ADX and XDF creation help

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Re: ADX and XDF creation help

Post by DavidBraley »

bubba2533,

Absolutely! It looks like Pete's going to beat me to it though... I still want to really understand this, so my efforts will continue! 8-)

Pete! (160plus)

Thank you so much for this amazing work! Anything to help me understand this will be much appreciated. I still haven't gotten anything to work, but I'm sort of past the whole frustration thing and more driven by my love of solving puzzles!

I know I have mentioned this before... I am very interested in this new interface you are working on too. I don't have an actual vehicle to test with (yet) so I'm probably not useful in that way. But please count me in for a purchase when they are available. I'm going to want two of them! I would prefer if possible a couple of analog inputs for wideband logging (another reason I want to understand this ADX stuff). I understand that raises the price, and I'm totally fine with that! I saw you mentioned analog inputs as a possible option in another post, somewhere, maybe it was over on LS1Tech... I'm old, brain doesn't work like it used to. :roll:
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

Well, I am failing at this ADX creation thing spectacularly. I can't get anything to work.

I am sorry. I was hoping this could be a way I could give back to this community. But after almost 60 hours of my free time over the last three weeks, I'm calling it quits and will step aside and let the more competent figure this out.

I understand that the AllPro USB is now dead, but the good news is that others have already created working .adx files for interfaces like the AVT-852, and Pete is getting something going for his new interface (which I will be buying!!!).

You can now picture an old bald headed guy taking a huge bite of humble pie...
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
160plus

Post by 160plus »

DavidBraley wrote:Well, I am failing at this ADX creation thing spectacularly. I can't get anything to work.

I am sorry. I was hoping this could be a way I could give back to this community. But after almost 60 hours of my free time over the last three weeks, I'm calling it quits and will step aside and let the more competent figure this out.

I understand that the AllPro USB is now dead, but the good news is that others have already created working .adx files for interfaces like the AVT-852, and Pete is getting something going for his new interface (which I will be buying!!!).

You can now picture an old bald headed guy taking a huge bite of humble pie...
I'm not on here all that much with everything I've got going on but what was the issue you were running into?

Yes there is a VERY steep learning curve for ADX creation and its very unforgiving of errors but it is manageable and you have semi working examples for a number of interfaces to work from. Getting the tool setup to send pid requests and read replies is the hardest part and that part is working in the ADX's I shared.

One of the things with the Allpro that can be frustrating is its very specif as to how data is entered and how you change headers. The safest best is to always use caps with it, space your message requests between bytes for transmitting and make sure you have spaces turned off for reading data back from the tool. Its a nightmare trying to parse data with a space between bytes.

If the issue is with the conversion of bytes to string format it may be easier to use the Elm327 ADX that already has the table linked and carefully change the setup commands to match the Allpro ADX setup. By the time I had sorted out how to get the Allpro and Obdlink Sx working the byte to string conversion tables in the ADX I started with were badly broken.
kovacevd

Post by kovacevd »

160plus wrote:The Obdlink ADX worked to some degree but if I recall the lookup table needs to be relinked or it might have needed a lookup table added, it's crazy fast when it is working......I want to say it would run around 60hz.

The allpro Adx is based off the Fixed Elm ADX listed here just so you can compare these to each other and see what I did to make it work with the Allpro VS a normal Ebay Elm.

The DVI Dpid is just for reference since only a couple people have one of the DVI Prototypes and I'm not even sure what version of the DVI ADX I was working on last. I sent out all the DVI's I built for testing so I can't even load it and see. But I'm providing it to use as a comparison against this reworked version of the AVT ADX to see the difference in how they are requesting and parsing data. The DVI will send 3 requests total and read a single line back for each request. The AVT Adx is sending one request and reads 3 lines back from the pcm in one shot. While tools like the Allpro are not able to parse data this way it gives you an idea how of how to deal with reading multiple responses while still filtering whats read. There is a 50% difference in the speed when changing the format going from 3 requests to a single request.

The issue your going to have with reading data back from the OBDLink or Allpro is the data is read back in ASCII format and tuner pro is expecting it back in byte format. This is what the lookup tables are for, it converts between byte and ascii format but is a real pain to relink the tables once you break the response format. The Allpro is capable of running dpid like I setup with the Obdlink stuff but it's not going to be nearly as simple to do and won't be as fast. The biggest thing to keep in mind with the Elm stuff is the need for \r on the end of each line you send. You can't set the \r in the ascii table, you will have to do it in the byte section of a TX line for it to work correctly with most tools.

You should be able to get an ADX working after going over these and looking at the differences. You can do this with a PCM on a bench, just use pids you know what to expect from. Coolant temp and air temp will read -40, battery voltage will read your power supply voltage and the 02 sensors will float slightly....they should hover around .450mv and move maybe .008-.010 up or down. If you break out the O2 wires from your connector you can touch the O2 wire with your hand while your hand touches the pcm and you can force the O2 reading to move. Just don't ground the sensor wire itself......touching it with bare skin while being grounded is enough to make it move.

If you need the dpid format changed or different pids used and are not able to figure that out either myself or Tazzi should be able to help you get the pids loaded your looking for.

Be ready to get frustrated, getting Tuner Pro to parse data correctly can be a royal nightmare and even when you'd swear it should be working don't be surprised if its still got an error or not parsing correctly. It has to be like 110% perfect for it to work correctly. I'm pretty sure writing a program to log with from the ground up would be less frustrating than creating an ADX for an Elm type tool in Tuner Pro.

Obdlink STPX Dpid_Unfinished.adx
Allpro Elm Headers working with 3 pids.adx
Fixed_ELM327 V2_20.adx
DVI Dpid V1.2_working.adx
AVT Change DPID format_NowMucFaster.adx

Any chance you can add IAC Counts to the ELM327 V2 adx.

this will help with idle tunning PID is

Fixed_ELM327 V2 not showing any data for me with my OBDlink SX Cable
craign27
cars: lc torana

Post by craign27 »

Can anyone provide information on how the LS1 ADX file equates the MAP value.

In a nut shell I'm trying to log my 2 bar holden setup and if i edit the range on the gauge to 200 when appying pressure to the map sensor it stops at 105 kpa same as what was originally setup in the ADX with gauge max of 105.

If i look at the conversions tab it takes raw value of X.

If i look at the 12p adx files for various bar map sensors it has a different equation for each type of MAP sensor Bar rating.

It does not appear to have an equation problem as only applying slight pressure moves the reading from 101 kpa to 105 kpa and vacuum looks to be working OK, it looks more like a hard set limit somewhere but i can't find it.