PCM Hammer Suite development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by antus »

Even if they are common, I think less anacronyms are a good thing. Tools is nice, I think we should keep that. For commonly used tasks, I think that'll change from person to person. We could have get properties, read bin, read cal, write cal though. I know from experience that if we put write bin in a spot too obvious people will click it without understanding what they're doing and sooner or later brick a pcm.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Lol, interface it is
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

If only there were an acronym library :wall:
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

its not a bad idea. put it under the help menu?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

antus wrote:its not a bad idea. put it under the help menu?
How about a "Glossary" under the "Help" menu?

Mike
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Glossary is a great idea. I just added a wiki page and I'm working on the rest of the Help menu now.
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/wiki/Glossary
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

The point is moot, the words are in vain, however,
Tazzi wrote:Unfortunately not everyone is as well versed as you and I with terminologies.
How does anyone become 'well versed' ... By asking questions when they can't find the answer! :thumbup:
We all have to ask for explanations and translations to the different lingos and acronyms used around the world, it's part of world wide life.
Tazzi wrote:To have acronyms which are undocumented mean people will only figure out what it means by asking questions.
NSFW wrote:And +1 for self explanatory, widely understood terms. Teaching people what VCI means would just be a distraction for us and our users.
VCI is well documented, no teaching required ... A simple flyover with "Vehicle Communication Interface" and presto, it's self explanatory, and easily searchable!
Device
Interface
Vehicle Communication Interface
Tazzi wrote:Why answer the same question 1000 times, when it can be self explanatory? :thumbup:
Device vs. Interface vs. Vehicle Communication Interface ... which one is truly self explanatory!
antus wrote:I know from experience that if we put write bin in a spot too obvious people will click it without understanding what they're doing and sooner or later brick a pcm.
You cannot protect the stupid, only inhibit the intelligent ...
You can however reduce accidents with safety's.
The technique is called "Poka Yoke" ...
In-Tech wrote:If only there were an acronym library :wall:
MudDuck514 wrote:How about a "Glossary" under the "Help" menu?
NSFW wrote:Glossary is a great idea. I just added a wiki page and I'm working on the rest of the Help menu now.
Well as might add a thesaurus and dictionary, also going to need translators to translate lingoes, languages and acronyms from one part of the world to another!
Oh yea with all this information we'll have to make it searchable so add a Google Search Bar too ...

Come on, this ain't no <bleep>ing training app, leave the training wheels for the kiddie apps!

I'm exhausted with this, yes, this is personal to me, I started the menu system for things I had coming, and it's been disrespectfully hijacked from the start, it's proper etiquette to have the developer of a PR make any desired changes to that PR before it's committed ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

People learn by asking questions, that is correct. But why make it harder if you do not have to?

I just had my partner look at two words, "VCI" and "Interface", and asked her what do they mean.
He response was "Well, interface is like a cable right? Dunno what the fuck a VCI is."

This is coming from someone that has absolutely no idea about tuning, cars, or diagnostics. That is just a simple comparison of two words. Now, the next thing she did was google VCI. Now, guess what google brings up when searching that term? A business consulting company, lubricants and a bunch of things unrelated to what we know as VCIs definition.

Anyways, a glossary is a great idea to add common terms that people may not have come across but may do as they search for definitions or more information. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Tazzi wrote:People learn by asking questions, that is correct. But why make it harder if you do not have to?
It's only harder to those that already know and have to break the habit ...
Tazzi wrote:I just had my partner look at two words, "VCI" and "Interface", and asked her what do they mean.
He response was "Well, interface is like a cable right? Dunno what the fuck a VCI is."

This is coming from someone that has absolutely no idea about tuning, cars, or diagnostics. That is just a simple comparison of two words. Now, the next thing she did was google VCI. Now, guess what google brings up when searching that term? A business consulting company, lubricants and a bunch of things unrelated to what we know as VCIs definition.
I'm not going to get into what your partner may or may not know or think ...

Now add just a teeny tiny bit of intelligence and search for Vehicle Communication Interface ... Or just use the link I provided above ...

Funny Interface or Device wasn't searched for ... I did also provide links to those searches as well.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Gampy wrote:It's only harder to those that already know and have to break the habit ...
Its not breaking a habit, its making intuitive software for people so they don't have to go searching? Your more then welcome to start making software full of abbreviations, without a glossary (Since.. we aren't writing a dictionary correct?) and see how that goes for you. :thumbup:
Making informative posts, tutorials, wikis and threads which can introduce such acronyms or common language is a better learning method then just letting the end user make mistakes to learn.
Gampy wrote:I'm not going to get into what your partner may or may not know or think ...

Now add just a teeny tiny bit of intelligence and search for Vehicle Communication Interface ... Or just use the link I provided above ...

Funny Interface or Device wasn't searched for ... I did also provide links to those searches as well.
The acronym you put is VCI, Not the full description "Vehicle Communication Interface". Might need to take that kind wisdom of a teeny bit of intelligence to realize that the whole point is the end user does not know what VCI stands for in the first place, so how can they search the full text?. :wall:

And why would she want to google interface or device, when these are not acronyms, and clearly words that are understood. I mean, I don't go looking up words like car and steak just for fun. :roll:

But lets take your advice and search those terms. Looking up "define interface", the second google definitions is: "COMPUTING - a device or program enabling a user to communicate with a computer.".
And "define device", shows first definition of "a thing made or adapted for a particular purpose, especially a piece of mechanical or electronic equipment.".

Both of which at least give the user an idea of what it could be referring to, instead of a nameless acronym with no glossary/dictionary to refer to (Which is apparently bad to have??). The purpose of my partners demonstration is not to question her intelligence in anyway, but to demonstrate what an average user that does not have much exposure to computers, cars, ect to see how they would respond to an unknown acronym vs an actual word.

Anyways, you are more then welcome to continue arguing the point, wont bother answering again if you choose to as its going in circles, would rather spend this time actually implementing something useful towards the application. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726