P59 flash kernel development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc . Circa 1999 to 2006. All VPW OBD2 PCMs.

Re: P59 flash kernel development

Postby Gampy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:08 am

Ok, I'll buy one and trade you ... :lol:

Site Admin

Postby antus » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:31 am

the problem with these pcms is the locations are not a standard footprint, so that second one wouldnt line up with the provided adapters. I'd still prefer the probes and run a slow speed, or cut the lead shorter if need be. But all means to an end.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396

Postby Gampy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:30 am

And is exactly why I stated
Gampy wrote:With a little twisting, and a little tweeking it ought to work pretty good.

How boring life would be without a little twisting, and a little tweeking! ;)

-Enjoy

Postby DavidBraley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:02 am

I agree with both of you. That little circuit board that holds the pins in the BDM fixture that Gampy shares would have to be custom made. It's our good luck the spacing for the BDM pin locations on the P01 and P59 are on a 0.100" grid. So a simple prototype circuit board could hold the pins in the correct locations, and then trimmed to fit the holder on the BDM fixture. Depending on the size, the holder on the fixture might need to be modified a bit. The Intel Read/Write pad that needs 12 volts can be a separate long probe pin that Antus shows in the fixture design he shared. The best of both fixture styles I say! Of course, the PCM's that use the AMD flash do not need the extra 12V probe.
-David

Horsepower determines the speed you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.

Postby Gampy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:50 am

I think a lot has to do with the individuals needs ... They both have advantages and disadvantages.

I can see how the one Antus posted would probably be better for him because he likely does more odd ball stuff then I would for example, that design allows for what ever pinning you want easily.

On the other hand, the other design is better suited to doing the same thing most of the time. whether you do the same units all the time, or do production runs.

Previous

Return to GM LS1 512Kbyte and 1Mbyte