PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

Post by Tazzi »

Bluetooth is handled by windows, the bluetooth module a HC05, works perfectly with android devices.

The 'driver' is for USB connection. Bluetooth does not need its own specific driver as its handled by windows.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
draz53
cars: 2000 Camaro SS

Post by draz53 »

Now I see what's going on - the OBDX Pro just doesn't support bluetooth on windows! I see now it says "bluetooth (android)" on the web page. Maybe I missed that about a month ago when I backordered it (did it always say that?). Perhaps someone could have replied to my email to support@obdxpro.com (or replied on here) and said "bluetooth on windows is not implemented". Unlike pcmhammer which is free and a collaborative effort, OBDX is a product being sold by a business, so should have some kind of customer support that can deal with very basic issues like this, like what's a bug vs what's a missing feature, or lack of documentation, or whatever. The only documentation available on the web site is one document for obdx developers, and says nothing about how to install for bluetooth, so I am only inferring from the lack of documentation that there is no way to connect via bluetooth on windows. The small instruction sheet I got with the device also says nothing on the subject, refers to the webpage.

Update: edited for being overly harsh!
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

draz53 wrote:Now I see what's going on - the OBDX Pro just doesn't support bluetooth on windows! I see now it says "bluetooth (android)" on the web page. Maybe I missed that about a month ago when I backordered it (did it always say that?). Perhaps someone could have replied to my email to support@obdxpro.com (or replied on here) and said "bluetooth on windows is not implemented". Unlike pcmhammer which is free and a collaborative effort, OBDX is a product being sold by a business, so should have some kind of customer support that can deal with very basic issues like this, like what's a bug vs what's a missing feature, or lack of documentation, or whatever. The only documentation available on the web site is one document for obdx developers, and says nothing about how to install for bluetooth, so I am only inferring from the lack of documentation that there is no way to connect via bluetooth on windows. The small instruction sheet I got with the device also says nothing on the subject, refers to the webpage.

Update: edited for being overly harsh!
You are speaking to the developer right now.
Your emails have been during the weekend and also a public holiday (for myself in Australia), thus all emails are responded back today.

The OBDX does work for bluetooth on a windows device, it works for myself on my laptop. Windows does seem to randomly hang occasionally when trying to use pcmhammer, as windows disconnects (by it self) from the device when it does not believe it is being used, and then will attempt to reconnect which can cause the app to compeltely crash, or if no device connects then this also causes problems.

The bluetooth/wireless is primarily designed for smartphones which integrate with bluetooth/wifi devices very easily and seamlessly, whereas it seems windows does not make serial based bluetooth devices connect and work so easily.

There is no 'install' for bluetooth. Your computer is the one that has the bluetooth software/drivers/capability in it, its up to it to connect to it.

My laptop does not appear to be having the same problem as yours with the ports so I am unsure. Is there an issue with using USB with the tool?
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Tazzi wrote: You are speaking to the developer right now.
Your emails have been during the weekend and also a public holiday (for myself in Australia), thus all emails are responded back today.

The OBDX does work for bluetooth on a windows device, it works for myself on my laptop. Windows does seem to randomly hang occasionally when trying to use pcmhammer, as windows disconnects (by it self) from the device when it does not believe it is being used, and then will attempt to reconnect which can cause the app to compeltely crash, or if no device connects then this also causes problems.

The bluetooth/wireless is primarily designed for smartphones which integrate with bluetooth/wifi devices very easily and seamlessly, whereas it seems windows does not make serial based bluetooth devices connect and work so easily.

There is no 'install' for bluetooth. Your computer is the one that has the bluetooth software/drivers/capability in it, its up to it to connect to it.

My laptop does not appear to be having the same problem as yours with the ports so I am unsure. Is there an issue with using USB with the tool?
Sorry for weekend email.
I'm assuming via USB will probably work, but I primarily ordered OBDX to get rid of the cable. As I've said, it does pair in windows, and makes 2 COM ports. I've tried this on 2 different laptops, with windows 8.1 and windows10, same thing on both, it creates 2 com ports. It's only supposed to create 1, right? Or is that wrong? Also, the driver is clearly doing something to make it install the COM ports. If I un-install the driver, the _only_ driver that's available as far as I can tell, and delete the device pairing, and reboot, it does not create the COM ports. I've had no problems with disconnection, or windows hanging.
Is the person that wrote the driver available to answer these questions?
Can you provide me with a procedure to install and only get 1 COM port, if that's what should happen? I'd really like it to work in windows.

Update: Also, maybe I'm not supposed to install the driver at all for BT? But in that case, no ports are created and nothing for pcmhammer to connect to.

