ABS Hacking

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: ABS Hacking

Post by vlad01 »

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

Btw, are those Argo rods?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
jlvaldez
cars: '01 - Corvette Z06
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

Haven't touched this for a few days lol. Motivation was dwindling.

I've got most of this crummy UI put together.

Still haven't got my hands on the API :( Tazzi, where you at!

I keep diggign through the ELM documentation, and I don't see a way to transmit while also keeping ATMA active.

Edit: Did a little more updates. I have been updating the back end to do the frame processing in pandas (python library) instead of using the GUI's internal lists. Slowly getting there :) And it works on all OSes! OS X and Windows pictured here
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 4.30.30 AM.png
guiv2.png
guiv2.png (18.94 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Nice work!
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
jlvaldez
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

Alright, finally got it put together and working well enough to test it in car. So far it can only listen on the bus, but it does exactly what I want.

Here i plugged it into the car and turned it on and pressed a few buttons. Makes sniffing for data way easier because I can select how many of the bytes in the payload to use to determine if a message is unique. Since most responses from modules have the same first 2 bytes to acknowledge a request and give the PID, it will update the payload after that if you so desire, which is awesome.

Only problems i'm having:
1) I tried using Pandas to store the incoming messages, but it was too damn slow. I ended up switching everything over to python lists, but unfortunately it's a pain in the ass to read, since the lists use indices instead of keys in a dictionary.
2) Python serial library seems to have a delay reading incoming messages. It streams pretty constantly for ~2-3 seconds, then pauses for a few seconds, then streams again. So not quite real time, but pretty damn close.

I plan to add support to be able to transmit a message, but with the ELM327 command send, it's not possible to send a message while simultaneously listening to the entire bus. (cough cough, tazzi ;) )
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.45.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.45.09 PM.png (151.41 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I found Tazzi on Facebook (not hard - see the LS Droid group) and asked him about what you're doing. I think I misunderstood the issue you're facing so i probably asked the wrong question, but the answer might still be useful, especially this part:
"We have the xpro command set on the Obdx pro website"
By which he meant this: https://obdxpro.com/Downloads/Reference ... e%20v2.pdf

The interesting commands:
DX PT1 (passthough mode on)
DX PT0 (passthrough off)
DX SM 00 00 00 (set mask to "anything")

I'm not sure whether sending messages while in passthrough mode will interrupt the monitoring or not, but it's worth a try.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Passthrough basically removes the "send 1 receive 1" nature of the ELM protocol.

It allows all messages that meet the filter requirements to be sent to the computer instantly. You can still also send messages to the bus.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
jlvaldez
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

Thanks guys! That looks like the exact set of commands I require for this sniffer and transmitter script :)
I have it working ok-ish enough to sniff data only, which is primarily what I needed. I'll return and update the other functions, as well as debug why the serial stream seems to read in blocks of a few seconds instead of a continuous stream as they come in.

Currently I've been writing some firmware for a microcontroller to handle querying the ABS module and listening for certain messages.

PS: I requested to join the LS Droid FB group. Didn't realize there was one
TE27Levin
cars: 04 escalade

Post by TE27Levin »

Sorry to just jump in here. Would this be able to remove the action of stabilitrack AWD system trying to send power to the front wheels by applying the brakes to the rear. You know, If you installed a manual transfer case in the place of the awd one? Even with the traction control off, it still interferes and won't allow me to drift.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Maybe, if it uses the EBCM to apply the brakes. Have you tried pulling fuses for the EBCM to see if that makes a difference?
TE27Levin
cars: 04 escalade

Post by TE27Levin »

NSFW wrote:Maybe, if it uses the EBCM to apply the brakes. Have you tried pulling fuses for the EBCM to see if that makes a difference?

Oh I am sure it would, or disconnecting a wheel speed sensor would have the same effect, albeit triggering the ABS and brake warning lights and having a fault that would not go away until a proper scan tool clears the code. Don't feel like lugging around my maxidas 908P hehe!