PCM Hammer Release 012

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

PCM Hammer Release 012

Post by NSFW »

Improvements in this release:
  • Full writes for the P59 PCMs (aka 1mb PCMs) are now supported.
  • Write Parameters (Clone) works again.
  • The most frequently used features (Read Properties, Test Write, Write) still have buttons on the main window, however other operations have been moved to a Tools menu at the top of the window.
  • You'll also find an Options menu that lets you enable and disable 4x communications. You'll probably want to leave that checked, but some vehicles have modules that send 1x messages during 4x communication, which interrupts reads and writes. Disabling 4x should work around that problem.
  • And a few minor bug fixes.
There's just one known issue in this release: Non-ELM devices will report retry counts after a read or write operation. This slow things down a little bit, and we're looking into a solution.

To get the zip file, go here...
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/ ... 0.03.05.01
...click "Assets" at the bottom of the page, and click the zip file.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: PCM Hammer Release 012

Post by antus »

Best release yet! Lots of smaller fixes in this one too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Whoo Freaking Hoo ... Absolutely Awesome!

Y'all nailed the important one IMO, P59 (1m) writes!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
ColPaul

Post by ColPaul »

Thank you soooooo much for donating all your time and energy into this! I'm incredibly excited to try this on my Dad's truck. I have been comparing the 603 to a 618 OS to find similar address, but ideally I would like to transition to the 603 OS. I would be great to have something in the wiki on how to backup the original OS (618 in my case), what to modify on the donor 603 OS (maybe just the VIN and VATS disable with TunerPro?), and how to upload donor OS, as well as any other steps needed. Likewise, it would be good to understand the steps required to revert to the original OS if something goes wrong with the donor OS. Thanks in advance!

Paul
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Some of that I can answer, but some of that I still don't know...

To back up the current tune, just do a full read, and the .bin file that comes out is your backup. It contains 100% of the contents of the flash memory of the PCM.

What to modify? I really don't know. It might be possible to just copy the parameter blocks (clone) from the original .bin file, but I don't know whether that works when you're changing operating systems. I'm actually starting to wonder the same thing myself as I want to switch my Corvette from a P01 to a P59.

If you don't clone, then yes I think VIN and VATS are probably all you need.

You may need to go through a process to introduce the PCM and BCM to each other after the flash. That's called a "BCM re-learn" and if you search for that phrase you'll find a couple web pages about it.

If the car has been modified and tuned, then you'll need similar tuning with the new OS. If there's an XDF for the old OS, then you can just copy over all of the tables and parameters. If there is no XDF for the old OS, then you'll have to do the tune the new OS pretty much from scratch.

If you need to revert to the original OS, get the .bin file from the original, use "Write OS & Calibration" followed by "Write Parameters" and the PCM will be as if nothing happened. You will probably need to re-do the BCM re-learn though.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I just noticed that the hotkey for test writes (Alt-T) doesn't work because it's also the hotkey for the Tools menu. But if that's the worst problem we find in this release, I'll be delighted. :)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

NSFW wrote:I just noticed that the hotkey for test writes (Alt-T) doesn't work because it's also the hotkey for the Tools menu. But if that's the worst problem we find in this release, I'll be delighted. :)
Well beat me silly, I should have caught that and said something before release, my apologies. :oops:
I didn't add hot keys because both T and O were already used by Buttons and I really didn't think the PR was going to be accepted, let alone have most of the buttons moved to it. :shock:
It's an easy add, it wasn't already there, I figured a Menu wasn't wanted.

However, I have Tools to release and the Operations box was getting a bit crowded.

Hind sight, I would have done some things differently with that PR.

The moral of the story, live and learn don't assume! ;)

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I hope you don't either. :)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I could use some sleep loss, the keyboard face is getting bad!

joukoy
cars: --

Post by joukoy »

Thanks!

Calibration writing and logger tested without any issues. (P59)