Bench top Engine Simulator for the P01/P59 Pcm

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
In-Tech

Re: Bench top Engine Simulator for the P01/P59 Pcm

Post by In-Tech »

My old Tektronix 212 died :sad2: but I'm gonna fix it someday. It was good for just about anything car wise.
Tektronix 212.jpg
Tektronix 212.jpg (97.4 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
So, I called my buddy Dave Telling(retired head electronics engineer at Mallory Ignition) I used to work with back in the day at Mallory, and asked him what scope I should buy. He told me he had just bought one of these Rigol DS1054Z units and he was pretty happy with it for the price. So I bought one figuring he would be my tech support :lol:
Rigol DS1054Z.jpg
Rigol DS1054Z.jpg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Rigol_DS1054Z-2.jpg
Rigol_DS1054Z-2.jpg (91.31 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Gampy wrote:Is that a Rigol 1040 Plus?
Whoops, I meant 1104 Plus ...

That 1054 is supposed to be a nice piece, it was unavailable ... You do know it's hackable I suppose.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

If the output of that arduino is actually that "dirty" we'll have to come up with some stuff to clean it up. I'd like to test up to ~10,000 rpm. I have a fair share of electronics(caps, resistors, diode's, micro's, analog chip stuff, etc) at the shop so should be able to build whatever we need without having to order from mouser or digikey. I have a couple ideas of what we need to try and if you have ideas I'm all ears. :)
-Carl

Yes on the hackable, a bud of mine that is heavy into PIC micro's used mine a couple times and then bought one for himself. He's always doing some kind of upgrade hacks to his and mine. :thumbup:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Yea, I don't think it's that sensitive ... I suspect the Pcm expects a lot worse, it is an automotive piece after all.

I wouldn't have a clue as to where to start building a filter ... :oops: :( :oops:
Though I suspect I have what would be needed.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Do those ones have protocol decode? Reading ALDL frames off the wire with the serial plugin looked pretty nifty when I saw it. Its a pitty nothing has VPW though, thats why I had to roll my own for my logic analyser.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

This Siglent does IIC, SPI, UART, CAN, LIN.

Yup, Had to look it up ... :( :oops:

I am truly scope green ... I have never even seen one used other then at Youtube University!

MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Gampy, 40 or so years ago when I was taught how to use a 'scope, the most advanced thing they were capable of was 'Z' axis intensity modulation so you could view TV signal wave forms!
Things have gotten a LOT more complicated since then, :D

Mike
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

It works :punk: I'll try it with some higher rpm another day. Funny how things go, a couple days after I built it, my buds 2004 vette all of a sudden had no cam sensor signal and he says he has checked the wiring so I told him I would check the computer...nothing wrong :mrgreen: He just installed a new engine and some wires must be damaged so I'll make him a 3 wire cam sensor harness direct from the computer to his sensor so he can quite working on his harness :thumbup:
LS1_A_500.JPG
LS1_AA_500.JPG
LS1_A_1500.JPG
LS1_AA_1500.JPG
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Sweet ... I need to come back to this project, it keeps getting shuffled down.

Did you know you can use ALT-PrintScreen to capture just the active App.
Also using a Metadata stripper will not only reduce the image size (typically by a good amount), it will remove any personal info.

In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hello Gampy,
Thanks for the tips on screen shots, I did not know that.

Next contemplation is to make a new "box" for bench testing that will have LED's for coil output, inj output, fuel pump output, MIL, etc. My plan is to have a ~24 pin 1/4 turn connector on this box to be able to plug into each individual sub harness used for programming/testing each type of computer. What's your thoughts on pins to test on the bench?

I'm very glad you started this thread, that ardu-stim is awesome for this type of project. It got me excited to build some more test equipment. :thumbup: