Newbie to this LSDroid/PCM Hammer world

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Re: Newbie to this LSDroid/PCM Hammer world

Post by aaronc7 »

Gampy, thanks for the reply, I will get the device ID tomorrow.

At the end of my reads, both times it said "the connection was excellent" or something like that. I guess next time I will have to look a bit closer to see if all messages succeeded on first try.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Welp, considering my level of CRS I would have to go look in the code, but I'm pretty sure the 'You have an excellent connection' comment is in the same paragraph of success as the 'All read-request messages succeeded on the first try.'.

You should be good to go ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

[09:29:53:141] PCM Hammer 014
[09:29:55:255] Thanks for using PCM Hammer.
[09:29:56:319] Voltage: 12.5V
[09:29:56:366] Elm ID: ELM327 v1.4b
[09:29:56:491] ScanTool device ID: STN1151 v4.7.4

I bought this back in 2015, hardware detailsL

OBDLink MX Bluetooth
Rev 2.2/R4
Build date: 3/24/2015

Firmware: 4.7.4 (latest)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Thank you very much sir!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

Gampy wrote:Thank you very much sir!
@Gampy

Well, I just tried to read the same PCM again and had endless errors and after 15 minutes it was only 10 percent complete, so I cancelled it. Tried it a few more times and on a different PC with same result. Same firmware, same car otherwise.

I have no idea why it worked flawlessly before and now it's having all sorts of issues, but it's convinced me to get a better solution moving forward.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Welp, obviously it's your prerogative to use whatever you like, however if it were me I'd like to know why it works sometimes and not others ... It would drive me up the wall wondering!

Are you flashing in car or on the bench??

If in car, try pulling fuses for other modules to see if that resolves the issue, or use a bench harness.

Is it a Blue Tooth issue??

A debug log would be helpful ...

-Enjoy

aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

No, I am the same way. I'm also very curious as to why it worked flawlessly , then terrible another time. I usually can't let things rest until I figure it out. Looks like the OBDX is sold out right now anyways.

I'll definitely give it another go and save the debug log this time.

I don't think it's a BT issue, that's why I tried to 2 different PCs. One of them was a newer windows tablet that had just been wiped. Not paired to any other BT devices. The MX works fine with phone apps.

It is installed in the car and I suspect that might be why it's having the comms issues, but again it's strange that it was working before. Been thinking about making a bench harness anyways to better support my tinkering around.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Cool ...

In car ... I suspect there is a module on the network that doesn't always shut up when told to!
A common problem, start pulling fuses until you find it.

I do have something I'd like to try if you're willing to try a custom test build (or if you build the source yourself).

aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

I will be happy to try a custom build... My coding experience is not much so I'll let you do the building :).