PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
THEFERMANATOR

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by THEFERMANATOR »

I guess I'll try manually inputting the seed key my other PCM uses and see if I can read it then.
THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR »

Yortt wrote:
THEFERMANATOR wrote:
DavidBraley wrote:Is it possible EFI Live somehow locked the bin file the last time it was used to make changes to the PCM?
Don't think so. I just went back in and read it out using the stock key with no problem. I even went and flashed a different cal file in it making sure there was no locking protection enabled, and it went through without a problem. I have 2 identical PCM's setting on my kitchen table, a 35 amp power supply, bench harness, and tuning equipment. My V2 will read either PCM without problem(only 1 is licensed to my cable), I can connect my TECH 2 to either without issue, and I can even read the properties out of either PCM without issue, but I cannot read the file out of the PCM that is licensed to my V2. When I last flashed it, the seed key showed up as $FFFF if that helps. $2B76 is the seed key showing up for the PCM with a fresh TECH 2 flash in it.
The later Flashscan software changes/cycles the seed which continues to be identified by Flashscan but is effectively locked to other software due to the seed key mismatch.
I asked them about this and they said unless you select to lock it, they do not change the seed key. I went in with my tech2 and had no troubles connecting with it.
160plus

Post by 160plus »

THEFERMANATOR wrote:
DavidBraley wrote:Is it possible EFI Live somehow locked the bin file the last time it was used to make changes to the PCM?
Don't think so. I just went back in and read it out using the stock key with no problem. I even went and flashed a different cal file in it making sure there was no locking protection enabled, and it went through without a problem. I have 2 identical PCM's setting on my kitchen table, a 35 amp power supply, bench harness, and tuning equipment. My V2 will read either PCM without problem(only 1 is licensed to my cable), I can connect my TECH 2 to either without issue, and I can even read the properties out of either PCM without issue, but I cannot read the file out of the PCM that is licensed to my V2. When I last flashed it, the seed key showed up as $FFFF if that helps. $2B76 is the seed key showing up for the PCM with a fresh TECH 2 flash in it.
What is the PCM service number and what OS did you flash on it with EFI Live? When the seed shows up as FFFF on a 512K most of the time its due to flashing a 99/00 OS onto a 01/02 pcm or vise versa. The offset changes where data is written and a lot of times a check byte will not line back up correctly and will cause this issue.

You can also go into EFI Live in the FLASH tab and under Pcm Security check to see if there is a "Tuner Lock" in place on the PCM that was done by EFI Live. If it reports an unlocked status that means the seed/key is stock or the PCM is already unlocked(meaning the key is 0000). If it shows there is a tuner lock then just remove it.

You can always ground the pin in this picture and then read the pcm with another tool or do a complete flash if you'd rather just over write whats on it. With the pcm turned on ground the pin for 1/2-1 second and then read or write the pcm. It will allow you to temporally bypass the Seed/Key unlock.
P01_P59_Ground 1 second to recover or unlock.jpg
160plus

Post by 160plus »

THEFERMANATOR wrote: I went in with my tech2 and had no troubles connecting with it.
Reading live data with a Tech 2 has nothing to do with the seed/key lock. The only way you would know if the tech 2 could unlock the PCM was to try and flash it with a tech 2. If it was able to unlock the pcm it would then flash what ever file you have loaded onto the PCM. If the tech 2 can't unlock it then it would report a flashing error.
THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR »

I haven't flashed it yet with my tech 2, only went into the sps to get the data(my tech2 clone won't do pass through I've found, but will accept a tune to flash in on it's own). I don't have the numbers off the PCM in front of me, but it was out of an 01 S10 and wasn't supposed to have been locked according to the guy I bought it from. I got it, full flashed it from an 01 S10 to an 02 express van for my l31 tahoe. I've double checked in efilive and there is no security changes in it. I'm going to try full flashing it with my tech 2 to a virgin 02 express file, then see if I can read it out with pcmhammer and my SX cable. It will be a few days before I can do so unfortunately.

I was pretty good at diesel tuning, but getting into this project is all new territory for me. Here recently I've had request's for 0411 tuning, but the $125 vin license fee is quite the deterrent when you're dealing with nearly 20 year old cars.
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Post by Wade »

anyone know anything about this bin its 1271001
Attachments
tuner locked ls1 tune.bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Yortt

Post by Yortt »

Wade wrote:anyone know anything about this bin its 1271001
It is a HP Tuners custom operating system , 1 bar, mafless.
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Post by Wade »

Cheers mate
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Release 6 is out: https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/ ... 9.06.22.01

There's now a "Write OS and Calibration" button that replaces everything but the parameter blocks, which is useful if you want to update the operating system in your vehicle. Leaving the parameter blocks unchanged means the PCM will still be recognized by the other devices in your car.

If you want to replace your PCM, do a full read from the current/old PCM, then "Write OS and Calibration" then "Write Parameters (Clone)" to the new PCM. The entire flash memory of the new PCM will then be completely identical to that of the old PCM.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Wow that's great well done to all