USB BDM NT

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Re: USB BDM NT

Post by DavidBraley »

Gampy has pretty much answered all your questions, but my OCD needs to add just one more thing about voltage to WPP:
In-Tech wrote:Connect WPP to 12V with 100ohm resitor. Make sure WPP is > 11.4V when power on.
Make sure you also apply less than 12.6V to WPP pin 1 on the Intel Flash (what the Intel datasheet calls VPP)

This is not the voltage level used when powering up the PCM. You can use the same supply for both, just make sure the voltage to pin WPP is between 11.4V and 12.6V. This is directly from the datasheet on the Intel flash chip.

What I did is use a bench-top power supply set to 13V to power the PCM for both battery source and switched ignition source. Rather then use a 100 ohm resistor from that 13V main supply to WPP, I used a 200 ohm pot to trim the actual needed resistance to achieve something between 11.4V and 12.6V to pin WPP. I set mine to feed the Intel flash pin 1 (WPP) to 12V. I have a volt meter display for both main supply voltage and WPP voltage on my bench programming harness.

And most importantly!!!!! DO NOT put any kind of voltage to pin 1 on any of the AMD flash chips!!! They do not need it. Damage to the flash will occur if you do...
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

O-yea, Thanks David!

I will NOT admit that my voltages are NOT within that range ... :roll:

Don't do as I do, do as David says! :)
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Ya, I get a little weird about being within spec. It's probably because I suck at electronics. I've let the smoke out of so many good parts over the years...

If is seemed at all confusing in my post before this one, treat WPP (what the BDM community talks about) and VPP (what the Intel datasheet talks about) as the same pin. It's always pin 1 on the sop-44 pin Intel 28F400 family of flash chips.
-David

Gampy

Post by Gampy »

DavidBraley wrote:treat WPP (what the BDM community talks about) and VPP (what the Intel datasheet talks about) as the same pin.
Oooo, Thank you, never caught that ... I must be slacking!

Yea, I've taught an item or two to smoke as well ... Pretty sure it's inherent in the field.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

DavidBraley wrote:Ya, I get a little weird about being within spec. It's probably because I suck at electronics. I've let the smoke out of so many good parts over the years...

If is seemed at all confusing in my post before this one, treat WPP (what the BDM community talks about) and VPP (what the Intel datasheet talks about) as the same pin. It's always pin 1 on the sop-44 pin Intel 28F400 family of flash chips.
>>>David wrote:
>>>And most importantly!!!!! DO NOT put any kind of voltage to pin 1 on any of the AMD flash chips!!! They do not need it. Damage to the flash will occur if you do...

This dead p59 I have here is the AM29F800BB-70. So I don't need to worry about feeding it anything other than the original bdm pins? Only Intel's need the voltage kick? If true, wow, I was about to make smoke city.

While I have everyone's attention. I have a small amount of new stock of the above AMG chips, will those go in place of the Intel if I ever needed to change the flash chip on board? Is it only the 2003's that have the Intel?

Thanks everyone so much for all the help.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

In-Tech wrote:This dead p59 I have here is the AM29F800BB-70. So I don't need to worry about feeding it anything other than the original bdm pins?
True.
In-Tech wrote:Only Intel's need the voltage kick?
True.
In-Tech wrote:I have a small amount of new stock of the above AMG chips, will those go in place of the Intel if I ever needed to change the flash chip on board?
I assume that should be AMD, and I do not know for a FACT, but I would assume yes!
One way to find out ... :mrgreen:
Or smartly, :study: the datasheets ...
In-Tech wrote:Is it only the 2003's that have the Intel?
That would be Intel 1m, True as far as I know so far ...

DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

In-Tech wrote:This dead p59 I have here is the AM29F800BB-70. So I don't need to worry about feeding it anything other than the original bdm pins? Only Intel's need the voltage kick? If true, wow, I was about to make smoke city.

While I have everyone's attention. I have a small amount of new stock of the above AMG chips, will those go in place of the Intel if I ever needed to change the flash chip on board? Is it only the 2003's that have the Intel?

Thanks everyone so much for all the help.
Correct, no need for the extra voltage to program the AMD flash memory on the P59. And it's my understanding that the 2003 P59 had the 1 meg Intel flash. It was probably some kind of transition year maybe. It's as easy as opening one up to make sure. Highly recommended! :thumbup:

It's my understanding that you can use a new AMD Flash chip to replace a bad one on a main board as long as the part numbers are exact. I can't remember for sure, but I think the "BB" in the part you mention above is for extended temp use which make sense if it's used in a vehicles engine bay. The AMD datasheet will show all of the possible part numbers and their recommended use.

I know you don't ask this, but the AMD chips can not be put on a PCM that originally had the Intel. The main boards are ever so slightly different. Just in case anyone was curious. I still need to get some high resolution photos posted of what I'm talking about...

EDIT: You beat me to it Gampy! :thumbup:
-David

In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hi guys,
Yes, I would like to see the pics just to satisfy curiosity.

It's been a while since I looked at the datasheets but from memory one of the B's in the suffix means it reads from the bottom of the flash and you don't want to mix that up.

Thanks again
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

The AMD chip is a: Am29F800B
Then the modifiers ...
The Second B is the Bottom Boot modifier.

The fitment will be the same, the pinout is the question ... Easy enough to find out, side by side both data sheets and check the pinouts.

DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

In-Tech,

You are correct about the "B"

Now you've got me curious! So I pulled out one the 10 spare AMD 1 Meg flash chips I have here: AM29F800BB-70SE

According to the datasheet, it's the "E" that lets you know you have a extended temp part. I was very careful when ordering mine to get that.

From the datasheet:
flash.jpg
flash.jpg (76.99 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
-David