PCMHAMMER read with pcm in vehicle?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Whyzee

PCMHAMMER read with pcm in vehicle?

Post by Whyzee »

Hey everyone! Just wondering whether it's possible to use PCMHAMMER for calibration changes when the pcm is fitted to the vehicle, or does this need to be done with a bench harness?

Tried to do a read on my VY LS1 and the read fails - also tried on my VX SS and it failed as well. It does however read pcm properties without issue using the obdlink sx. Would bcm chatter be the culprit? I'll make a bench harness if need be.
NSFW

Re: PCMHAMMER read with pcm in vehicle?

Post by NSFW »

I've flashed my PCM in-car about 17 times now, using Release 6, with no trouble. (And it's finally idling properly!)

I haven't done a full read in the car for quite a while but I'll give it another shot to make sure that still works. I might not have time until the weekend though.

How far into the process does it get? Can you post the last 20 lines from the Results tab and the debug tab?
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

BCM chatter shouldnt be relevant as the ls1 is on the VPW bus but i'd be very interested to see the logs as well. my older ls1flash-free tool definitely works on a VY and pcmhammer is heavily based on it, but there are differences too. We should be able to see whats going on and solve it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

The results/debug logs are attached. Took me a while to get back to the car - been a busy few weeks
Attachments
Results vy calais 19092019.txt
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Debug vy calais 19092019.txt
(31.32 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

[10:37:01:859] Sending 'test device present' notification.
[10:37:01:859] TX: 3F
[10:37:03:375] Empty response to message content. That's not OK.
[10:37:03:378] Reading from 0 / 0x0, length 500 / 0x1F4
[10:37:03:379] TX: STPX H:6D10F0, R:1, L:7
[10:37:03:394] Unexpected response to STPX header: STOPPED

The scantool is searching for a response to the tester present frame, thats why it says "STOPPED" since pcmhammer has requested another bit of data before receiving the "No Data" frame back.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

Thanks mate - does that mean there's an issue with the cable? Tbh I'm not all that familiar with the processes.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

No its an issue with the app - the stpx communication protocol with the interface worked for nsfw but needs to be made a bit more robust.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I'll look into it. I've been using a Scantool LX cable on my desk and an AllPro cable in my car, but I should swap those periodically to make sure they both get enough testing in the car.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
kovacevd

Post by kovacevd »

Did you end getting around this Whyzee??
I think I'm suffering the exact same problem.
The allpro adapter isn't available so the next best option was the scantool device so that's what I bought. I was under the impression reading through the forums that the scantool sx was reliable but just slow. I am also doing it in the vehicle. I would like to know if you got this sorted or not.
notime2d8

Post by notime2d8 »

kovacevd wrote:Did you end getting around this Whyzee??
I think I'm suffering the exact same problem.
The allpro adapter isn't available so the next best option was the scantool device so that's what I bought. I was under the impression reading through the forums that the scantool sx was reliable but just slow. I am also doing it in the vehicle. I would like to know if you got this sorted or not.

I got my Scantool SX cable to work but I had to build a bench harness it never worked in my vehicle. I got another PCM plus the plugs for $34 form the junkyard. Then a 14.4v adapter from the thrift store for $2. After that it was just 4 wires to make the bench harness and flash it outside of the car. You can get the plugs for $18 of eBay and maybe you already have a 12-14v adapter? Or an already built flashing adapter can be bought for $50 online.

But i tried removing the red plug, connecting a battery charger, changing the usb settings, upgraded the firmware, and 3 versions of Windows. Bench harness outside the car has worked flawlessly for about 8 times full and partial flashes.