Weird issue on 411 PCMs

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
codemanrose
cars: 1992 Corvette
2014 Silverado
2015 Traverse

Weird issue on 411 PCMs

Post by codemanrose »

Hey guys. Been lurking on the forums here for a while. Thought I would jump in and learn a bit more.

So I ran into my first road block last night. I have read/wrote a few of the 896 PCMs as I have used them for my own swaps in the past. I was able to grab a few 411's recently to play around with them more.

So I read my first one using PCM Hammer, modified the bin in TunerPro with known good xdf files for the 322 OS (and 088) and wrote entire OS and Cal back using PCM Hammer again. Successful. I like to verify changes with HPT. All was good here.

I then did another one. Same exact thing, read, modify bin, write. Only thing different was in TunerPro. Instead of 4l60e setting I set to non-elec auto. But everything else was the same. After write is says it completed successfully. I try and read in HPT and fails with "data protocol failed". So I decided to read properties in PCM Hammer. I get an error of - Vin query: Timeout.
I unplug, replug in, etc. So I decided to try a different PCM incase it was a fluke. Again, read, modify, write. Same exact thing on that one too. Same OS as the others (322). So kind of nervous to try another. I think I may have to open this up and jump it, but want to see what you guys think is going on. The PCM sticks with a solid 12.4 volts on my bench harness. I know 13+ is key but I have done a few of my own 896's and have had no issues.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions. Thanks!
codemanrose
2014 Silverado
2015 Traverse

Re: Weird issue on 411 PCMs

Post by codemanrose »

Tried jumping ground to unlock. Same thing. Tried LS Droid and get: No Data.

Plug in know working 411 PCM (even one I flashed earlier that night) and it reads. So I must have bricked it bad when I did the write using PCM Hammer some how. Not sure how as 1 of 3 was successful.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

My only guess is that the bin file you used might have been corrupted somehow. When PCM Hammer verifies the write, it is confirming that what's in the PCM flash memory matches what's in the file. But it has no way of knowing whether the file contains good data or bad.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
codemanrose
2014 Silverado
2015 Traverse

Post by codemanrose »

Good to know! Thanks!
Just throwing this out there. I just tried another one with success, however I selected 4l60e in tunerpro using the same xdf as all the rest. The ones that failed had selected "non-elec auto trans". So could something like that make it corrupt if the xdf could possibly be bad?
It was just a thought I had.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

If the xdf is bad it could definitely be changing the wrong part of the bin and corrupt it.
The rest of the XDF might be ok it might be just that one setting
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
codemanrose
2014 Silverado
2015 Traverse

Post by codemanrose »

From what I see now that seems to be it. Engine, Trans, and cylinders in the XDF clearly say "should not be changed". This is fairly new to me. Learning as I go. Of course the XDFs I have for my 896's work fine. I need to open up my eyes more.
THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR »

My understanding is the trans selection table is there, but should not be used. It's there so you can see what the tune is setup for, but nothing more. Changing the trans type requires a segment swap, not just a flag change. If you change the trans type using tunerpro, it will corrupt the .bin. The next time I can get my bench setup out I plan on flashing a non electronic trans file out of an 02 8.1l 6500 truck.
cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Is the XDF you have for those OS' locked? I can check the memory locations on those settings if you like.