Bench top Engine Simulator for the P01/P59 Pcm

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Re: Bench top Engine Simulator for the P01/P59 Pcm

Post by DavidBraley »

Gampy wrote:Thanks MudDuck514, I do hope it does last and/or I don't fry it!
I highly recommend following this character if you are new to electronics (like me!). I find his explanations to be super helpful. I was very surprised to learn that a circuit powered by the USB port on the desktop computer causes the circuit to be mains earth referenced, and what can happen... Super important to those of us programming PCM's on the bench. Normally, the PCM is powered by a floating power source (car battery). But when we use a bench top rig, things can get damaged if we are not careful.

"How NOT To Blow Up Your Oscilloscope!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaELqAo4kkQ
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

The 2 things I was taught regarding this is :
1) Only connect ONE ground - from the A channel input; and
2) NEVER connect the ground clip to a "live" circuit - ONLY the "DC Ground" of the circuit under test!

Mike
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Great info ... Thank you!

Pour it on!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hi Gampy,
I'd like to build one of these signal generators. It appears you were able to find the software. Can you provide any more details of what I need to do/buy to build one? It might take me a bit to understand but I won't give up :study:
-Carl
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

In-Tech wrote:Hi Gampy,
I'd like to build one of these signal generators. It appears you were able to find the software. Can you provide any more details of what I need to do/buy to build one? It might take me a bit to understand but I won't give up :study:
-Carl
If you're talking about the Ardu-Stim??
The only purchase (if you don't have one) is an Ardunio board, like a Arduino UNO.

The software (LibreEMS Suite (Ardu-Stim) and SerialUI v2.1.6) is linked to in the second post, paragraph 6 and 7.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya Gampy,
I need to read better, lol. I skimmed that first page and kinda just saw "database error", "newer might work", "Facebook", "newer versions do not work" so I just kept going. Oopsie, sorry about that.
When I get back to the shop in a couple days I'll see what I have. I just got a PICkit4 a few weeks ago and I know I have some atmel stuff and think I have some arduino stuff laying around so I should be able to build something. Thanks,
-Carl
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Thanks Gampy for the tips on this. The Sparkfun Redboard showed today. Quick hook up to my scope just to have a gander at all the different signals that ardu-stim does, pretty neat. Have you tried yours on an ECM/PCM/TCU yet? I hope to try some stuff on the bench next week. Encoded 24x 1x LS1 and 58x(60-2) 4x LS3 pics below.
DS1Z_QuickPrint12_LS1.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint12_LS1.png (39.37 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
DS1Z_QuickPrint13_LS3.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint13_LS3.png (43.79 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Well, you definitely know how to use a scope better then I ... My post above of the 24x was my very first use of a scope.

Then Sir DavidBraley had to go and ruin my fun with that very helpful awesome video, now I'm a scardee cat ... Naw, just mucking with ya David. ;)

I was never able to get decent results (with the Ardu-Stim on a pcm), I then figured out I had V6 Os's on my Pcms, at the time PcmHammer was not able to Os swap ... I now have V8 Os's on them, however I have not returned to this project since doing so.

I have been planning to do so, I will do so, it just hasn't happened yet ... :(

BTW, Thanks for the Screen Shot education ... -(
(Meaning I see settings that I was confused about and might help me)

In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I am definitely NOT a pro scope user, this 4 channel Rigol has a lot of power and is smarter than me. I just quickly altered some things until the traces were half decent so I could do a snapshot to the memory stick. It's a pretty nice feature, I bet yours has that too. The signal looks pretty "dirty" to me but I also didn't play with it much so I'll let you know what it takes to get the ecm/pcm happy when I get around to it too.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Sweet, I'm all ears (eyes) ...

Is that a Rigol 1040 Plus?
That is one I had on my wish list, they say good things about them.

Yea, I believe this Siglent can record and do snapshots to usb.