PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
draz53
cars: 2000 Camaro SS

Re: PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

Post by draz53 »

Has anyone has actually run pcmhammer v15 using OBDX VT Pro v2 via bluetooth?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

It is not a PcmHammer issue ...

It is a device installation issue.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Gampy wrote:It is not a PcmHammer issue ...

It is a device installation issue.
Yes agree, seems odd no one else would have run into this, my setup is pretty generic, except maybe for having other BT devices, no other hardware except the laptop. I've sent email to obdxpro support.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

It’s a windows issue from what you are saying, since your bluetooth port should be both incoming and outgoing otherwise it can only send or only receive.

To test if the Bluetooth is working quickly, you can use an android device with lsdroid to test.
On windows, use USB to test the obdx device is working with pcmhammer

Once both confirmed working, then then go back to solving what’s happening with windows.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Tazzi wrote:It’s a windows issue from what you are saying, since your bluetooth port should be both incoming and outgoing otherwise it can only send or only receive.

To test if the Bluetooth is working quickly, you can use an android device with lsdroid to test.
On windows, use USB to test the obdx device is working with pcmhammer

Once both confirmed working, then then go back to solving what’s happening with windows.
Well it's either a windows issue (doubtful, it's an unmodified windows 8.1 with BT known working with other devices, and the OBDX does pair correctly), or an OBDX driver issue. In either case, the OBDX developer(s) need to address it - either that or explain why creating the 2 COM ports is being done correctly, in which case they need to get together with you guys... All I know is that (a) 2 COM ports are created when and only when the OBDX driver is instlled, (b) you guys say there should only be one COM port.

It would be helpful if there was even one example of someone using this device with pcmhammer/BT.

UPDATE: I just realized I can try installing the driver on my wife's laptop and see how many ports it creates. Will post the result.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I don't know if it's a Windows 8.1 issue or a driver issue with Windows 8.1, the device is known to work with other Windows versions, though sketchy.

Your other devices are not BT->Serial ... A known sketchy technique in Windows.

I'll say it again, it is NOT supposed to be creating two COM ports ... That is a failure and I do suspect it's a driver installation failure.

Have you tested BT on a Android device ??
Have you tested with USB ??
The point is to ensure the device is working correctly ...

You are talking to one of the OBDX Pro developers and partners, and it's not me!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Just installed it on my wife's laptop, running Windows 10 (ugh). Again it created 2 COM ports, this time COM4 and COM5! Again, pcmhammer couldn't initialize the device. The OBDX did pair, like on my laptop, but this time no other BT devices had previously been installed. So, basically the identical problem on a different laptop and windows 10 instead of 8.1.

Is it possible there is an obsolete driver posted on the internet? I notice the pcmhammer menu says "OBDX Pro" but not v2.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Hmmm, Interesting ...

I would say that is a driver install issue.
What driver from where ??

The list in PcmHammer is a static list ... PcmHammer has no clue what the device is until it connects and asks the device, that is after you select the OK button in the Device Picker dialog.

draz53

Post by draz53 »

Driver came from https://obdxpro.com/downloads. I diff'd the one currently there against the one I installed on the laptop and they're the same.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Doesn't say anything about BT, just USB.

I don't know what BT installations require, never created one.

Again, I suggest following the given advice and do the two recommended tests, 1. USB on Windows, 2. Blue Tooth on Android, this is to test the device to ensure it is in proper working order, it may be flawed, it happens!