall it mentioned 1A minimum. Ill scrounge around for maybe a 2A
Thx again! You guys are great!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

The following is my personal opinion and is just that, My opinion!

[incorrect]
The switch is not a requirement, it's a luxury that you will want ... at times you may (will) need to KeyOn/KeyOff without powering down the Pcm.
[/incorrect]

[correct]
The switch is a requirement, not a luxury ... at times you will need to KeyOn/KeyOff without powering down the Pcm.
[/correct]

Lights and volt meters are overkill ...

1 amp is sufficient to run the Pcm, if you plan to power other devices with the same power supply at the same time then increase it.
I am using a Netgear Router 12v 1.2A wall wart.

-Enjoy
Last edited by Gampy on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Don't you need the switch to key off power to finalise programming
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
darkhorizon
cars: 1988 Pontiac Fiero

Post by darkhorizon »

overlandh1978 wrote:Afternoon all. Well it is here.
Finally got my allpro cable. Got the com port sorted and successfully connected to the 0411 pcm. I can see the vin numbers etc. However when I go for a full read i get a unlock timeout error. If the pcm has been tuner locked in either HP tuner or EFI live will this cause the problem. All I want to do is turn off VATS in the pcm as it has been tuned to suit the engine mods already but not in the original car anymore
What osid number did it give you?
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

First,

I want to apologize to this forum community if my last message I posted last night seemed like I was a bit harsh on Sloppy's bench programming harness. I'm sure he is a good guy. Anyone who puts that much time and effort into helping others has to be. My excuse? It was after midnight when I wrote that message, and I was just being old and cranky. I'm already old, so it's a short step for me to get cranky. I appreciate this community and feel lucky to be a part of it.

JonnyB,

I'm betting that Gampy is right about the power supply you are using is enough. I'm just weird about my tools and processes. Because I'm so new to this stuff, I try to remove any and all obstacles from my path of learning that I can. I'm also a big fan of overbuilding stuff. If the ground is already wired to your #1 pin on the blue connector, I would leave it. Make sure though that your data line is connected to pin 58 on the blue PCM connector and pin #2 on the OBD2 socket.

Gampy,

I sent you a pm with that bin file you needed.

Delcowizzid,

I think you are right. It's my understanding that the switched ignition line on the bench programming harness is for things like changing a vin number. In PCM Hammer, after you change the vin number, you need to turn off the ignition power source to the PCM (not the battery source) for 10 or 15 seconds or so, and then turn it back on for the vin change to take effect. I am so new to this stuff, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks everyone and take care,

David
-David

DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

One update that may be of use to others,

I was able to use PCM Hammer version 4 to change the vin number on the 12586243 P59 PCM I have here on my bench. I understand that write support is not activated in PCM hammer for these 1 meg PCM's yet, but a full read of this PCM and a vin change does work.

David

Quick update to this post:

It seems that PCM Hammer will change the vin on the 6106 Intel Flash P59 I have here too. This is the 1 meg PCM that PCM Hammer presently will not read. But it will change the vin number...
-David