PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by NSFW »

I just put up a new release with support for flashing calibration and parameter blocks on P59 PCMs:
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/ ... 9.11.24.01

Keep in mind that I don't actually have a vehicle with a P59, so I've only done bench testing with it.

Who wants to be the first volunteer to try it in a vehicle?
Keep a spare PCM handy just in case. :)
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Super Awesome job.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Good work. From your commit notes a couple of stpx command fixes for scantool devices too? If so those who were hsving problems with that device on P01s should test this release too?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Not related to STPX exactly but I did add some tool-present messages around the switch to 4X, and that might help.

I had disabled STPX while working on the logger (just for testing) and you might be looking at the change where I re-enabled it.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Monaro
cars: Monaro ls1

Post by Monaro »

p01 osid 12225074 write fail debug.pdf
(259.77 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Hi Guys,

New to forum and trying to update a flash on a P01 ecu. Using PCM Hammer Ver 6 with a VXDIAG - vcxnano J2534.
Need help - not sure if this is where to post this but - have read PCM - changed vin - all good. Did a full read and edited bin file with Tunerpro - changed vats/diff/vss settings.
Tried a test write on the PCM - all came up fine with no errors in log.

Tried to write the calibration only and write fail.

I have restarted it and PCM Hammer can do a full read - so not bricked.

The OSID is 12225074

Am doing this on a bench - only thought is either my power supply is dropping during the flash process, voltmeter showing 11.6v fully powered and 2.5amps.
Or a hardware problem, but if I can do everything but write, comms with pcm must working I’d think.

Any help greatly appreciated

Have since installed Version 7 and pcm reads - just not ready try to flash if I have a hardware problem.
I also have a P59 pcm that I will try once I get this to work.

Debug file attached.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

You need to get that supply voltage up when flashing these PCMs. Above 13 volts should be fine. I use 13.8 volts which is a good operating voltage to make it very safe to reflash.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

2.5amps usage seems quite excessive? I dont believe I see mine go that high at all.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Monaro

Post by Monaro »

kojab wrote:You need to get that supply voltage up when flashing these PCMs. Above 13 volts should be fine. I use 13.8 volts which is a good operating voltage to make it very safe to reflash.

Thanks - I thought the voltage was going too low. I managed to borrow a decent power supply from work - set it up at 13.8 volts and all good - max current pull was .5A so that fixed that problem.

It seems the VXdiag J2534 can be a little fussy. On the bench, I found I had to power up the pcm with the VXDiag connected - wait for the beep to confirm it booted - then attach to the PC USB, fire up PCM Hammer - Select J2534 - test all ok and read properties. I was able to then go straight to flash calibration and it flashed properly. Crossed everything LOL!

Before doing this I had loaded everything up, checked properties, read and saved the bin file, but when asking it to the re-read properties comms would stop as if pcm was not responding and I would get a ERR_BUFFER_EMPTY message in the debug file - seemed to have lost total communication with the pcm. I then powered it all down - restarted in the order above and it worked again. I think this VXDIAG is probably not as reliable as the other devices everyone is using.

Job done - great job with the software - I used release 6 to do this :thumbup:
Last edited by Monaro on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Monaro wrote:
kojab wrote:You need to get that supply voltage up when flashing these PCMs. Above 13 volts should be fine. I use 13.8 volts which is a good operating voltage to make it very safe to reflash.

Thanks - I thought the voltage was going too low. I managed to borrow a decent power supply from work - set it up at 13.8 volts and all good - max current pull was .5A so that fixed that problem.

It seems the VXdiag J2534 can be a little fussy. On the bench, I found I had to power up the pcm with the VXDiag connected - wait for the beep to confirm it booted - then attach to the PC USB, fire up PCM Hammer - Select J2534 - test all ok and read properties. I was able to then go straight to flash calibration and it flashed properly. Crossed everything LOL!

Before doing this I had loaded everything up, checked properties, read and saved the bin file, but when asking it to the re-read properties comms would stop as if pcm was not responding and I would get a ERR_BUFFER_EMPTY message in the debug file - seemed to have lost total communication with the pcm. I then powered it all down - restarted in the order above and it worked again. I think this VXDIAG is probably not as reliable as the other devices everyone is using.

Job done - great job with the software. :thumbup:
I believe the J2534 VPW transceiver internally heavily relies on the battery voltage fed to it. So if you connect the cable witht he software before connecting to the car and letting it boot properly, then it likely doesnt setup the internal parts properly.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Monaro

Post by Monaro »

Spot on with connecting to car first.