PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by NSFW »

Do we know for sure who created those COS files?

I mean, if the guy at Gearhead-EFI created those himself, then that's fantastic.

But, if those were just ripped off from HP Tuners or EFI Live... then please don't use PCM Hammer to flash them. That would not be cool.

I honestly have no idea what the deal is with those files, it just makes me a kinda nervous that this popped up out of nowhere.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I believe they are just XDFs and they do suit one of the commercial products. You need the bin files and a license for them, and we cant distribute the bins. I'd be keen for anyone with the skills to make equivalent bin files for the major OSs and release those as a free option. I think that and OS write support are the only gaps in functionality now. I dont think either will be terribly hard to solve from here either. We're getting there!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Yeah, I think you're right. He's just posting XDFs, so presumably the bins are already being passed around. That sure didn't take long.

OS write support would take very little work, I'd just like more confirmation that calibration reflashing works reliably first.

I was already anticipating working on a speed-density patch so that'll happen for sure. But 3-bar MAP is not on my to-do list, because I plan to keep my car naturally aspirated... But I can help out if anybody wants to work on it.

I have been looking forward to getting a XDF for my car's OS so that I can write a tool to generate an IDC script from it, and now that I have that XDF, I need to get to work on that tool. :) It'll work with any OS, so it should be pretty helpful to anyone else who wants to get started with OS hacking, and who has a copy of IDA Pro (which is almost a required tool).
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

You can do speed density and 2 or 3 bar on a stock OS. But hptuners afaik dont include the settings you need. Efi live do. The problem (i think) is that the maf error dtc disables traction controll when its active so the cos stops the maf fail check from disabling that feature. Map is allready there, as is its scaler for sensor range. I recall jayme was running sd on his vy commodore with stock os, maybe he can advise?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah I ran mafless in my VY for years on a stock 5074 o/s. its the best for it as the MAP tables have better resolution that the older os's, and you can flash early VT and VX with the 5074 o/s and they work fine.
you just set the MAF error codes to not throw a check engine light lower the maf fail hz so it throws the DTC straight away and uses the MAP sensor tables. Then copy the high octane spark map the the low octane spark map, as the stock o/s when in MAP sensor failback mode is locked to the low octane spark map. other than that its practically the same as running the custom o/s, just tune fuel with the VE tables and spark with the low octane spark table.
ive done loads of mafless VT/VX/VY this way with tunercats and all made good power and you couldnt tell any difference from the ones that paid hundreds of $$$ for a custom o/s license. the high low octane spark map is only for leaning and remembering when the knock sensor goes off. if you tune the spark properly its not even required, not to mention if the knock sensor goes off it still pulls timing, it just doesnt learn from it for next time. not sure about the traciton control stuff as I turned all that shit off anyways haha.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

NSFW wrote: If you run it while connected to the internet, it will check github for a new release. Ordinarily it will just say "Thank you for using PCM Hammer" when it starts up, but when have a new release that will change to something like "Hey, we have a new release!"
Round 2 ... Please consider in my words that I am a very very (extremely) passionate person and it's hard for me to hold back my uneducated point blank no PC style of speaking!
I intend to offend no one ... Very much the opposite.

Can we please remove the Automatic nature of the Update check and make it user choice.

Having an Automatic update check turns PcmH into a Phone Home app (ie Spyware), even if that is not the intentions, it is what it is.
You all may not collect the stats, Github does and that is where it Phones Home. A 'do nothing' getting paid! Grrrr.

Am I also understanding that a brag screen has been added to start up?
Why make users wait even a nano second for something they already know.

Thank you for your awesome work.

My presence and goals here are purely to support this project, I have no need for it, I own nothing that could make use of it.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

It's on a background thread, so it doesn't delay initialization. In fact the message doesn't get printed until after the obd2 device is initialized, at least for me.

Being open source, you can fork it and remove that feature of you want. Just don't distribute the kernel bin files. You can get those from the existing releases, and use them with your forked build, just don't put them up for download until they go open source.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

NSFW wrote:It's on a background thread, so it doesn't delay initialization. In fact the message doesn't get printed until after the obd2 device is initialized, at least for me.
And that makes a difference ...
NSFW wrote:Being open source, you can fork it and remove that feature of you want. Just don't distribute the kernel bin files. You can get those from the existing releases, and use them with your forked build, just don't put them up for download until they go open source.
Now why would I do that, I'm trying to help you make your product better ...

I'll say it again, I have no use for it!
I'm here for the project, if y'all don't want to take my suggestions that's y'all's prerogative.

Differences of opinions can stifle or promote growth ... It's how those differences are received that makes the difference.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Windsma
cars: 67 Camaro

Post by Windsma »

Im now 6 days into this world. My brain will “brick” soon.
Ive ran down the rabbit hole and modified my read .bin on my P01 to completely support a “hot rod” swap. (My 67 camaro)
Goal 1 reached
Turbo application is goal 2

Let me know if you want me to test COS1 or COS3 or are you saying the different OS wont write under protection. I’ll be glad to brick this thing to contribute in any way.
darkhorizon
cars: 1988 Pontiac Fiero

Post by darkhorizon »

Not to discourage the COS adventure Windsma, but I really really prefer MAF on all of the turbo LS i work on in the 3 digit power range on a 0411.

NSFW/Antus, how do you feel about me assembling a little "LS tuning zip file" that includes tunerpro, LDT's definitions, and the current PCMHammer release? Would this violate any TunerPro licence agreements? Kernel? Would obviously be waiting a few more version for full write and some more testing to be done, but I'm just brainstorming a bit.