PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
jay woo

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by jay woo »

This may also be of help. https://github.com/Just4pLeisure
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

What is that? I'm very green with GitHub.
jay woo

Post by jay woo »

Sorry I should have explained it a little better. It was really directed at NSFW. If people follow the projects under the link they will find mybooty. I love the name for the project, before you ask I have not been working in mybooty. Mybooty has code for a bootloader that works with a trionic ecu. The trionic ecu is very similar hardware to a gm ecu. The developers had issues with eeprom chips just as NSFW has had. It is probably over the average users head. I chose to post the link and no PM it to keep information public.

If you want info on git, let me know and I will see what I can find. I remember looking at a tutorial that was good. I am happy to try and find. Others on this forum are probable better placed and knowledgeable to answer questions on it than me.
mysticpete
cars: 1980 corvette with 2004 LS1 statesman transmission; Nissan Pathfinder

Post by mysticpete »

Hi all
I currently share hardware that can read/write the 411 PCM's (sorry I coundn't wait any longer for a freeware version) but I am following your progress and think this is going to be a really great addition to the family of free software that this group produce, so thank you for all your efforts.
one quick question, I wanted to try this out but on my Dell Latitude win32 machine but when opening the downloaded package it says that its not Windows 32 compatible, so do I have to build a 32 bit version myself, sorry not very savvy on building versions?
Pete
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Thanks for the link, jay, I just unbricked one of my P59s so I'm going to take another shot at P59 support.

mysticpete, can you post a screenshot of the error message you're getting?
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I think the tricky part of P59 flashing is a solved problem - I flashed my bench PCM a half-dozen times today and it just worked every time.

There's a bit more work to do, to ensure that random failures won't brick the PCM, but that part should be pretty straightforward.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

NSFW wrote:I think the tricky part of P59 flashing is a solved problem - I flashed my bench PCM a half-dozen times today and it just worked every time.

There's a bit more work to do, to ensure that random failures won't brick the PCM, but that part should be pretty straightforward.
Can you share how you un-bricked it?
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

You didn't see my post in your thread at usbjtag.com :)

The key thing was to define a new flash chip. All credit goes to the guy who made this post a few days ago:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnost ... st20172737

He posted a screenshot of the dialog box. I just had to copy an existing chip definition, and change the ID number. And then it just worked. Give it a shot...
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

NSFW wrote:I think the tricky part of P59 flashing is a solved problem - I flashed my bench PCM a half-dozen times today and it just worked every time.

Bout time you did something worthwhile!
ImageNow quit spouting off your good deeds and GET BACK TO WORK!
Obviously a backhanded compliment ... I happen to admire his C# coding skills very much and I do believe he already knows that!
NSFW wrote:You didn't see my post in your thread at usbjtag.com :)

The key thing was to define a new flash chip. All credit goes to the guy who made this post a few days ago:

He posted a screenshot of the dialog box. I just had to copy an existing chip definition, and change the ID number. And then it just worked. Give it a shot...
WHOO HOO!
So it's been working all along, just no end users configured for the correct chip? ... Until now.

AWESOME WORK PEOPLES!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

NSFW wrote:You didn't see my post in your thread at usbjtag.com :)

That is fantastic! It just goes to show how bad I am at all of this. I'll give it a try this weekend.

I'm sure I mentioned it in my BDM thread, DO NOT ever put the auxiliary programming 12 volts to the AMD flash chips. The chip has that circuitry built into it. If you do, you will most likely do harm to both the flash ram and the main board of the PCM. The P59 main board that uses the 1 meg AMD flash (2004+) is a little different than the P59 used for the older 1 meg Intel flash (2003). Some pull-up resisters and a jumper are missing on the board. I should take a picture of the differences and post it over on the BDM thread.

Because the 2003 Intel flash based P59 is an odd duck, I wouldn't spend a minute trying to get it to work. But you do what you want! 8-)

I'll see if I can write to the Intel based P59 with the BDM rig I have here this weekend too.
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.