Return-to-idle tuning for a 2002 Corvette

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Ken

Re: Return-to-idle tuning for a 2002 Corvette

Post by Ken »

!000 idle speed was at the request of the owner.
The 1100 rolling idle was one of the attempts at stopping the stalling issue, which had no effect so I left it at that.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

My car idles at 750, and a rolling idle of 1000 helped a bit. It gives more room for error when things go wrong, because being 300 RPM below 1000 is no big deal, but 300 below 750 is almost stalled. So the closer the rolling idle is to the regular idle, the less it would help.

Not sure it's still useful in my case but I'm also not quite confident enough to remove it yet. The car never comes close to dying anymore but it does dip below the target a little more often than I'd like.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Highlander
cars: Z06

Post by Highlander »

Ken wrote:
VK_3800 wrote:How does it behave now, does the rpm hang significantly high or does it drop to a suitable level OK?
Yeah it drops to idle speed in expected decel time, doesn't hang or drop too quickly,even if turning when the clutch is pressed.
I'd played around with settings like "stall saver rpm' "throttle follower" "rolling desired idle speed"and "DFCO" with minimal difference.
In the "throttle crack airflow P/N"setting, originally there was no setting in the 3 kph line, was just zero, and the engine speed dropped to 750 rpm when pulling up, then recovered, then as soon as I added that one extra setting , all idle speed dropping problems were solved.
Before playing with any of the cracker settings, it stalled often, even if changing gears too slow at a slow rpm, or not sliding the clutch enough on take off.
it was only when I opened the edited binary with efilive to double check that the XDF entries I added actually worked that I noticed what the extra info stated in efilive regarding throttle follower, that I found that throttle cracker was also meant to be altered / functioning.

Text at bottom left of this screen below.
Ls1_Idle_Fix_03.PNG
For rolling idle to work, throttle cracker must be active. If TC or TF are active, none of your idle functions will work. You can make the car witch to the idle timing table and put say 8 degrees in the 1200 rpm row and 34 on the 800 and you will have a pseudo idle routine for timing that will be controlled by the ecm's interpolation routine.