USB BDM NT

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Re: USB BDM NT

Post by bubba2533 »

LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

bubba2533 wrote:Not sure if this will help

https://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=9560
Yes, I have read that thread. The .xml file that the developer created (T59.zip) does not work on any of the 1meg pcm's I have here. Have you gotten it to work? I guess I'm not understanding something...

I did download his disassembler, and I will try and have a look. I'm in way over my head now! LOL!
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

I've been hesitant to test it. Also, I wanted to modify a parameter I could read in HPTuners so I was certain that it worked. But I don't have an xdf for my PCM (I'm not sure one exists), so I wasn't sure what part of the bin to modify.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

bubba2533 wrote:I've been hesitant to test it. Also, I wanted to modify a parameter I could read in HPTuners so I was certain that it worked. But I don't have an xdf for my PCM (I'm not sure one exists), so I wasn't sure what part of the bin to modify.
I'm guessing you have a V-6 bin?

I will try and read the two V-8 1meg P59's I have here with both the TECU4111M.xml and T59.xml files and then do a compare to see if at least the bin files are the same. One P59 uses the Intel Flash, the other P59 uses the AMD Flash. Neither .xml file will identify the flash chip. PCMHammer does at least read the P59 with the AMD Flash chip, so I can do a compare against that bin file as well.

I will report back in a day or so...
-David

NSFW

Post by NSFW »

<thread-hijack>
Please try using PCM Hammer to read the Intel-based P59 again, and post the debug log in the PCM Hammer thread.

I'd really like to get that to work, but both of the P59s that I'm testing with have AMD chips.
</thread-hijack>

And if you could send me the pin-placement information for your fixture, that would be great too. My 3D printer is busted right now but I hope to fix it some day. Or maybe just replace it. :)
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

NSFW wrote:<thread-hijack>
Please try using PCM Hammer to read the Intel-based P59 again, and post the debug log in the PCM Hammer thread.

I'd really like to get that to work, but both of the P59s that I'm testing with have AMD chips.
</thread-hijack>

And if you could send me the pin-placement information for your fixture, that would be great too. My 3D printer is busted right now but I hope to fix it some day. Or maybe just replace it. :)
Not a problem on both requests! 8-)

I will try to read the P59 with the Intel Flash again with PCMHammer and I will post the results in the PCM Hammer thread.

And, I sent you a zip file earlier today with a cad drawing inside for the pin placement. Check your Pm's...
-David

bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

DavidBraley wrote: I'm guessing you have a V-6 bin?
Yes
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

So I did a read and compare of bin files using the USB BDM NT device on the two 1 meg P59 PCM's I have here. One PCM (6106) uses the Intel Flash AB28F800, and the second PCM (6243) uses the AMD Flash AM29F800BB. I used the 4111M and P59 .xml config files to create two separate bins for each PCM. It seem the P59 .xml file just reads pure junk. The output from using the P59 config file is a repeating string characters. I'm guessing that the P59 .xml file is possibly configured for the 6 cyl S-10 engines that bubba2533 was getting help with on the USB BDM NT forum. I do think that the 4111M .xml config file is reading something close to, or even good data.

So to back up my theory, I decided to compare the two bin files created by both the BDM device (using the 4111M .xml config file) and PCM Hammer. The PCM I read is a year 2004 12586243, with the AMD Flash AB29F800BB. The two bins files are almost identical. Only one small area of difference. No were else in the two bin files are they different:
BinCompare.jpg
BinCompare.jpg (487.92 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
I am unable to compare the bins files for the 1 meg Intel Flash PCM here, just because PCM Hammer will not read it. I am though able to open the 1 meg Intel Flash PCM bin file I created using the BDM device in TunerPro RT. Had a look around and it shows the correct Vin, Engine Type, OS, etc. Not an exhaustive look. But it seems the BDM device is reading something close to good data from the P59 with the Intel Flash.

So what have I learned:

The 4111M .xml config file that comes with the USB BDM NT device is very close to something that will work with the 1 meg P59 PCM's. It seems to read both of the P59 PCM's I have here, but it's still unable to properly identify the flash chips used in each. That means I can't erase or write to either of them. I should make a post on the USB BDM NT forum and see if I can get that solved. I'm guessing it will take two separate .xml config files because of the Intel/AMD flash chip differences in some of these P59's.

I hope in some small way this is helpful! I truly am working in subject matters I'm not very good at. Not yet anyway.

Take care all,

David
-David

antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

one has been reflashed, one has not. Thats a log that an external kernel was executed on it, in the param block. Its not part of the OS or the Calibration, but part of the data specific to that pcm. param blocks are $4000->$5FFF and $6000->$7FFF. On 512k pcms each time persistant data is saved the active block swaps. On 1mbytes I think only one may be used... but more research required at this stage.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Antus,

Help me understand what you are saying. I know that both bins are just a read of the flash contents. The BDM device was used to read the PCM, and then PCM Hammer was used to read the same PCM. I took those two bins and compared them to see what or if there was any difference.

You mention that "one has been reflashed, one has not." I'm confused by that statement. Are you saying that a read of a flash memory changes the contents? Very interesting for sure if that's the case...
-David