J1850 VPW Sniffer

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
jlvaldez
cars: '01 - Corvette Z06
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Re: J1850 VPW Sniffer

Post by jlvaldez »

babbish wrote:I wanted a sniffer as well a few months ago and I already had some Bluepill STM32 boards so I wrote some code to do the VPW -> UART for them, I was planning on writing about it/publishing it but haven't had the time yet.
The best thing about those boards are they are ~$3 USD including the programmer (subsequent boards are cheaper without the programmer) from Aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32649400326.html)

The code definitely isn't very good but it does mostly work, so if anyone wants a copy let me know and I'm happy to send it. Eventually I hope to clean it up and implement writing with correct contention handling as well, which would make this a very cheap very nice tool.

The one caveat is the voltage obviously, these are 3V boards, but for sniffing a simple voltage divider (2 resistors) worked perfectly, obviously writing would be more involved but I'm hoping the PCM is more sensitive to out of spec voltages than it should be.
I see this is your first post! Thanks for chiming in. Those are cheap boards, wow! $3. I'd like to write to the ECUs ideally. I really would like some software to make sniffing easier.
Highlander
cars: Z06

Post by Highlander »

What program are you using to send all these commands?
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Highlander wrote:What program are you using to send all these commands?
This is the original tool`s thread.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7718

The analyzer integrated in universal patcher program.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7753