Update2: Yes from what you said seems like I should not have installed the driver, I don't think I ever tried pcmhammer without the driver installed, will do so.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

The driver is only for the USB comport, it has nothing to do with bluetooth in anyway.

Windows automatically creates comports when connecting to a bluetooth device which uses the serial profile for communication, it is not related to the USB driver in anyway. The USB driver only applies to usb devices which have a matching USB PID/VID which tells the computer to use that driver with that USB device.

Bluetooth is all handled by windows it self, windows creates the comports and handles the wireless connection. Ill be back with my laptop in a couple hours to take another look at the laptops setup but I just paired it only had the one port for my laptop.
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Yeah I tried again starting with no OBDX in the device manager, no COM ports. With the device plugged in, had to go to the BT control panel to pair the device (have always had to do that), then... it created 2 COM ports again. COM3 and COM4. Tried to use COM4 again from pcmhammer, instead of the "can't initialize" message it just didn't do anything. Tried COM3 it crashed. So from what you said the driver plays no part in this, so why are two different versions of windows on 2 unrelated laptops creating 2 COM ports when I pair the device? Seems like a hardware/firmware problem in that case. Or maybe since I installed the driver it's interfering somehow? How to I completely and utterly remove it from existence on my laptop?
Thanks for the help. I see you're in WA, we used to live in Issaquah. EDIT: Oh wait, WA is Western Australia? lol.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

draz53 wrote:Yeah I tried again starting with no OBDX in the device manager, no COM ports. With the device plugged in, had to go to the BT control panel to pair the device (have always had to do that), then... it created 2 COM ports again. COM3 and COM4. Tried to use COM4 again from pcmhammer, instead of the "can't initialize" message it just didn't do anything. Tried COM3 it crashed. So from what you said the driver plays no part in this, so why are two different versions of windows on 2 unrelated laptops creating 2 COM ports when I pair the device? Seems like a hardware/firmware problem in that case. Or maybe since I installed the driver it's interfering somehow? How to I completely and utterly remove it from existence on my laptop?
Thanks for the help. I see you're in WA, we used to live in Issaquah. EDIT: Oh wait, WA is Western Australia? lol.
If it was a device/firmware issue then we would be having issues with every single device being use with android phones ;)

I think your getting a bit confused on what the purpose of a comport is how they work. Windows will automatically create a comport for serial bluetooth devices to allow communciation to them. Comports are used on PCs for softwares to be able to connect to them and communicate with them. It is windows that creates these ports, not the OBDX device. The OBDX tool has a bluetooth module on it which simple allows communication to bluetooth enabled devices, it has no control over creating comports on your computer.

So your computer is whats creating the 2 COM ports. I am not sure why its showing as two or why it says "incoming" and "Outgoing" as its like windows has decided to make separate comports for sending data and receiving data. Which again, is a windows thing. Maybe theres a setting to combine them.

As before, the USB driver, is only for USB. This is why the 'driver' doesnt get installed on mobile devices which are completely wireless :thumbup:
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

https://www.silabs.com/community/wirele ... erial-NP23 this describes that 2 com ports in windows is normal, and that incoming and outgoing does not mean one side of the data stream each, but paraphrasing that text it sounds more like some kind of slave and master in the bluetooth module. reading that though it sounds like it should work on one or the other. Im not sure about the v2 device, but do I have an early device i'll try at some stage when im at the same site it is at and see if I can reproduce.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:https://www.silabs.com/community/wirele ... erial-NP23 this describes that 2 com ports in windows is normal, and that incoming and outgoing does not mean one side of the data stream each, but paraphrasing that text it sounds more like some kind of slave and master in the bluetooth module. reading that though it sounds like it should work on one or the other. Im not sure about the v2 device, but do I have an early device i'll try at some stage when im at the same site it is at and see if I can reproduce.
Ah ok interesting! Once Im sitting with the laptop, I can test away.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Let me guess, your laptop is a toshiba? If not, probably other vendors do their own thing also to replace Microsofts BT stack as well. My memory and experience with BT on windows is that its not very good. From back in the early days when it wasnt supported at all (yet it was on apple macs), and laptop companies shipped their own 3rd party stack, then later they did add their own but it never worked well. Even now on current windows 10 I still have problems with my bluetooth headphones pairing properly. I often have to turn them on, let them pair, tell windows to disconnect and remove the device, then pair again before I can get any audio coming out despite the fact windows is saying the headphones are the speakers. Then the next time it'll work first try. Its quite frustrating :( The same headphones pair fine automatically, and even work, on my work mac every time.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396