Getting started with PCM hammer

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Getting started with PCM hammer

Post by pman92 »

Hey guys,
I've been following the PCM hammer threads with interest but until now have had nothing to do with LS1 PCM's.
I recently picked up a LS1 0411 that I found and have decided I might have a play around.

Is there any useful info out there for getting started?

What interface is everyone using? I've read about the allpro but it seems it's no longer available? I've also read about another interface in development?

Cheers
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Getting started with PCM hammer

Post by antus »

It should be pretty self explanitory to use. The other interface will be the X-Pro (from Tazzi), but he'll need to talk for that. He and another have designed and built it, and put the code for it in pcmhammer. I have used my AVT, MDI, a Mongoose, and an OBD-Link-SX, as well as the allpro, though the allpro turned out to be a non-starter as the guy who was making it stopped making it (Without knowing his reasons I guess it was too cheap and not worth his time when the non-hobbyists started lining up for them). If your using a J2534 interface you need one that works (sounds obvious but some of the super cheap ones dont work well, and the tactrix doesnt support VPW so cant do it either). The genuine vx-nano works well at a low price, but some of its clones do not. Obdlink-sx works, but is very slow compared to other options.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I've been using an ObdLink LX lately, it's what I recommend until the X-Pro is available.

There are a couple of wiki pages with getting-started info, though I'll admit they need more work:

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/ ... ng-Started
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/wiki/Tuning

Also, I just now sorted through the pile of links in the wiki sidebar... There's now a group of links at the top with stuff that was written for new users, to make it easier to find. And the rest is now somewhat categorized too. I should have done this a long time ago. :)
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I'm using the SparkFun OBDII UART.

Works well. 10min 512k reads, 20 min 1m reads.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Vampyre
cars: grand am, trans am

Post by Vampyre »

ive got an avt852 and vcxnano both work great
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Cheers guys.
I might just hang out until the X-pro is available. I've got plenty of other stuff to do in my limited free time at the moment.
Thanks
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

I, too am waiting for the X-Pro to be released!
Any update as to it's release date?

Mike
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

As soon as it's ready, I'm sure. :)

I don't blame the guys behind it for being quiet about it... it's really hard to make predictions, and surprises are inevitable, so there's no benefit in announcing an ETA, but there's plenty of drawbacks.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Personally I'm glad they are taking their time, it gives reason to believe they are truly trying to release a good product ...

Rushed products typically have failings!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

NSFW wrote:As soon as it's ready, I'm sure. :)

I don't blame the guys behind it for being quiet about it... it's really hard to make predictions, and surprises are inevitable, so there's no benefit in announcing an ETA, but there's plenty of drawbacks.
Spot on, its the really little things that we are focusing at the moment. Just yesterday was fixing up the following:
1) Making sure the USB enumerates in windows when switching to bootloader mode for updates
2) Compiling a simple driver installer and testing in windows 7,8 and 10.
3) Uploading images to the website

I believe Pete is preparing the shipment of the first boards to a few people over the next couple days. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726