PCM Hammer Suite development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by Gampy »

Your own words clearly show you do not read my words ...

I'm not arguing, you are, I'm just pointing out facts!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
joukoy
cars: Pontiac Firebird 1978

Post by joukoy »

Is it possible to add support for command line parameters, so flashing can be started from other program?
For example:
c:\pcmhammer\pcmhammer.exe /WRITECALIBRATION c:\temp\mymodifiedtune.bin

I am thinking about adding button to Universalpatcher Tuner-window, so I can change tune and then click "Write", without jumping between programs.
Maybe automatic saving + backup in background...

I will do this for my own use anyway, if not added to official Pcmhammer :D
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

If you do it anyway, please do send a pull request on github :) I guess it'd need to pop up the config box if the interface isnt configured or it cant initialize it. Some kind of workflow. I would assume the gui would still pop up so you can see what its doing? or are you thinking CLI output?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I like this idea a lot. If there is no interface configured we could pop up the interface picker dialog box. It gets more tricky if the user has configured an interface that is no longer attached to the PC or something like that. Or if the file isn't present at the given path - surely no such bug would ever happen with Universal Patcher, but other people eventually might try this too. :)

And then there's the question of what to do if there's already an instance of PcmHammer.exe running (or worse, doing something). I know there's a way to send a message to the already-running instance, but I haven't looked into that for a long time.

For the first iteration, the easiest thing would probably be to just launch the UI and put it into the same state as if the user had clicked the Write Cal button and picked the file. And encourage users to close the app when the write is complete. We can make it more sophisticated over time.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
joukoy

Post by joukoy »

I dont have permissions to send pull request.

Edit: Code removed
Last edited by joukoy on Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

This is the most common mistake made when trying to contribute to an existing Github project ...

You must first have a place where you have permissions in order to push changes, so the proper steps are simply stated like so,
Fork a repository, clone that fork local, create a local branch, make your modifications, commit the changes, push that branch to your fork, then create a pull request from your fork ...

FMI Click: How to Git with PcmHacks in Visual Studio

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
joukoy

Post by joukoy »

Gampy wrote:This is the most common mistake made when trying to contribute to an existing Github project ...

You must first have a place where you have permissions in order to push changes, so the proper steps are simply stated like so,
Fork a repository, clone that fork local, create a local branch, make your modifications, commit the changes, push that branch to your fork, then create a pull request from your fork ...

FMI Click: How to Git with PcmHacks in Visual Studio
Thank you.
I think I have done it now :hmm:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

joukoy wrote: Thank you.
I think I have done it now :hmm:
I did not review the code, but the Pull Request looks awesome! :thumbup:

joukoy

Post by joukoy »

Still trying to understand github, removed previous pull request (I think) and created new.
There must be better way to check if device is ready, than checking if "Write Calibration" -button is enabled, but it seems to work...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

normally you would make a branch on your copy of the tree, which I think you have done, and you can create the merge request on the branch, and it will track further changes without you doing anything. so your local work flow becomes do your edits, do a test, commit the changes with a message about what changed, then push that to github. at this point that new change stacks on top of the others, and we merge your request, normally also deleting our copy of your branch and its done. Mostly I work with gitlab, but I think its the same.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396