WARNING HP Tuners MPV1 DEAD

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
commodorenut
cars: VY Monaro 427ci SuperCharged
VK Group A LS2 671 Supercharged ( in the build )

Re: WARNING HP Tuners MPV1 DEAD

Post by commodorenut »

Yesterday, i was having issues with my MPVI1 and the ford BA Ecu writing,
I was told to download the new VCMSuite 4.4.0 and it updated my Firmware.

Now my unit is junk, Has bricked 3 LS1 ecu's

Software keeps crashing, They want me to upgrade to the MPVI2 now.

Time to get legal advise on this one.

Guy be careful, dont fall in the trap that i did..

#HPTUNERS sucks
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

That's crap news, :thumbdown:

please keep us all up to date with what happens
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
codemanrose
cars: 1992 Corvette
2014 Silverado
2015 Traverse

Post by codemanrose »

Good to know! I will pass updating my version.
I see some people were able to uninstall 4.4 and install older 3.x software and get the device working again. This is from their forums. I am not going to take the risk right now to test.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Surprised a lawsuit hasnt popped up on this.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

They've done nothing wrong, It's perfectly legal to $^#@ over your customers.

The best thing that could happen to them is for the Open Source / Freeware community to get current, unfortunately those that can do it are too greedy.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Gampy wrote:They've done nothing wrong, It's perfectly legal to $^#@ over your customers.

The best thing that could happen to them is for the Open Source / Freeware community to get current, unfortunately those that can do it are too greedy.
Certainly is not legal to do.. at least not here in Australia.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

They are American, it's not illegal in America to rape your customers. It's called Capitalism.
I do believe Australia is also a capitalistic society therefore it's not illegal there either.

Just to make it clear, I am one of those that would give my life to see them squashed. They are greedy thieves selling fun, something I despise.
Not to mention the growing trend of charge by use they follow, pretty soon door knob manufactures are going to be charging you each time you open the door to your house or Snap-on is going to charge you for each vehicle (or bolt) you use a wrench on. A bad trend growing!

It is illegal to INTENTIONALLY damage a customers product (ie: ecu). Proving intent is next to impossible.
Now, If you are capable of disassembling their product and showing code that is there for no other reason then to intentionally damage customers product (ecu) then you have a case.

But to disable their product that they own and are granting you use of is not illegal. (You can thank Microsoft for that)
It's no different then the engineered lifespans most manufactures are following.
Make it die, sell another!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
codemanrose
cars: 1992 Corvette
2014 Silverado
2015 Traverse

Post by codemanrose »

What Gampy said. This is typical for businesses here in the states, especially ones that corner the market as they have no competition. That's why open source community or anything else getting larger could begin to squander them slightly and make them work more towards Customer Support and begin to change their ways as well. Would help more if someone else came in that promised and actually delivered more then they do.

However, even unintentional destruction of hardware can still be fought. Think of it as Microsoft or even car manufactures. If someone/s that have the knowledge and ability to actually prove they did something that broke or cost the consumer more money than what was agreed on they would need to make it right. Not doing so can lead to further legal action. Think of it as a huge software update that broke security settings in MS and caused people to have their passwords, accounts, and other digital items stolen. If they can prove it and show it and it's pretty clear to see then they are now liable. Especially if it was done without your acknowledgement (automatic updates).
Again, same with car manis. Roll out a car and it has huge issue that was actually unintentional. Company doesn't say go buy a new car (I know they would like to). But they are pressured into fixing the problem or else be brought into a legal battle.

IMO in this case though, it's pretty tough as it's not widely know by the general public or actually have more than one person to deconstruct the software and hardware to prove why it broke is very unlikely. So they just take the risk and say screw it. It sucks.

With all that said, I still like their product. I only say that because I have always had great luck with it and the guys there have actually helped me out (one instance building me a specific beta to fix a vin/ecu os issue I was having on my swap). Just like the info on here has helped me fix random issues when other ways have not. But if I was in your shoes my tone would for sure be different. So I can empathize with that.

My solution to this, friendly competition never hurt anyone. Actually makes better products in the long run.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

If theres multiple people having the same issue with the MVP1 bricking/no longer communicating correctly after upgrading, then you would think HPTuners would bring another update to resolve. But I believe the court case in relations to sykd tuning is why they want people on the new hardware. As sykd was allegedly able to generate tokens for software/cable which means all older cables are compromised (I assume?).
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Yes, court records indicate they got hacked.
That's just it, they didn't patch the crack, they forced repurchase.

Monopolies, Collusion are just a couple other trends that are growing. Today, most anything goes when it comes to making a buck. Anything you can get away with.

It's like cheating at the track ... Those that do, say it's not cheating until you get caught and they've never been caught therefore they are not cheaters.
That does not eliminate the fact they are still liars, cheats and a thief's!

Capitalism without morals trumps democracy ... for in a democracy everyone must do their part!
Last edited by Gampy on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.