PCM Hammer Suite development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Gampy,
The effective resistance from adding the Sparkfun board in parallel with the AllPro is approximately 9.5k Ohms.
So, suffice it to say that adding a resistor to the board will NOT make it work. (If the AllPro had the HIGHER resistance and the Sparkfun the lower than I'd say go for it).
Seems to be that the Sparkfun may be sending tester present messages that the AllPro isn't?
Mike
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

The hardware used in the allpro (I forgotten the technical name of it), holds the bus close to ground and can prevent communication between between devices.

Other tools may be providing passive power to the bus which is whats allowing communication.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Tazzi that makes sense to me - the allpro literally has a 10k resistor from the data pin to ground.
I assume the sparkfun has a 240k resistor, which allows the pin to "float" compared to the allpro.
It MAY be worth replacing the resistor in the allpro with a larger value and see if that fixes it.

Mike
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I think there's got to be a way to fix it from the outside though. It's always been reliable for me when I have the LX on the other side of my Y adapter, and it's always been reliable in my car. So I don't think we need to modify the AllPro to make it reliable in a bench harness. It just needs something else on the bus that does whatever the LX is doing.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I'm curious if a schottky or other fast switching diode protecting the rx/tx for proper communication would help. I don't have any of the mentioned devices to test.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Welp, as soon as I get some kind of confirmation that R13 is in fact the 10k resistor pulling down the bus, I plan on getting it swapped for a larger one. (to small for me to do, I shake too much)

I also need to find out it's Package (foot print) ... It's small is all I know and I can't read the number so well, it looks like 1002 through my chincy magnifier.
Do I need to use a surface mount or can I cobble on a typical barrel type carbon film. I don't think I have an appropriate surface mount in stock.

Requiring a second tool (or device/module) on the bus is unacceptable IMO.

As far as I'm concerned it's broken as is to me ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

A further analysis of the internal parts on the board is realistically needed. I wouldnt go changing resistors and parts without fully understanding the circuit as it may be critical do how a component runs (transistors, opamps, regulators ect).
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

Does this schematic help any?
AllProUsb.pdf
(91.95 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I think its more likely extra capacitance on the bus effects the waveform. I cant see it being resistance as it should work with any number of other devices 1 to more than 5 and I just cant see it being a level issue a 'y' cable can fix. But that 'y' would add capacitance to the bus. Im definately no analog signal guru though.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

An interesting thing I've found is it acts like it gets hot ...
If it's left unplugged for a while, then plugged in and used immediately, it works perfect sometimes, that is the only time I can get it to work, but after some minutes it's all done until it sets for a while again.

With this latest change to VehicleSetVPW4x(...) it is MUCH better, though still not reliable enough to attempt a write safely IMO.

I see it this way ... It is currently junk to me, what do I have to lose, it can always be put back unless it gets taught to smoke.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!