PCM Hammer Suite development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

I like the change. I just have a couple of minor changes that I'd like to see before merging it.

I've also got a kind-of-related question... Are we ready to get rid of the "If your PCM stops working, will that make your life difficult" warning? I kinda think we are, but I'd appreciate a sanity check.

P.S. Y'all know what happens if you press the . key while looking at a pull request?
Try it some time. It's the biggest easter-egg ever.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I think we are, as well as the "you have no retried packets. were not sure what normal is, please report this to pcmhacking.net". Perhaps it could just be a number of retries to be informational, but I think we know now with the current kernel 0 is normal.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

@NSFW pull request for the 838 branch. Ive verified the 852 is still solid, and hquick verified the 838. https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/pull/243
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

NSFW wrote:P.S. Y'all know what happens if you press the . key while looking at a pull request?
Try it some time. It's the biggest easter-egg ever.
Nothing ...

Now I'm curious.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

It worked for me, but I wont post a spoiler, at least not yet. I'll send you a PM :)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Thanks Antus ...

On another note, can we please get away from using 'null' and using 'string.Empty' and 'string.IsNullOrWhitespace(value)' instead.

Thank You!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
joukoy
cars: Pontiac Firebird 1978

Post by joukoy »

I made a copy of pcmlogger, modified it to .net 4.0 compatible (removed J2534 support) and included to UniversalPatcher.
Not published yet, fixing...

Now I try to make "FAST_MODE" (Passive mode?) logging work (user selection), but it is not really fast mode. (Yes, responseType = 0x24)
Is it possible that PCM is not sending data with full rate in this mode?

Using OBDX Pro, P59 PCM
With 8 parameters, query time:
Passive: 200 ms
Active: 75 ms

With 24 parameters:
Passive: not working
Active: 175ms

So... maybe it is better to forget "FAST_MODE" ?
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I still think it should be possible to get the FAST_MODE approach to work, and be faster than the way logging works now. I just haven't figured it out.

Pete posted something here that might do it:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7195&p=113864#p113864
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

FAST_MODE is gone, and there's now FastLogger class and a SlowLogger class, depending on whether or not the device supports streaming. :)

Or more accurately it depends on whether or not I/we have figured out how to get the device to listen to a stream. The XPro definitely does, and I think AVTs and any J2534 device will as well, but I'm not sure about AllPro and ObdLink.

If anyone wants to play with it, the changes are in the nsfw/logger-improvements branch. I'd love to know whether the current code works with AVT and J2534 devices.

The only catch is that it won't start streaming until the logging profile has enough parameters to require four DPIDs. For now you just have to pick a bunch of parameters at random until you get there... I need to add some code to fill the unused DPIDs automatically, but I'll get to that soon.

I also need to play around with ObdLink and AllPro some more to see if they can be made to work.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I just re-read Pete's message and I think I see how to get the PCM to stream less than 4 DPIDs - pass 0xFF in place of the unneeded DPIDs. I'll try that before I go filling up unnecessary DPIDs. But I'm out of time for tonight.