PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
darkhorizon
cars: 1988 Pontiac Fiero

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by darkhorizon »

What's the osid on the one that it won't read?
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Post by bubba2533 »

I am confused by that since mine has the same OSID. I wouldn't think that a V8 vs. a V6 would make a difference.

If you have a HPTuners or EFI Live of the same tune that is on there I almost want to spend the credits to flash your tune and try to read it with PCM Hammer.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Vin change uses a standard gm api, no kernel is required so it'll work on any vpw pcm. Ignition is semi needed because you trigger pcms shutdown code which persists vin change to flash when ignition is disconnected and b+ is still live.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

The OS is not going to change the readability unless it's locked ...

JonnyB,

My apologies, the switch is required ... You will need to be able to do KeyOn and KeyOff.

[edit]
Damn I type slow, antus beat me ...
[/edit]
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Currently locked pcms are not supported. If you know the key you could modify the source code and re-compile to send it. At a later stage we might improve support in this area and at the very least implement custom key entry.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

Gampy wrote:The OS is not going to change the readability unless it's locked ...
Gampy,

You bring up a good point. I tried more than a dozen times with no luck, using the "ground the pin" technique I found at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5502

I even subtly changed the timing of when and how long I would ground the pin.

Not sure why it will not read with PCM Hammer. The USB BDM NT device reads it, but I'm guessing it has something to do with partially bypassing the CPU to do it. I really don't know, so don't trust that last statement...

I of course can't be 100% certain, but I have doubts that the PCM is locked. It arrived to me via USPS from an ebay purchase in a greasy finger print covered Priority Mail padded envelope. When I took it out of the envelope, it was COVERED in grease.

I'm guessing it's more likely the PCM bin file has something corrupted about it. My plan is to wait until PCM Hammer or my BDM rig can properly write to the 1 meg Intel flash P59's. Then I will do a complete reflash of the darn thing with a completely different but compatible bin. I think I've heard this called "Cloning." If that doesn't fix it, I will carefully lift and replace the flash chip and try again...
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah thats probably why it was taken out the car. Clone will probably sort it. You are correct that a bdm read is completely different to a flash over the data port.
JonnyB
cars: 83 Ford Ranger, a friend's 91 Mustang that I'll be ls swapping with him (more like for him) and my daily driver 03 Silverado 2500hd rust bucket, lastly an lm7, lq4, and ly6 on stands

Post by JonnyB »

Thanks David, Gampy, Antus,

I'll wire in a switch for ignition power, makes perfect sense. Hell, I screwed up a cheap home printer by unplugging before powering down lol, just ask the wife... no dont really, please :) I did switch the ground from pin 1 to 60 and the same error occured, so at least nothing has changed. The pcm I have is an ebay special, so I have no history (except vin shows 01 Yukon) unless I poke and prod the seller, I guess. It reads data through a Mac scantool fine and nothing on the monitor list shows disabled etc, (maybe unmolested). Is the "buffer_empty" error typically indicitive of a pcm, or interface, or pc/file issue? MS c++ is up to date. One test I can do this weekend is try to run the engine with it and starting fluid, see what happens :)

Thanks again, guys!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

JonnyB,

I don't see a log posted from your attempt, did you post one?
Always a good idea to post both a Read Properties log and a Debug log from the issue.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!