PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by DavidBraley »

OK, this is the error message I get in TunerPro RT when trying to use the "512Kb PCM OS Checksum Plugin.dll" from the Github repository:

"E:\Users\David Braley\Documents\TunerPro Files\Plugins\512kb OS PCM Checksum Plugin.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f."

And this is the error message I get when trying to use the 2088 XFD from the repository (the error is the same even with the checksum plugin I am using from the gearhead-efi site):

"Failed to load C:\Users\David Braley\Desktop\XDF for OS 12202088 - 2001 512kb PCM - unlocked.xdf Unrecognized encoding (parser does not support UTF-8 language encodings)"

I have tested two XDF's with complete success using the plugin "512Kb OS PCM Checksum Plugin.dll" and XDF's from the gearhead-efi site. They are:

"XDF for Operating System 12202088 - 2001 512Kb PCM - Version 5.xdf"

and

"XDF for Operating System 12208322 - 2001 512Kb PCM - Version 5.xdf"

It is interesting to note that the file size for the "512Kb PCM OS Checksum Plugin.dll" on the Github repository site is 64.3kb, and the "512Kb PCM OS Checksum Plugin.dll" on the Gearhead-EFI site is 8.7kb in size.

I hope this is of some help. I would really like to know if anyone else is having success with the 2088 and 8322 XDF's and "512Kb PCM OS Checksum Plugin.dll" from the Github repository. It's possible I have something misconfigured on my end with the latest version of TunerPro Rt. I run TunerPro on an updated Windows 10 computer if that helps any.

Anywho, thanks and take care!

David
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

You might need to install this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5555
That plugin was built with visual C 2010, and when I released it so was tunerpro which provided the needed DLLs. Tunerpro has now updated so it doesnt include the same runtimes. Im not sure why there is 2 versions of it, but I probably made more than one release at different times.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
brandonwh64
cars: building a 1965 F100 with a 5.3L LS

Post by brandonwh64 »

brandonwh64 wrote:I am going to beta test this on a 4896....
UCMatt wrote:I tested this on an 896 this morning and it worked beautifully for a VATS delete.
Awesome work guys!

YESS!!!!!! Thank you!!! I cannot wait until my parts come in for my test bench!! this is amazing work all around!!
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

antus wrote:You might need to install this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5555
That plugin was built with visual C 2010, and when I released it so was tunerpro which provided the needed DLLs. Tunerpro has now updated so it doesnt include the same runtimes. Im not sure why there is 2 versions of it, but I probably made more than one release at different times.
Wow! I actually understood what you said. That surprised me because my knowledge of software and the creation of it is truly dismal.

Do you think it would be ok for me to run the earlier plugin and XDF's that you can find on the Gearhead-EFI site? So far they seem to be working great. I think the version (5) of those XDF's I use were released in Jan, 2017. Or maybe what I should ask is, do the XDF's on the Github repository have more features? I was trying to answer that question myself when I ran into troubles.

I only ask because I'm reading chatter on the interwebs that installing the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)" is problamatic for Windows 10. The later versions of the redistributable don't seem to be a problem. This only worries me because I rarely use Windows and I'm not that familiar with it. My desktop has been Linux since 1995. I cut my teeth on Slackware 3.XX something or other. I am an Ubuntu fan boy now... I boot to Windows for things like doing my taxes and now to run the most amazing PCMHammer!

If the features or capability of the XDF's on the Github repository are better, I will try what you suggest. Because I have zero software development tools installed on my Windows 10 partition, I'm thinking that it might install without any issues (nothing to conflict with, if that made any sense).

Sorry if all of this seems like I'm a little high-maintenance...

Take care!

David
-David

antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I develop on win 10. All this software including the older stuff is working fine. The runtimes are just some microsoft dll files and those ones are 32bit whereas win 10 is 64 bit. Not a problem, tuner pro is 32 bit and 10 is compatible. It'll work. But maybe i should compile the update to the plugin on vc 2017.....
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
brandonwh64
cars: building a 1965 F100 with a 5.3L LS

Post by brandonwh64 »

antus wrote:I develop on win 10. All this software including the older stuff is working fine. The runtimes are just some microsoft dll files and those ones are 32bit whereas win 10 is 64 bit. Not a problem, tuner pro is 32 bit and 10 is compatible. It'll work. But maybe i should compile the update to the plugin on vc 2017.....
I have windows 10 latest build and it works great with the gearhead XDF and DLL for me.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

antus wrote:I develop on win 10. All this software including the older stuff is working fine. The runtimes are just some microsoft dll files and those ones are 32bit whereas win 10 is 64 bit. Not a problem, tuner pro is 32 bit and 10 is compatible. It'll work. But maybe i should compile the update to the plugin on vc 2017.....
All sounds good. I had to laugh out loud because it's actually a good thing I had trouble with the plugin. I have a laptop here that has Windows 10 on it (belongs to the wife). It occurred to me that if I get her laptop running with your plugin, I can compare the two XDF's side by side between the laptop and my desktop much easier. Which is what I originally wanted to do! :lol:

I will report back with my findings if the XDF's are different and how.

Take care all!

David
-David

antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

If you have the screen realestate on one pc you can, in tunerpro, go Tools->custom Tools->New TunerPro Instance and get 2 copies side by side.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

antus wrote:If you have the screen realestate on one pc you can, in tunerpro, go Tools->custom Tools->New TunerPro Instance and get 2 copies side by side.
Now that is a nice feature. I'm going to write that down in my notebook...

Thanks for sharing that!
-David

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

antus wrote:Yeah the XDFs are a bit of a mixed bag, dont as of yet assume they all work or work well. I know Dimented's XDF for the '2008 OS are good, some otherws will be, some may not be. I've just updated my checksum plugin to support 1 Mbyte PCMs (someone started copying the plugin around without the readme.txt on the American sites so most people dont know where it came from). Once that's been been tested we'll look to using it with newer OSs where required, and it'll still work with the old. Note that its only needed for code patches, and so far Im not aware any code patches have been created outside of the commercial products. I have seen a lean cruise enable patch for one of the 1Mbyte OS but when I checked it was a calibration patch, not OS, so the plugin was still not required.

Most the XDFs which use the plugin were written without the authors realising they could have used tunerpro's built in sum functionality and set it to the default TP plugin with 16 bit data, 16 bit store, 2's compliment type. Over time we and anyone who understands the XDFs should be able to start validating what exists and improving the quality. We'll also tidy up our repo and let the world know when particular XDFs are ready for users.
Antus,
Are you going to put the updated TP plugin on github? I have a newer version of the 12587603 I want to test it on. I was never able to get the checksums to calculate properly using the default plugin but likely I was just doing something wrong. Its been on the back burner for about 6 months but I'm back at it now along with another 512k def for NSFW.

I have a bench top setup, a bunch of 0411's and an avt852 so I will be testing the tool this weekend! Are there any other adapters you guys need tested?