Problems connecting to PCM Hammer

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
tonyorlo
cars: 91 s10 v8 megasquirt
72 karmann ghia
94 jaguar xj6 to be LS swapped

Re: Problems connecting to PCM Hammer

Post by tonyorlo »

Here is where I got the driver for the OBDX Pro VT if this helps anyone.

https://obdxpro.com/downloads/

I have many more questions, but I will play with it more and read through some threads on here before I go asking them. I feel I’ve already embarrassed myself enough today!
tonyorlo
72 karmann ghia

Post by tonyorlo »

So the 012 version I have does not give me the option to read full contents, which is the only way to save the bin file correct? Do I need to change something on my end to make it work? I installed 011 and it has the option to read full contents, but when I try it says unlock was not successful. What am I missing or doing wrong?
Ill post a screen shot of the 012 and the 011.

Please take it easy on me, I am by no means a computer guru, I am a gear head wanting to learn. I am pretty confident in megasquirt, but its much easier to get into than PCM Hammer.

Thanks for all you have done!

and

Thank you for any help!
Attachments
pcm h 5.png
PCM h 4.png
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Always use the latested version of pcmhammer.

Looks like its failing at unlocking the ecu... so either it has an unknown algorithm, is in some sort of recovery mode or is tuner locked?

Will need to probably add some more debug information to screen to capture whats being received/sent. I can do that later today.

*Edit
Please post what displays in the debug log.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Some buttons were moved to the Menu in version 12.

Look under Tools on the Menu ... You will find "Read Entire PCM".

Please attach a Debug Log (in Text format. (ie Notepad)) from version 12 trying a "Read Entire PCM" from the Tools menu.

As Tazzi stated, it is failing to Unlock and a Debug log will give us more detail.

Thank you

p.s.
To save a log as Text,
.. Right-Click: The text of the log
.. Select: Select All
.. Right-Click: The selection
.. Select: Copy
Then paste into Notepad and save. (or your favorite Text editor)
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
tonyorlo
72 karmann ghia

Post by tonyorlo »

Tazzi wrote:Always use the latested version of pcmhammer.

Looks like its failing at unlocking the ecu... so either it has an unknown algorithm, is in some sort of recovery mode or is tuner locked?

Will need to probably add some more debug information to screen to capture whats being received/sent. I can do that later today.

*Edit
Please post what displays in the debug log.
I tried it this morning and everything worked great. Got the bin file saved, and now I’m looking to get the XDF so I can open it up in tuner pro. I believe I found what I needed, I’ll give it a try later today. I’ll post back with results.

Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Awesome!

It looks like you have OsID 12592618, you must have the correct XDF for that OsID.

If you find an XDF for it, I would be interested in it as well.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
tonyorlo
72 karmann ghia

Post by tonyorlo »

Gampy wrote:Awesome!

It looks like you have OsID 12592618, you must have the correct XDF for that OsID.

If you find an XDF for it, I would be interested in it as well.
I am not very computer savvy, I know enough to be dangerous with one. After googling, I came across this link, which has an XDF file for 0411 PCMs. Is it for all 0411s? I really don’t know. I’m just playing on a bench so nothing can be seriously harmed. Honestly I’m able to get my hands on 0411s pretty easy so if i brick one on accident I won’t be out much, not saying I want to brick one.

I’m going to mess around with it now. As far as I understand I only need the XDF to view it in tuner pro?
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

tonyorlo,

If you have a PCM with OSID: 12592618, you do not have a 0411 PCM. You have a 2005 P59 PCM. I personally do not think there is a XDF for the OSID you have there. I can be wrong though...

EDIT: Look for the service number on the sticker of the PCM you presently have (if it's still there). It should be either a 12589462, or a 12589463

Hope this helps
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Seems to be wondering XDFs on the web from people that bought the tool on Ebay which has them for the P59s. Not sure if that specific OSID is supported but... they are about.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
tonyorlo
72 karmann ghia

Post by tonyorlo »

DavidBraley wrote:tonyorlo,

If you have a PCM with OSID: 12592618, you do not have a 0411 PCM. You have a 2005 P59 PCM. I personally do not think there is a XDF for the OSID you have there. I can be wrong though...

EDIT: Look for the service number on the sticker of the PCM you presently have (if it's still there). It should be either a 12589462, or a 12589463

Hope this helps

David,

I apologize, those screen shots where from when I was messing with version 009, using the mock devices. I really came into it blind, but quickly realized I was messing with a “dummy vin”. I am not sure what year the pcm I am using is, but I did crack it open and it is a 0411.