GitHub repo for XDFs

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Re: GitHub repo for XDFs

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

With all the discussion of the various PCMs used, I thought this info might help:

https://www.lsenginediy.com/comparing-g ... ntrollers/

http://www.chevythunder.com/LS1%20compo ... tification

https://www.chevythunder.com/gen_iv_ecm ... cation.htm

Hope this helps.

Mike
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

NSFW,

I have a 2003 P59 PCM here with service #12576106, hardware #12570558 (drive by cable) that has the Intel AB28F800 flash chip in it. PCM Hammer will not read it. The BDM can read it, but there is no proper BDM config file (.xml) for writing to it. I'm happy to send it to you if it helps.

It's my understanding (I'm not 100% sure on this) that the 1 meg Intel chips only show up in the 2003 P59's.

There is another 2003 P59 with service #12581565, hardware #12575502 (drive by cable) that I read somewhere it has the Intel chip as well, but I don't physically have one. It's in my research notes though.

Let me know if you want the PCM I mention at the top of this message. I've completely disassembled it and deep cleaned it before re-assembly. I do not think it's dead either. The BDM will read it. Just can't write to it without a proper config file.
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Gampy wrote:I cannot imagine (don't know for sure) that an OS from a Intel Flash unit will work on a unit that has AMD Flash ...
Peeked into another Os, this time 12579405, an Os from a 1m Intel chipped unit.
And as expected no Amd code as it is prior to the appearance of the Amd chips.
ShorTuning wrote:I literally just gave you that information above with all the hardware and service numbers. Green means it has IAC/AC hardware. Unfortunately the hardware/service numbers are not stored in the bin file either so unless you can verify the PCM is virgin you pull tune files from you'll not have that information.
That list is incomplete, erroneous and in my opinion woefully lacking in detail.

The Hardware Number is embedded in the bin, the Service Number is not.
The following is whats easy to glean from a bin that describes it:
  • Hardware Number
  • Operating System Number (OsID)
  • Broadcast Code
  • Calibration Number
  • System Calibration Number
  • Engine Calibration Number
  • Engine Diagnostics Number
  • Transmission Calibration Number
  • Transmission Diagnostics Number
  • Fuel System Calibration Number
  • Speedometer Calibration Number
  • Serial Number
  • Vehicle Identification Number
I do have some ideas for some other bits, just haven't set down to it yet.

Personally, If I do not know the information about a bin or even wonder about it's accuracy, I do not want it!
What I am interested in is purely Manufacture originals ... I have no desires to be involved in a repository of "Tunes" by every Tom Dick and Harry tweeking fuel trims et al a point or two and calling it their tune.
DavidBraley wrote:There is another 2003 P59 with service #12581565, hardware #12575502 (drive by cable) that I read somewhere it has the Intel chip as well, but I don't physically have one. It's in my research notes though.
I can confirm that hardware number does in fact describe a 1m Intel chipped unit.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
ShorTuning
cars: 2002 Camaro
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

NSFW wrote:
ShorTuning wrote:I would like to think that people that would be using this information would have enough knowledge to know what file will work with what. Especially they should know what hardware they have and what capabilities it has.
Dude I wrote most of this software and I'm not entirely clear on this stuff. :)

Based on that chart it sounds like you're saying there's effectively 3 kinds of hardware that people need to be aware of:

1) P01 - all are usable with DBW or DBC
2) P59 without IAC - usable only for DBW
3) P59 with IAC - usable for DBW or DBC

Related question - do you know whether there's a hardware number that indicates a P59 with an Intel flash chip? I'd like to experiment on one of those before I take another shot at AMD, but I'm not sure how to identify one without opening it up.
Yes you are correct. I have flashed all different tune files in all different P59's and not had any issues. The PCM listed above by DavidBraley I have not added to my list. I actually ran across one and hadn't had a chance to mess around with it to see what it did and didn't have.
ShorTuning
cars: 2002 Camaro
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

Gampy wrote:
ShorTuning wrote:I literally just gave you that information above with all the hardware and service numbers. Green means it has IAC/AC hardware. Unfortunately the hardware/service numbers are not stored in the bin file either so unless you can verify the PCM is virgin you pull tune files from you'll not have that information.
That list is incomplete, erroneous and in my opinion woefully lacking in detail.

The Hardware Number is embedded in the bin, the Service Number is not.
The following is whats easy to glean from a bin that describes it:
  • Hardware Number
  • Operating System Number (OsID)
  • Broadcast Code
  • Calibration Number
  • System Calibration Number
  • Engine Calibration Number
  • Engine Diagnostics Number
  • Transmission Calibration Number
  • Transmission Diagnostics Number
  • Fuel System Calibration Number
  • Speedometer Calibration Number
  • Serial Number
  • Vehicle Identification Number
I do have some ideas for some other bits, just haven't set down to it yet.

Personally, If I do not know the information about a bin or even wonder about it's accuracy, I do not want it!
What I am interested in is purely Manufacture originals ... I have no desires to be involved in a repository of "Tunes" by every Tom Dick and Harry tweeking fuel trims et al a point or two and calling it their tune.
The list is basic because that's all it needs to be. I know all of the information you listed is in the binary. If that is information you need listed out for a binary then more power to ya. It'll be a paragraph long file name lol.
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Can someone tell me if the XDF for a given OS, such as '2088, will work for BOTH the V6 AND the V8 Vortec engines!
I have 2 '0411 PCM's out of V6 S/T SUV applications.

Thanks,

Mike
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It'll work for the any bin with the operating system id (OSID) 12202088. V6 and V8 isnt relevant to the OSID.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Thanks Antus.
That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

Mike
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

ShorTuning wrote:I have flashed all different tune files in all different P59's and not had any issues.
So you have flashed OsID 12579405 on one of the following Hardware ID's, No issues, meaning the Os was happy??
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

A good test would be something like a vin change. The flash tool kernel should handle both chips at os write time, typically, but the question is if an intel os can update the paramater block on an amd flash chip with the factory reflash code when it needs too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396