USB BDM NT

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: USB BDM NT

Post by Gampy »

I edited my post here to include a couple screenshots of the USB BDM NT Nor Flash dialog showing both Intel and AMD 1m setup.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

Gampy wrote:I edited my post here to include a couple screenshots of the USB BDM NT Nor Flash dialog showing both Intel and AMD 1m setup.
Now that was awesome. Helpful to me only because I was never fully sure I had configured the tool correctly. 8-)
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Yes, thank you. I should be doing this in a few hours.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

For the life of me I cannot get BDM to work on my 1m Intel now, I have recovered this same unit several times already.
Same setup ...

So, I checked and adjusted my WPP(VPP) voltage, it was 13.2, I have now tried from 11.6 to 12.6, it's currently 12.3. NO CHANGE whatsoever ...

It does corrupt the PCM, recovery is a matter of writing the original back.

It is partially writing, it appears to not be erasing, then trying to write over ... I believe this is a situation that can actually destroy the chip.

I have tried just erasing, it does not appear to erase!
At least it doesn't do the same thing as happens on a AMD, on the AMD, I can erase, then Read and in the Code tab it shows all F's. Not so with the Intel 1m.

Ok, the chip went flake because I have been BDM programming it at 13+ volts ...
Nope, PcmHammer Clones it PERFECT! I have changed OS in PcmHammer, then read that Os with BDM ...
So the chip appears to be fine!

So I tried on a AMD 1m, worked perfect.

Baffled!

Sorry for the vent folx!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Gampy,

I could be wrong, but would the problem be in the image you posted before that I put a red circle on? The part that is being modeled is a 512K and not 1M? I remember choosing a 1M Intel part before...
USB_BDM_NT_NorFlash_Config_Intel-AB28F800B5-B.jpg
USB_BDM_NT_NorFlash_Config_Intel-AB28F800B5-B.jpg (30.36 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
-David

Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Naw, they are the same except the size and the count of 0x20000 sectors.
I just selected it to start with so I didn't have to type everything in ... You can create it from scratch if you choose.

Have a look see in: %APPDATA%\usbjtag\config\norflash.xml

It is now completely dead, we had a bit of an emergency and I left the bench in a hurry while it was trying to write, got back about 20 minutes later and found it dead ... I guess it didn't like being left that long.
The voltage was 12.3 on WPP(VPP) when I hooked it up before I left.

O-wells, everyone is alright and that's the important part.

Thank you David.

For educational purposes ...
.. ID1 & ID2 Id the Chip.
.. Name is just a name for this Configuration and must be unique.
.. Size is the Chip size.
.. Type is the Protocol it uses to communicate with the chip, this is secret internals to the software.
.. Number of Sector & Sector Size are the layout according to the Datasheet.

DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Good to hear everyone is alright!!!!

I was only guessing at the chip name thing. You would know more than I would. I will try and find some time to see what mine is configured for. It seems to work. And now that I have the OBDX Pro VT, I can compare the bin with what PCM Hammer reads. :roll:

I personally think the 2003 P59s with the Intel flash are not worth anything to me. I'm sorry I bought one. I could be wrong again, but I don't think there is an XDF for the OS in them (I think the one I have here is 12579405). The 2004 P59 with the 12587603 OS is presently better supported. Too bad you can't flash a 2003 Intel flash P59 with something from the 2004 AMD flash P59 with OS 12587603...
-David

Gampy

Post by Gampy »

You can flash Os 12587603 onto a Intel based P59 NO problemo ...

What you cannot do is flash an Intel only Os like 12579405 on a AMD chipped unit.

Os 12587603 goes both ways ... Has both Intel and AMD flash code.
Os 12579405 has only Intel flash code.

DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Gampy wrote:You can flash Os 12587603 onto a Intel based P59 NO problemo ...
Well that is good news! Thank You! I was sure I read somewhere you couldn't do something like that. :roll:

After I compare the PCM Hammer bin read to the BDM bin read on the 2003 Intel flash P59, I will flash this thing with a bin that has OS 12587603. Then read the bin again with the BDM and PCM Hammer and compare.
-David

Gampy

Post by Gampy »

David,

Being that you are Bench Flashing, do that, Write Os 12587603 using PcmHammer on the Intel based unit, first 'Write OS & Calibration' and follow that with 'Write Parameters (Clone)' and that will write the entire chip (bin).
Those steps will be combined in the next PcmH version I hope.

After 'Write Parameters (Clone)' is done, DISCONNECT the battery ... Do not turn off the ignition!
(I always do this on my bench test units anyways, keeps them matching)
If you turn off the ignition first it will write to the Parameter sector and cause a mismatch.

Then BDM Read it, and compare ... They should be identical.

[edit]
I like to use the usbjtag software to compare, it does a byte for byte comparison.
The down size, it just shows the first fail ... In reality, that is all that matters!

A test to verify that Os 12587603 does in fact work on the Intel unit (other than running it in a vehicle) would be to do a VIN change.
Change the VIN, turn off Ignition (DO NOT disconnect battery power), wait a minute or two, turn Ignition back on and verify VIN change stuck.
The VIN change is written to flash on Ignition off ...