PCM Hammer Suite development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by Gampy »

Ignore my previous post ... I spoke too soon.

Gosh I dislike that foul taste ... But, I have to eat em, the words on the AllPro, that thing is Zinging without retries on the bench at 4x!

All I did was clean and rebuild the source again, just like I do every time ... when I say clean, I mean just that, temp dir, caches, source tree, everything!

I did delete the Tool com ports and swapped them, the AllPro was on 3, now it's on 4. That don't matter unless the AllPro port driver was fudgedup. I did it for other reasons.

I did not reboot either the Pcm nor the PC.

Some times,
Tool : AllPro 4x
. Test Write : Elapsed time 00:01:39.9277344 * No retries
. Verify : Elapsed time 00:01:22.2529297 * No retries
. Read : Elapsed time 00:10:27.0214844 * No retries

Tool : SparkFun (STN1110)
. Test Write : Elapsed time 00:02:28.9257813 * No retries
. Verify : Elapsed time 00:01:25.1904297 * No retries
. Read : Elapsed time 00:23:55.4394531 * 444 retries.
Previously for the SparkFun,
Tool : SparkFun (STN1110)
. Test Write : Elapsed time 00:02:26.5419922 * No retries
. Verify : Elapsed time 00:02:06.4345703 * No retries
. Read : Elapsed time 00:22:42.4003906 * No retries
So, time wise it's barely slower on the read now then it was, but has many retries ... Wonder what it could be with no retries. I'm surely going to try and find out.

I'll get brave and try a Full write (Clone) with the AllPro shortly. (Brave ... NOT, I have BDM)

So, Sorry to those my words may have offended ... Though I meant no offense in the first place, I surely do apologize.
Last edited by Gampy on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

It's worth trying an older version of the develop branch (or even the last release branch) to see if my recent changes caused those problems.
If so then increasing the timeouts in the AllProDeviceImplementation and ScantoolDeviceImplementation files should fix it.

If not then I'd guess there's something wrong with the wiring. But try some known-good software first.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I think maybe I was unclear, I re-edited my two previous posts hopefully to clear things up.

The AllPro is working awesome ...

The SparkFun (STN1110) not perfect, but works.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

No worries. Look at which request is having the problem with retries, then which timeout was being used when that message was sent, then try increasing that timeout.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I was not wrong ... Maybe a little off, but not wrong.

The AllPro is flaky at best, 4x is still useless ... 1x works sometimes, not consistently.
In over a dozen 4x attempts there has only been one success, and that one time it was perfect. Those were the times I posted above. (I guess the moon was properly phased)

Most times it doesn't get past the second packet of the kernel upload.

To those electronics folks,
. What size resistor on what pin(s) should I try ??
. Is there a use here for my new O-Scope to see whats happening ??

Thanks

AllPro 4x read attempt log.
Attachments
AllProLog.txt
(41.73 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I'm also curious about what the LX does to the VPW line to make the AllPro happy.
"Resistor" is just a guess, I really have no idea.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

NSFW wrote:I'm also curious about what the LX does to the VPW line to make the AllPro happy.
"Resistor" is just a guess, I really have no idea.
I 'think' the allpro design just basically holds the bus to ground (Can verify checking pin2 if it has any voltage reading with allpro connected).
When the LX is connected, it likely has a pullup resistor or similar which is allowing proper communication between devices.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Gampy , Tazzi et al

Try measuring the resistance from Pin 2 to Pins 4 and/ or 5 on both devices.
If they differ greatly, try adding the value of the OBDLink to the Y cable via another DLC connector.
Devices in parallel tend to reduce the overall resistance to at least 1/2 of the value of either resistor - the exact value can either be calculated via a complex formula (unless they are identical)
OR, measure the value of them both connected to the Y cable.

Mike
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

When are these measurements to be taken ... While it's hooked up and powered ready for use or setting on the bench ??

Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Ok, the only way things measure sensibly is resistance when the tool is plugged into the PCM and no power from anywhere ... Not plugged into USB nor PCM powered.

Then across Pin2 and Pin4/5 I get,
AllPro 9.9k Ohms.
Sparkfun 239.3k Ohms.

Is that helpful ??

Measuring voltage when powered, it pulses ...