GitHub repo for XDFs

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

GitHub repo for XDFs

Post by NSFW »

EDIT: The repo is open! Click here ===> https://github.com/BoredTruckOwner/LS_B ... Repository

--

I just got a PM from a guy who wants to know what he needs to get started, and I basically told him to use Google to find .bin and .xdf files...

That does work, but it leaves much to be desired.

I was really hoping that by now someone would have stepped up to collect the various XDFs and .bin files that are circulating on various web sites and forums... but I guess I have to beg. :) It would be great to have all that stuff in a single place, with version control, because the XDFs are probably going to get extended over time.

Anybody want to take this job on?

I'm picturing top-level directories with the PCM codenames, like "P01" and "P59", with subdirectories for each operating system, and each OS directory would contain any XDF files that exist for that OS. And maybe a .bin file. (Maybe different .bin files for different transmission types?) And eventually some data-logging files too, assuming I can get my data-logging app to work more reliably.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Re: GitHub repo for XDFs

Post by Gampy »

Please please use the Hardware ID and not P01/P59, the hardware ID is what defines the actual hardware and there are multiple Hardware ID's for each P01/P59.
It's just much clearer ... Maybe not what the norm is at this current state but will become more relevant the deeper things get.

Beside, does anyone know what P01/P59 even stands for?
I've asked, no one seems to know.

Maybe Hardware ID noted with (P01) or (P59) if that's what pleases everyone.
12583659 (P59)

I believe the Service ID is a blanket ID for the combination of Hardware/OS/Calibration and really is kinda pointless from a hackers point of view, hardware and software capabilities are more important.
Calibrations are going to run wild ... Describing calibrations could get rather windy!

I picture something like:
HardwareID
..OsID
....Xdf
....Bin
Last edited by Gampy on Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

NSFW wrote:I just got a PM from a guy who wants to know what he needs to get started, and I basically told him to use Google to find .bin and .xdf files...

That does work, but it leaves much to be desired.

I was really hoping that by now someone would have stepped up to collect the various XDFs and .bin files that are circulating on various web sites and forums... but I guess I have to beg. :) It would be great to have all that stuff in a single place, with version control, because the XDFs are probably going to get extended over time.

Anybody want to take this job on?

I'm picturing top-level directories with the PCM codenames, like "P01" and "P59", with subdirectories for each operating system, and each OS directory would contain any XDF files that exist for that OS. And maybe a .bin file. (Maybe different .bin files for different transmission types?) And eventually some data-logging files too, assuming I can get my data-logging app to work more reliably.
Hi all,

As I have plenty of time I can start (re)collecting as many files as possible from various Websites.
Recently had an HDD die that had a LOT of files, such as xdf & bins, for tuning on it.

Mike
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I have a messy collection of various bin xdf in some sort of a structure. Is there a way I can get these to you?
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I agree with using the hardware ID for the top level directories. I don't like spaces in file/directory names though so I'd suggest a naming convention like P59_12583659.

What little free time I have is better spent on getting data logging to work. And then making the data logging app user-friendly, because right now it isn't even developer-friendly...

If you know how to use GitHub, or if you're willing to set some time aside to learn, create a new repository, post a link, and get the ball rolling. :) Or add what you've got to someone else's GitHub repo, if someone posts a link first. Or attach stuff to posts here, and someone else can copy the files to GitHub.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I agree, your time is better spent in code.

Are your thoughts to include 'modified bins' or just factory stock bins ?
I personally think only factory stock bins, else a can of worms might be opened.

Been mucking with this and I'm going to have to eat my words (and I really dislike eating poo) ... However, I dislike the Pxx_HardwareID format more then the Pxx/HardwareID format, I just don't like the two bits of info rolled into one.
The Pxx needs to be there for most to understand because that is what they are known by, as well as the Service number. (12200411 for example)

XDF's are dependent on OsID, thus the filename should have the OsID, probably should be the first part.
There is no place to store the Service number so it must be part of the filename, the rest is easily attainable with a proper valid VIN and from within the bin itself.

However, I have yet to find a intuitive layout. Probably over thinking it!

[edit]
btw: I did setup a test repo for me, not much there currently if anything and it's constantly revolving. don't let this stop anyone else, I did do it all as generic as possible with it's own email: bindepot at mail dot com with thoughts of passing it along to whomever really wants to do this, it is a free personal open source account.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Here is a link to several .bin and .xdf files on GearHeadEFI.com:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... -TunerPro)

Mike
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

And here are some EFILive .TUN files for those that can use them:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ydh5wltk3ss ... J9NGa?dl=0

Mike
ShorTuning
cars: 2002 Camaro
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

The OS's and tune files are interchangeable between all of the hardware's for that particular model (P01 or P59) PCM. I understand some have IAC drivers and some do not, some have analog A/C input and some don't, some have pull-up for tach output and some don't. This info is a given based on what it is pulled from however. Meaning if you have a express VAN tune it's known they use a mechanical throttle which requires IAC drivers.

So in a nutshell why clutter it up with Hardware ID's when for a repository of XDF's and Bin's only care about the model/style PCM rather than the specific hardwares of each model?
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

The idea is to avoid someone flashing a bin file to an incompatible PCM and then wondering why it doesn't work. For example a cable-throttle bin from the "P01" directory onto a DBW P01 PCM.

If the directory name is the hardware ID then it will be clear(er) that people shouldn't expect a bin file from the hardware-ID-A directory to work on a PCM with a hardware-ID-B sticker.

We could put a readme file in each hardware directory that describes which features that hardware has and doesn't have.

I barely understand the hardware variations myself so I'm in favor of making this stuff clear.