PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by DavidBraley »

Got around to trying out PCMHammer version 4 this evening and found I couldn't get it to read the contents of the memory on one of my 0411 PCM's. This is all from my bench and not from a car. Using the AllPro USB like before. I get a "Failed to load kernel file." message. Out of curiosity, I tried to read the same 0411 PCM using PCMHammer version 3 and it worked perfectly. It's possible I have something wrong on my end for version 4 of the software to work.

Here is the output from both the Results tab and the Debug Log tab when trying to use version 4 of the software:
KernalLoadFail.txt
(7.73 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Going out on a limb here, but when this line shows up in the Debug Log:

"[06:09:15:409] Error accessing file E:\Users\David Braley\PCHammer\PCMHammer\PCMHammer4\PcmHammer004\read-kernel.bin"

I checked if the "read-kernel.bin" file even existed in the path shown above, and it does not. The "write-kernel.bin" file doesn't exist in the same path either.

Anywho, I hope this helps!

Thanks and take care,

David
Last edited by DavidBraley on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Thanks for posting that.

I forgot to copy the .bin files into the directory before I created the zip file. I'll fix that in a few minutes.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I just updated the .zip file, please download it again and give it another try.

Sorry about that!
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Fnelson

Post by Fnelson »

antus wrote:Nope, he has taken a lot from the forums here but has not been an active member for many years by his own choice.
what flash tool should I buy and where from. I have 3 classic cars I plan on putting a ls in each of them.
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

If you think it was me that edited your details from your ls1 chksum plugin then your very mistaken
All the ls1 xdf files I write do not need any external plugins , they use the default tunerpro chksum plugin to calculate all calibration modules checksums . I have never needed to use your plugin , edited it in any way or ever even distributed it.
I would suggest asking the person that posted the hacked version where they got it from .
I have sold over 300 of my ls1 flash tool cable and software , feel free to ask any number of the members on this site that have purchased it to verify that I don't distribute your plugin with my software
If I need to correct a checksum I have far superior software that ive written to do the job .
Attachments
TUNERPRO LS1 CHKSM CALC.jpg
TUNERPRO LS1 CHKSM CALC.jpg (84.12 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
LSX CHECKSUM CORRECTOR.jpg
LSX CHECKSUM CORRECTOR.jpg (113.53 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all, haven't posted in awhile and haven't seen any one else ask, so is there any support for the 60degree V6's, such as the LA1 3400?
I ask because I recently purchased a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL that has one.
My understanding is that the PCM is related to the 0411 but uses a completely different part number - 12582720, 12583826, 12583827 & 89017736.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Mike.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

NSFW wrote:I just updated the .zip file, please download it again and give it another try.

Sorry about that!
Glad to hear it was something simple!

PCMHammer version 4 is now working for me. Thank You!

I've read that PCMHammer can read the 1 meg P59 PCM's, but I don't seem to be able to. Not with any version of PCMHammer. The 1 meg PCM I have here is a 2003 12576106 with hardware number 12570558 and OS 12579405. When I try to read it with PCMHammer I get a "Permission to upload kernel was denied". Here is the Results Tab and Debug Log Tab...
P59_Read_Fail.txt
(8.41 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
It's not as important for me that I can get a 1 meg P59 working, but I thought it was interesting or possibly helpful for your testing to know I wasn't able to read it.

Thanks again for all the help!

David
Last edited by DavidBraley on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

NSFW

Post by NSFW »

DavidBraley wrote: I've read that PCMHammer can read the 1 meg P59 PCM's, but I don't seem to be able to. Not with any version of PCMHammer. The 1 meg PCM I have here is a 2003 12576106 with hardware number 12570558 and OS 12579405. When I try to read it with PCMHammer I get a "Permission to upload kernel was denied". Here is the Results Tab and Debug Log Tab...

[11:06:56:557] Permission to upload kernel was denied.
I'm not really sure what causes that error, but I've seen it a couple times with the 411 that I've been using for testing. My only guess so far is that it might be caused by sending messages to the PCM while it is booting, but that's just a guess.

Please give this a try:

0) Close PCM Hammer
1) Cut all power to the PCM
2) Wait 15 seconds
3) Power up the PCM
4) Wait 10 seconds and don't use anything to communicate with the PCM during this period
5) Open PCM Hammer
6) Try to do a full read, and wait for the 10-second dialog to go away on its own.

Basically just ensure that the PCM gets a long time to start up before you try to communicate with it.

Maybe raise that delay in step 4 to 30 seconds if this doesn't work.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks!
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

I remember reading this same tip you gave to someone else earlier, so I always wait way more than 10 seconds before I try a read. I wait until the 10 second timer is long finished. When I start a session, my procedure is to apply 12v power to the battery pin for 15 seconds, then apply the 12v power to the ignition pin and wait 15 seconds before I ever open the PCMHammer app. I then read the vin and os settings to make sure the communication is good before I ever try to read. I figured better safe then sorry. I did try to read the PCM three different times with no luck. It got me thinking about that thread where people would jump a pin to ground on the back of the main board to get past a locked PCM, but I could clearly see in the Debug Log that the PCM is being unlocked by PCMHammer...

Now after saying all that... I just successfully read a 2nd 1 meg P59 (year 2004) that just landed on my porch today, with OS 12587603 and Hardware number 12583659 using PCMHammer version 4. If you see a pattern here with my choices of P59's, I'm trying to find a few that have the IAC driver on the main board. That way if I do ever try to use one of these in a project, I will have more flexibility with both DBC or DBW options. So far both of these have the IAC drivers thanks to that helpful text file on the 7603 OS on the github site.

I got curious as to why one PCM would read and the other one wouldn't. So I took the two P59 PCM's apart and found that the 03 PCM I couldn't read with PCMHammer has an Intel AB28F800 flash chip and the 04 PCM that I just successfully read from has the AMD AM29F800BB flash chip. I have no idea if this has any effect, but just in case it helps you guys, there it is.

I can't say enough how grateful I am this tool has come into existence! Plus I admit to having a lot of fun learning something completely new, to me anyway.

Take care,

David
-David

antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

For read there is nothing special about the different types of flash chip. Write is different which is why we need to do more work before we can write the AMD chips. They're actually quite a pain to get right.
It sounds to me like a flag is set in the PCM which makes it think its not safe to accept an upload, probably nothing to do with pcmhammer. This happened to NSFWs pcm during development and the only way we could recover it was to jump the pin to unlock it without the full OS running, then re-write the paramater block. Thats why that feature is in the app. However in this case it wont help you because we dont have write support for the AMD chip. For now if you want to get a read, jump the pin on the back to force recovery mode and do a read - that will work. Once the AMD write support is in you'll be able to recover it properly. At the moment were all back at work and development has slowed (most of pcm hammer was written over our christmas holidays), and we need to get the OS support for the intel chips in first.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396