P59 flash kernel development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: P59 flash kernel development

Post by Gampy »

Ok, I'll buy one and trade you ... :lol:
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

the problem with these pcms is the locations are not a standard footprint, so that second one wouldnt line up with the provided adapters. I'd still prefer the probes and run a slow speed, or cut the lead shorter if need be. But all means to an end.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

And is exactly why I stated
Gampy wrote:With a little twisting, and a little tweeking it ought to work pretty good.
How boring life would be without a little twisting, and a little tweeking! ;)

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

I agree with both of you. That little circuit board that holds the pins in the BDM fixture that Gampy shares would have to be custom made. It's our good luck the spacing for the BDM pin locations on the P01 and P59 are on a 0.100" grid. So a simple prototype circuit board could hold the pins in the correct locations, and then trimmed to fit the holder on the BDM fixture. Depending on the size, the holder on the fixture might need to be modified a bit. The Intel Read/Write pad that needs 12 volts can be a separate long probe pin that Antus shows in the fixture design he shared. The best of both fixture styles I say! Of course, the PCM's that use the AMD flash do not need the extra 12V probe.
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I think a lot has to do with the individuals needs ... They both have advantages and disadvantages.

I can see how the one Antus posted would probably be better for him because he likely does more odd ball stuff then I would for example, that design allows for what ever pinning you want easily.

On the other hand, the other design is better suited to doing the same thing most of the time. whether you do the same units all the time, or do production runs.